Flabby Arms

Options
Hello all,

I'm looking for some good arm exercises - I am getting married in March, wearing a sleeveless dress, and I want to do as much as possible to avoid the "flabby arm" look.

So far, I do:

Overhead press
Bicep curl
Tricep extension
Front raises
Bent over row

3 reps of 12 each with 5lb weights.

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Replies

• irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Just keep losing the weight and it will come off. I run and they seem to firm up and look better on the days I run, just from swinging my arms back and forth. :)
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    yep with arms unfortunately you cant target, and according to my bf (whos a certified trainer) arms are the most diffiicult spot on women and actually when you get past a certain age is almost impossible to minimize (thats a much older age). So my advice because I def have flabby chubby arms but they have gotten a lot better- is to continue to lose weight & do strenth conditioning like you are w/light weights & high repititions :)
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    As you lose weight, the "flab" will come off, along with the rest of your body. Pushups are great, too, as they work your arms, chest, and back. They add a nice "lift" to the chest, which is kind of nice for the wedding dress, too.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to up the weight on those exercises when you're not struggling anymore. I do the same exercises with 10lb weights... its a struggle but I can tell a difference.
    -Ashley :flowerforyou:
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Google tricep exercises.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    yep with arms unfortunately you cant target, and according to my bf (whos a certified trainer) arms are the most diffiicult spot on women and actually when you get past a certain age is almost impossible to minimize (thats a much older age). So my advice because I def have flabby chubby arms but they have gotten a lot better- is to continue to lose weight & do strenth conditioning like you are w/light weights & high repititions :)

I totally agree with that. I'm almost 40 and my arms are horrible! The more weight I lose, the worst they look and I am doing the strength conditioning but other than good muscle tone it's not accomplishing much. I still have the ugly loose skin.
  • irishgal44
    Options
    I totally agree with that. I'm almost 40 and my arms are horrible! The more weight I lose, the worst they look and I am doing the strength conditioning but other than good muscle tone it's not accomplishing much. I still have the ugly loose skin.

Oh, that sucks to hear. I have terrible arms. So flabby underneath that when I wave goodbye to people, they wave as well. I hate them. They do look better after I run...and when I shed weight. My mom is 100 lbs soaking wet, and she also has flabiness under her arms...so I assume it's something I have inherited and something I will just have to accept. :explode:
  • irishgal44
    Options

Oh, that sucks to hear. I have terrible arms. So flabby underneath that when I wave goodbye to people, they wave as well. I hate them. They do look better after I run...and when I shed weight. My mom is 100 lbs soaking wet, and she also has flabiness under her arms...so I assume it's something I have inherited and something I will just have to accept. :explode:
  • goodforeyou
    goodforeyou Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, the "flab" will come off, along with the rest of your body. Pushups are great, too, as they work your arms, chest, and back. They add a nice "lift" to the chest, which is kind of nice for the wedding dress, too.

Yes! Pushups! Exactly what I was going to suggest. :)
  • ladyrayado
    ladyrayado Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I forgot about the power of the push-up. I did a set last night and already feel it!

Thanks again!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    up your weights 5 is to lite to build muscle and you do want to build there. use 8 and 10 lbs lower your reps if you need and keep gone up once you can do 12 well. Push ups and side arm extensions good luck
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    5lb weights will do very little in terms of building muscle that's actually meant to be visible, i.e. tone!

You can flabby arms for various reasons... excess fat... excess skin... very little lean mass underneath the fat or skin.

Excess fat = cardio / Little muscle = strength training on hard weights

Excess skin usually means the surgeon's knife so let's for get that for a bit.

Google "New Rules of Lifting for Women".

I shoulder press 10kg dumbells.

Don't be paranoid about "bulking". Women don't bulk. But if you want to see results you need to start lifting properly.