Low-Cal Cupcakes?

Options
Hi, I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or recipes for low-cal cupcakes. I love red velvet and chocolate cake, but I don't love that they seem to stick to my hips. Please help!

Replies

• udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You should go check out Hungry Girl Lisa Lilian. I love her recipes.
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above!! She has awesome low cal cupcake recipes.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    make them using canned pumpkin for the eggs and oil and you will never taste the pumpkin in them! My kids and I love them! Still add the water though! Good luck!
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I posted this in another thread, but am reposting for you.

I decided to make these tonight after watching HG's show Saturday on chocolate goodies. These are delicious! As she did on the show, I poured the batter from the bowl into a pourable measuring cup to fill the cupcakes. Couldn't be easier! Just note that you only use 1/2 the box of cake mix. Gee, guess I need to make these again since I have 1/2 a box of cake left!!

CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW MADNESS CUPCAKES

1 packet 25-calorie hot cocoa mix
    1/2 (18 1/4-ounce) box devil's food cake mix (about 1 3/4 cups)
    1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
    1 tablespoon no-calorie granulated sweetener (recommended: Splenda) or granulated sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

GLAZE:
    1/4 cup jet-puffed marshmallow creme
    1 teaspoon light vanilla soymilk

TOPPING:
    1 tablespoon mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more, for optional garnish
    12 mini marshmallows, plus more for garnish, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups and/or spray with nonstick spray.

For the cupcakes:
    In a tall glass, combine cocoa mix with 2 ounces hot water. Stir until cocoa dissolves. Add 6 ounces cold water and stir well.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, egg substitute, sweetener, and salt. Add cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth.

Evenly distribute cake mixture among the prepared muffin cups.

Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool.

To make the glaze:

Put the marshmallow creme in a small dish. Add soymilk and mix well.

Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, drizzle marshmallow glaze over them. Top each cupcake with 1/4 teaspoon chocolate chips and one mini marshmallow.

Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish the cupcakes with additional chocolate chips and marshmallows, if using.

PER SERVING (1 glazed and topped cupcake): 113 calories, 2g fat, 230mg sodium, 21.5g carbs, 0.75g fiber, 13.5g sugars, 2g protein
  • danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why not just have one, truly awesome regular cupcake and not worry about how many calories it has?
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    omg the marshmallow chocolate madness cupcakes are AMAZING!!
  • megamix12
    Options
    I made Hungry Girl Brownies for my Super Bowl party this past weekend and everyone loved them! I simply added 1 can of pumpkin to a box of Devils Food cake mix, poured into a mini muffin pan, baked at 400F for 12 minutes and ooeey gooey perfection! each brownie bite has about 60 calories or 1 regular muffin about 180. I was so impressed by how good they taste that I tried it with muffins last night. I bought whole grain banana nut mix, added 1 cup of pumpkin, and this morning had one for breakfast - only 160 yummy moist calories :) Also, for the brownie bites, last night I made them into a 175 calorie dessert. Add 10 raspberries, and some fat free whip cream in a bowl with 3 brownie bites- heaven! Oh and one more tip, if you want some guilt free icing, drizzle some marshmallow fluff on top of the brownies :)
  • hennessy1080
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the ideas so quickly! I will definitely check out Hungry Girl. Also, I am excited to try the Chocolate Marshmellow Madness, and my husband will love the brownies! Oh, and I never thought about using pumpkin as a substitute. Fantastic ideas! Thanks!

Oh, and I can stop at one cupcake (usually) but my husband can't. That is why I need these options. Ha. Thanks everyone!
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Mix a box of Red Velvet cake mix with Can of Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper. Bake according to box. Thats it Fabulous!!
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Mega ~ can you actually taste the pumpkin in those cupcakes? I was wanting to make them but pumpkin is one food that I cannot eat (maybe bad childhood memories!). If it just adds creaminess to the brownie cupcakes without being overwhelmingly pumpkiny tasting, I may try that! :smile:
  • kelliebeth
    Options
    Bump:drinker:
  • megamix12
    Options
    no you absolutely cannot taste the pumpkin :) I was a little skeptical myself... I even made my boyfriend try them before I would. And added bonus is the brownie batter tastes delicious! and no need to worry about gettin sick because there are no eggs! haha :) I didnt buy store bought pumpkin though so not sure if that makes a difference. My mom had pureed and canned her own pumpkin so I used that. Be sure not to get pumpkin pie filing, pure pumpkin only... good luck!
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    I KNOW THIS SOUNDS GROSS BUT I JUST TRIED IT TODAY AND ITS NOT BAD!

USE ONE BOX OF ANY CAKE MIX
    AND 1 CAN OF ANY TYPE SODA ( DIET OR REGULAR)

MIX AND COOK PER DIRCETIONS ON BOX IN CUPCAKE PAN

EAT AS IS OR

ADD COOL WHIP ( FAT FREE OR NOT)

I AM THINKING ABOUT MAKE WITH STRAWBERRY MIX AND DIET SPRITE
    AND USING COOL WHIP (FAT FREE) WITH CUT UP STRAWBERRIES AS ICING

YUM YUM!!
  • SARAHWALKER25
    Options
    NO EGGS NO OIL!!!!!
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options