What you "should" weigh?

Options
Ok I was looking at this Target weight range: 101.2 - 136.7 lbs. Ok this is a big difference! So if I am suppose to be at the high end of that how is the BMI figured? From the low end or high end or middle? I don't see how with such a big difference that all can be in same boat for same weight and height with different body types.

Replies

• heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i am 6'1" and my "healthy" target is 140.2 - 189.5 lbs
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Is this a BMI healthy weight range? Because a healthy BMI is anywhere between 18.5 and 25 isn't it? So the range is quite large anyway, allowing for people of most shapes and sizes.

I'm sure there are plenty of websites that could tell you YOUR ideal range xx
  • carolyng66
    carolyng66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think for my age and height, I'm supposed to be 145lbs. I find that a vague number because while I'm well over that weight, I do a lot of weight training, so some of this weight is muscle.
  • sarahaha
    Options
    a target weight range means for your height, you can weigh between this number and that number and still be considered at a healthy weight. it doesn't matter if you're at the low end, 101, or the high end. it's just personal preference, because that's the healthy range a person your height.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    And I am 5'8" and have a range of 125-164. It is to allow for differences in bone structure, muscle mass and build.

If you have very little muscle mass and small bone structure, you can probably reach the lower end. If you build lots of lean muscle or have a larger bone structure, you will probably be better off at the upper end of the range.
  • 55tolose
    55tolose Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    thats because for that target weight range there is also a bmi range

My target range at 5'2 is anywhere from 102 with a BMI of 18.7 and 136 with a BMI of 24.9 All of those weight ranges are in the Healthy weight range.

What you do is just aim for the high end and then see how you feel from there...
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the BMI is only accurate for 40% of the population...meaning it's wrong for more people than it's right.

I'm still not sure exactly what a good goal weight for myself is. On Sunday I have my first appointment with a PT, and first thing on the agenda is a Body fat % test. Once that done I'll have a good idea of where I need to be.

When I started I knew my goal weight was so far off that not knowing the exact goal weight shouldn't be a reason to not start. My loss has slowed to the point that after Sunday I'm going to focus more on body compesition than weight. I will say I know my primary indicators like resting HR, & BP are in the healthy range now, and have been for a while. Which was my most important goal. Love handles are irritating...but not deadly.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    How tall are you? A healthy BMI is like 18 to 25. When I'm done, I plan on having a BMI somewhere around a 23.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think that depends on a lot of factors. Like do you have a muscular build at that weight? Are you large or small boned. Maybe when you get to the top of that range determine what percentage of body fat you have. I think that's better than a generic weight range to go by.
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The reason for there being such a big difference is in your body type/bone structure. The lower end of my bmi is too thin. At 120 my ribs would be poking out. But on someone else same height but different build may look great on them. I'm pushing the heavy end of my normal bmi. I know I would look my best at 135. Not 163 or 120. Which is the high and low of my bmi. So once you get in the normal range then you will be able to better determine where you should be and where it's easier to maintain.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was once in my "healthy" weight range (range is 115-155, I weighed 142) and I honestly can say I looked sick. I am a wide-hipped, wide-shouldered, strong person and I have accepted that I will probably never be able to weigh, maintain, and love my body and life at any weight lower than 155. I'm OK with that. I'm excited to get there! My goal right now is actually 165 and my Dr and I agree that that is not only reasonable and realistic, it's healthy for my body style. "They" don't know it all.

As for BMI, the calculators are based on what you weigh and what your height is. They are flawed, but close. If you go have a body fat reading with a physical therapist or nutritionist, you will probably find that their reading is different, and more accurate, than what you get when you plug your numbers in on line. "Healthy" BMI is I believe for women somewhere between 19 and 25 %, so that's where the 50lb range comes from. We have to have some fat on us for reproductive purposes, otherwise we stop having periods like tiny gymnasts sometimes do and face a whole host of other health problems.

Bottom line: Get an accurate BMI reading and discuss with your Dr what is the best weight/BMI range for you personally.
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    BMI isn't really a good way to determine an individual's health, but it works perfectly when looking at the population overall. What we can determine with the BMI is this, if over 50 percent of the population has a BMI that exceeds 25 percent, we have a lot more cases of diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, and early deaths.

With that said, if you look in the mirror, and your stomach protrudes over your waistline when you turn to the side, you need to lose weight. If you continue to lose weight to the point that your stomach doesn't protrude over your waistline, but you have a BMI under 25, then you know that you need to be within your optimum BMI range.

If you're a bigger person, but don't have a stomach that protrudes over your waistline, no signs of heart disease, a great deal of muscles, but your BMI exceeds 25 but under a 30, then you're probably okay to be outside of your BMI range.

People that exceed a 30 BMI probably need to lose weight.