Eating healthy at a Thai restaurant?

Options
I love Thai food but I haven't eaten there since I began my weightloss journey. I'm going to a Thai restaurant tonight for a business meeting and wondering what everyone's favorite low cal/low fat foods are at a Thai restaurant? I've had the Hot and Sour soup recommended but any entree suggestions?

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think I looked this up a while ago and Pad Thai was one of the better selections. It's really hard to know what kind of calories you're eating since they tend to give huge portions
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I think I looked this up a while ago and Pad Thai was one of the better selections. It's really hard to know what kind of calories you're eating since they tend to give huge portions

I agree- the portions are huge. I always get the chicken or tofu pad thai. It's not real low cal but I make room for it when planning my meals in the morning. You can still eat things like that just stay within your calorie goal for the day.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Agree about the portion thing. I often don't finish the whole meal, take some home for next day.
  • kflanigin
    Options
    Have you looked to see if the restaurant has any nutritional information on their website, or if it's a chain, maybe someone has entered some entrees into the database. Worth a look anyway...

In general I've found Thai restaurants offer pretty filling vegetarian dishes (that coming from a "meat n' potatos" girl!). About the portions, ask if they will give you a to-go box with your dish so you can right away decide what your dinner portion is going to be and put the rest away to keep away from temptation. Since you will be with co-workers, if they give you weird looks, just tell them you want to make sure to have enough for lunch tomorrow!
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I too love, love Thai food. Surely there is more than Pad Thai that is lower in calories. I agree with the vegetables. But.........We need more.....
  • hope_khm
    Options
    Soup is a good choice, Tom Kai Gai is a clear broth soup with vegetables. Soups made with coconut milk are high in calories. Phad thai is the highest calorie choice - average calorie is 712 per serving... fat 27gr carb 70gr protein 52gr. It's noodles, egg, nuts, sweet sauce and protein!!!
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Basil chicken is my favorite!! lots of veggies.
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Found a news article with info:

Restaurant Dining Guide: Healthy THAI Food Choices
    Keywords: dining-out, dinner, healthy-food, restaurant, restaurant-dining-guide, thai-food
    Add Comment Email Page Bookmark Page Post on Twitter Share on Facebook

Enjoy dining out? Learn even more healthy eating options with our complete Restaurant Dining Guide!

Thailand has introduced Americans to the biggest food trend in decades. Influenced by the cuisine of neighboring India and China, Thai food combines flavors and ingredients in a way that gives it a distinct personality all its own.

Like other Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines where meat is scarce and expensive, Thai cuisine is rice- and noodle-based. Since Thailand is formed around a gulf, there is a large variety of fish dishes. In general, Thai food is light and combinations of herbs and spices yield sour, salty, hot and sweet flavors in every bite. Many of the herbs used are thought to have medicinal benefits, such as aiding digestion, as well. The harmonious blend of flavors and fragrances makes Thai food irresistible to Western palates.

A major element in Thai cuisine is the yam (sometimes spelled yum), a kind of salad. Unlike traditional salad as we know it, a yam can be made of pork, beef or other protein, dressed with ingredients such as nam pla (fermented fish-flavored sauce), salt, lemon or lime juice, garlic or shallots, and chilies. For example, sliced steak soaked in lime juice and mixed with chilies, onion, tomato, cucumber, coriander leaves and lettuce are the ingredients that compose nuur yung namtok, yet the same flavor mix used with a base of sliced squid yields yum pla muk. If you’re feeling adventurous, frog legs are a Thai specialty, and are prepared in many different ways.

Thais do not eat in traditional, individual courses the way we do; they enjoy a communal eating experience. All the dishes are placed on the table where diners can sample a little bit of everything, family-style. Some of the most common flavorings you’ll find in Thai dishes are coconut milk, lemongrass, tamarind, nam pla, ginger, galangal (a member of the ginger family that tastes like a cross between ginger and pepper), garlic, cilantro, basil, palm sugar, turmeric, cumin, green onions, shallots, peanuts, lime juice and kaffir lime leaves, in addition to chilies in varying degrees of heat.

Know Your Menu

Fish cake: Patties of ground fish and curry paste combined with ground shrimp and usually served over a salad

Steamed dumplings: Ground pork, shrimp and Thai herbs in paper-thin wrappers

Pad thai: The classic and most popular of Thai dishes, a noodle-based dish that incorporates shrimp, green onions, eggs, dried tofu, bean sprouts and chopped peanuts

Curry: Thailand is famous for curries, usually beef, chicken or shrimp simmered in coconut milk with mixtures of different curry pastes (red, yellow, green), and sometimes potatoes, peas, bamboo shoots, basil and hot chilies

Are you ready to lose weight? Get your perfect plan for the perfect price and get the body you want in 2011! Join eDiets today and lose 10 pounds for only $20!

At Thai Restaurants

Choose…
    tom yum koong (shrimp and mushrooms simmered in hot-and-sour broth with coriander, lime leaves and lemongrass)

Instead of…
    dumplings or spring rolls

Choose…
    sauteed shrimp or beef with basil, onion and chilies

Instead of…
    pad thai

Choose…
    sauteed scallops and shrimp (or beef or pork) with mushrooms, zucchini and chili paste

Instead of…
    any curry dish

Choose…
    sauteed beef, chicken or pork with shrimp paste and green beans

Instead of…
    sauteed beef, chicken or pork with ginger, black bean sauce and green onion

Choose…
    sauteed mixed vegetables

Instead of…
    Thai fried rice with vegetables and eggs

Choose…
    steamed mussels with Thai herbs and garlic sauce

Instead of…
    deep-fried whole fish with sweet-and-sour sauce

Tips

– Avoid bean thread, a vermicelli-like noodle that appears in many dishes not specifically listed as such and is high in carbohydrates.

– Anything listed on the menu as pad will almost certainly be a noodle dish.

– If you order curry, request one that doesn’t contain potatoes.

– In general, stick to dishes that are quickly sauteed with lemongrass and/or basil, other aromatic Thai herbs and vegetables.

– Many Thai dishes use sweet ingredients — pineapple, oyster sauce, sweet-and-sour sauce — which should be consumed in moderation, to complement more pungent ones.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Tom yum and veggie pad see ew are my go-tos.