Going to the movies tomorrow - Yikes! And it's not a horror.

Options
Tomorrow I am going to the movies. I am a little scared because movie popcorn is one of my weaknesses. I think it's the smell that gets me when I walk through the doors. But I am bound and determined to go and not buy any popcorn. I think I will purchase a beverage and bring perhaps a fibre one bar - I absolutely love those! So yummy and satisfying.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Wish me luck!

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wish I had suggestions for you - but movie theater popcorn is the one think I cannot and will not eat in moderation....

I envy your determination to not get any... I could never do it lol.
  • jooge75
    jooge75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I Bring frozen blueberries and suck on them during the movie. Low calorie and delish! Just beware of blue fingers once the lights turn on. :-)
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Maybe do what I do and get too outraged at the price to buy anything :happy:
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try eating a meal before your movie; one that is filling, but not to the point where you'll be uncomfortable during the movie. Or, like you said, take your own [healthy, filling] snacks. Or plug your nose and run past the concession stands! ;) Enjoy your movie and good luck!
  • illflyaway
    Options
    Going to movies also. We eat somewhere before going to movie, and if you get munchies at movie munch on ice...
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would just pop some 94% fat free popcorn at home ,,ziplock it and go !! :)
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Pop some light microwaveable popcorn and sneak it in!
  • SERIOUS2
    Options
    You could always eat popcorn at home before you leave, lite popcorn this way you would have filled the need to eat popcorn. I know it's not the same as movie popcorn but it will satisfy your need to have popcorn and you are not denying yourself what you want.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Make your own popcorn at home and take it!! That's what I do!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest bringing your own beverage so you don't even have to go up to the snack stand!
    Good luck!
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you gal! You could also bring in some rice cakes (minis) They are crunchy and satisfy. I love them when I need a chip or I put peanut butter on the caramel ones and it tastes like a whatchamacalit. Hahaha, well sorta. You get the point though. A coke zero is great too. I like them better than diet coke. Just my personal oppinion. Good luck at the movies. I may be in a similar postition and have already been thinking myself. LOL! Have a good weekend regardless.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating lean protein and vegetables in the morning and afternoon to help build up an allowance for that night. Keep your carbs low throughout the day and splurge a little at the movies. :)
  • trisha329
    trisha329 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that if you do decide to pop your own at home and bring it with you....wait until the popcorn cools down BEFORE you put it in a ziploc bag....just trust me on this one! :wink:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating lean protein and vegetables in the morning and afternoon to help build up an allowance for that night. Keep your carbs low throughout the day and splurge a little at the movies. :)

I agree!

I am appalled at all the people advising her to sneak outside food into the theatre. Shameful.
  • Pattilynne
    Options
    Resist the extra butter topping when offered... i get the popcorn, just so i'm not tempted to get the snow caps.... i try for the lesser of two evils
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do. Get a diet soda (or bring a bottle of water) and bring in a fiber one bar. The oats and chocolate satsify that chocolate craving. There is a new one from Kelloggs that is called a caramel coconut fudge bar. Tastes a lot like a Girl Scout Samoa cookie. yummmmy (same fiber as a fiber one bar!)

I know how good that popcorn can be, but I remember eating a container some months ago, and that sodium did me in for a couple of days. Was not good. I regretted that, so I no longer buy it. I go see several movies a month by myself, and have gotten good at saying "no, thank you" to the popcorn and candy. You could try to sneak some popped at home if you have a big enough bag and wait until the lights go down. At my theater, an employee always comes in though once the lights have been down for about 10 minutes. He/she stands on the side at the front for a few minutes. I swear they are looking for snack sneakers. lol I wait until they leave to bring out my fiber bar.

Want to hear a horror story? I remember being about 12 years old (like 1984!) and my father didn't care about sneaking stuff in. He would bring in giant paper grocery bags of popcorn that he popped at home. He would just walk right in carrying those bags in his arms. I was always so mortified! He's probably the reason that movie theaters have the rules they do today. lol

Oh yeah! If you really want a candy bar, try a Truffle Crisp bar from 3 Musketeers. Low cal for a candy bar--170 calories and delicious!!

Have fun!!! :laugh:
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I went to the movies today...and my friend who knows I am restricting calories bought a large popcorn and 2 cokes. It was horrible. So, I drank not even a fourth of the coke, and very little popcorn. It wasn't too bad.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    the small popcorn at regal theaters isn't too bad if you share it with someone. my fiance and i went to the movies for the first time together since i've started this program and thats what we did. I also drank water with it instead of soda or iced tea and made sure I worked out that afternoon. Just go with small, eat slowly, and ignore the buttery topping and you'll be fine :)

Or try and get the child's serving! Movie theater popcorn is amazing.. so hard to say no but you can do it!
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the movie, and I'm happy to say I overcame the popcorn temptation. But I gotta tell ya, it was hard! I could smell the popcorn outside while walking from my car to the theatre! Now sitting here, my stomach is so happy with my decision. Usually after a choice of movie popcorn, my stomach churns and cramps all night. But not tonight! Yeah me!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the movie, and I'm happy to say I overcame the popcorn temptation. But I gotta tell ya, it was hard! I could smell the popcorn outside while walking from my car to the theatre! Now sitting here, my stomach is so happy with my decision. Usually after a choice of movie popcorn, my stomach churns and cramps all night. But not tonight! Yeah me!

Good job, girl!

For me, I just make sure I get in a good run that day (before the movie) and then when i go in, I get a diet drink, a big pickle (they sell those giant ones at Texas theaters) and then I get a small or medium popcorn and enjoy. I do add salt (yeah, I know it's naughty) but skip the "butter" (aka oil). It's my happy medium ... since one of my reasons to go to the movies is to get the popcorn. I like that Cinemark and Harkins use healthier oils. At least that makes me feel a little better. :)