Changed my Net Calories... Question

Options
So when I looked at my profile page and what my projections are for food, execerise, etc. it said at 1200 calories I would lose 1.3 lbs a week. I want to bump that up to 2 lbs per week so in order for this to happen I had to lesson my calories from 1200 to 850. Which would make my Net Calories Intake per day 850 (which is also including my calories burned that I eat back) . Do you think this is ok ??????

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    No, it's not ok. You need to net at least 1200 calories per day to be healthy. You could lose faster by eating less, but then you'd be losing muscle as well as fat, and you'd be undernourished. Netting so few calories could also completely stall your weight loss because your body will think you're starving it. 1.3 lbs per week is an excellent pace. And as you get closer to your goal, your weight loss will probably slow down, and that's a GOOD thing. Keeping your body healthy is key while you're trying to lose weight. If you don't keep your body healthy during the process, you'll be more likely to put the weight back on later.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Noooo. Definitely not ok!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ what they said ^^^^

You shouldn't be losing 2lbs a week. You should proly be at 1lb even.
  • caschw
    caschw Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Easy for me to say but I would increase the exercise not restrict the calories.
  • rlmarti4
    rlmarti4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says not to, but I cut mine to 1000. If I'm hungry I dont beat myself about going over, but hey it's my body and I dont starve myself. I think the biggest thing is to listen to your body. If you dont have energy and you are hungry, EAT. I have a ton of energy and I eat when I am hungry, thats all there is to it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So when I looked at my profile page and what my projections are for food, execerise, etc. it said at 1200 calories I would lose 1.3 lbs a week. I want to bump that up to 2 lbs per week so in order for this to happen I had to lesson my calories from 1200 to 850. Which would make my Net Calories Intake per day 850 (which is also including my calories burned that I eat back) . Do you think this is ok ??????

no it's not. MFP won't even go below 1200. To lose a pound per week you would need a daily 500 calorie deficiency off your BMR. So your BMR would have to be 1700. How much weight you can lose in a week has more to do with the difference between your BMR and the Calorie goal that MFP gave you. (I'm at 1480 and 1250 - set to lose a 1/2 pound per week. If I upped that to a pound per week then MFP will put me at 1200 which isn't a big enough calorie deficit to lose a pound per week - but I can't do 980 calories per day because that is too low). If you want to lose 2 pounds a week you would have to have a BMR of 2200 and have a 1000 calorie per day deficit to put you at 1200. If your BMR is low then it is impossible to get the nutrition and calories you need to stay above 1200.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I would go back and relook at your numbers. If your body is capable of losing over 50 pounds (based on what I'm seeing in your ticker), this number should not be correct. Are you sure your age, height, weight, etc. is all entered correctly?
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    I would recommend carb cycling to jump start your weight loss again.... do low carb for 3 days and high carb for 3. keep your calories at 1200 though... so the first 3 days only eat fruits and veggies as your carbs and then the next 3 days eat more whole wheat, sweet potatos, brown rice... etc...

it will shock your body and give you that jumpstart you might be looking for (im assuming your weight loss has come to a stand still and this is why you're trying to de crease your calories?) do this for a couple of weeks and see how it goes, if it doesnt work we can evaluate the situation and do a process of elimination. Its all trial and error, everyone is different
  • sarahlauren18
    sarahlauren18 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ok .. So I went back and read some posts that are pinned and it makes sense to me now. I am not stuck with my weight loss.. I'm just being greedy !! LOL ... I bumped it back up to 1200, I def want to be healthy and do it right so I will continue with what I am doing :)

Sorry .. sometimes you get off track, thanx for keeping me in line !!!