Need to gain 20 pounds

Options
igorv22
igorv22 Posts: 2 MFP Moderator
I'm 6 feet tall and way underweight (141lbs), wondering how can I gain 20 lbs?:smile:

Replies

• bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that there are plenty of us that can tell you how we gained weight-- and it wasn't hard to do. Eat and sit on your butt-- and any selection of cheesecake can be a good jump start.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    you can have my 20 and I'll be free of this extra weight!!!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Eat Susy Q's, milkyways, pizza, hamburgers, chips, candy, drink pop/soda, fried food, etc.
    Sit around and don't move a finger if u dont have to.
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My hubby has the same problem
  • lynzyn
    lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Work outs hard core workouts weights especially and PLENTY OF PROTEIN....Muscle weighs more than fat so with that said u know what u have to do...Good luck oh by the way u can have my extra 30 pounds too lol.....
  • nsmith1978
    Options
    Most of us on here want to loose, but I know from friends of mine that gaining can be equally hard and frustrating! From researching nutrition and from taking some college courses (I'm not certified) my suggestion would be to eat lots of protein and start weight training. Weight training helps you gain muscle which weighs more than fat! Don't go eat bad food to gain, you still want to be healthy! Also if you havn't; try to see your doctor and see if you can get referred to a nutritionist! Good luck!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure he wants to gain a healthy 20 lbs, haha!

I suggest eating a lot of healthy foods and working out. You should probably stay away from cardio workouts because they are designed to make you loose weight and stick to weight training.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so putting on muscle weight would be good for you.
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Up your calorie intake!!

Healthy fats include sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids, such as tuna, salmon, flax, and walnuts. Good sources of protein include lean meats, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes. Healthy carbohydrate sources include fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

It may be easier to eat five or six smaller balanced meals per day rather than eating three large meals, especially if you are not used to eating much at one sitting.

Protein powders and nutritional supplement drinks can be consumed as in-between meal snacks if you still need more calories.
  • texasguy
    texasguy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Get Drunk, feed the munchies, then repeat.
  • vikeschick42
    Options
    Although most of us are jealous as heck of your problem, I know it's just as serious as those of us who are trying to lose weight.

Contrary to what people will joke about, stay away from all the junk food and sugar. That will make you gain fat, which I'm sure is not what you want to do. Do like a few others have said. Eat high protein foods and lift weights. Go to a nutrition store like GNC and see what they have as far as supplements go (for protein). Also know that it will take time, so be patient. Also, eat often. A guy here at work is doing the same thing and he eats every 2 hours. A turkey sandwich, a hard boiled egg, a peanut butter sandwich, etc. Keep fueling your muscles.

Good luck!
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Trade? :laugh:

Keep it healthy, but add in more good fats. Think natural peanut butters, avocados, nuts, olive oils, etc. Eat a decent amount of whole grain carbs (pasta, whole grain breads) and do some weight training. You'll find a lot of support here =)
  • hugh_jass
    Options
    My friend has the same problem as you (curses!) and he has to workout constantly and drink protein shakes 2-3 times a day on top of regular meals. You probably want to workout 3 times a week, one day will be super heavy (1-5 reps), one day will be medium (8-10 reps) and one day should be light (10-20 reps). Each day you should workout your entire body (compound exercises work best) and let your body rest in between.. this is where your muscle is built. By varying your load you workout difference muscle fibres so it _should_ be the most efficient way to gain. My friend can put on 20 pounds if he sticks to his workouts and his diet, as soon as he slacks he loses his weight.. pretty much the reverse of my problem :P

I hope to god some day someone invents a machine that transfers your excess metabolism to people who really need it ;-)
  • luvmyjenna
    luvmyjenna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sadly, Igor, 99% of the people on this site have the opposite problem from you. However, I've been told that gaining weight for you is more difficult than losing weight for someone like me. You don't just want to gain fat. You want to put on lean, healthy weight and muscle. As lynzyn says, plenty of protein and weight workouts should help with that. You should check with your doctor and a nutritionist too. I also think that sometimes getting older will correct your problem, since most people's metabolisms slow down as they age. Maybe by the time you are 50 you'll be just where you want to be! Good luck! I know it's not as easy as it might seem to the rest of us.

Robin

:smile:
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am actually in a similar boat as you, but i am only trying to gain back 3-4 pounds.

I would still exercise as it is a good thing to do for your heart and body overall. You should probably be focusing more on strength training to gain muscle weight, you don't want 20 pounds of fat on you!

You just need to set a daily calorie goal and commit to meet it everyday. Plan your meals to divide the calories up and eat whatever you have left at the end of the day. Of course, you should not be doing this with cheeseburgers and milk shakes, but you obviously have more room in your diet for that than most. Focus on healthy fats and your proteins - some animal, more plant based.

Have fun and good luck!
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You have a BMI of 19.2. You're not underweight. Your bmi range is 18.5 to 25.

We are so accustomed to seeing overweight people that our view of normal looks underweight.

If you do want to put on some lean mass, look at your diet and begin some resistance training.

I would strongly suggest you look here. www.scoobysworkshop.com
  • Alicia_Sundance
    Options
    definitely check you diet to add more calories.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends.

How is your appetite? It's hard to just eat more food, and not necessarily healthy.
    Would you consider weightlifting? You don't have to join a gym and pump iron all day. You could do plenty at home with the minimum of equipment.

I have plenty of friends who have a very effective two exercise routine that consists of dead lifts and military presses. Both of those increase practical stregnth, and can create a nice physique. Going for a nice brisk walk with a heavy, but comfortable, back pack will build up your core and lower body.

How about your energy level? Do you get enough sleep? Sleep is your friend. The only bad thing about sleep is that you are never awake to enjoy it... sigh.
  • Jenn421
    Options
    you can gladly have 20 pounds off me lol.