Someone stop me! (Chocolate Cake)

Options
2»

Replies

• mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You should have a small manageable piece that fits into your daily caloric intake. Do not deprive yourself, just have less. It's all about portion control. People who deprive themselves tend to binge then regret, binge then regret. Have a small portion, enough to get the taste, and then stop. People who "diet" tend to fail more often than people who change their eating habits and lifestyle.

BINGO!! Finally, someone with IMHO common sense
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Whenever I want something sweet, I have a Detour Protein Bar. They sell them at Sam's and they have reasonable carbs and high protein. Try a substitute like that. Find something healthy and sweet and keep it around to combat these times. I keep prunes around too because I know I won't eat more than one or two at a time.
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) I compromised and ate 2 squares of chocolate, which I could measure and add to my daily snacks. It's helped me to get over the craving for a big wedge of cake, and hasn't hugely impacted on my daily plan. Phew! Back to carrot sticks....

Excellent! You didnt deprive yourself of anything.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think before someone has allowances they have to be in a certain place in their new healthy way of living. Everyone one just can't have a piece and cut it off. Sometimes those small allowances can lead to bigger regrets. I just wish people will be more mindful of that before they give someone the green light. Its not about depriving yourself. Its about having self-control and we see time & time again on this site that a lot of people are lacking in that area. So please ask questions before saying yeah go ahead, have a little piece.

Just my opinion.

Healthy living doesn't mean dieting. It's proven time and time again that cutting things out of your nutritional intake just because they are considered "bad" leads to binge-purge cycles. The self-control comes into play by only having a small piece and then moving the cake away to a new area. By denying yourself you are only pushing yourself further into the purge portion. By acclimating yourself to smaller portions of cake you empower yourself to have the self control to only have that portion. You can eat eat cake every day as long as you portion it correctly and take into account it's caloric value. I don't recommend it, but a study was just done by a scientist who ate nothing but sugary snack foods and maintained a caloric deficit while eating enough to keep his metabolism chugging along. Not only did he lose weight, but his blood pressure dropped, and he became healthier overall just from losing the fat.

No offense meant to anyone in this post. I've been the binge-purger most of my life but since starting MFP and researching I've been on the no denial technique. I've lost 23 pounds, and 3 inches from my waist. I just started P90X and I haven't felt this good in a long time. :)
  • staceywoo
    Options
    Uh oh, I didn't mean to provoke a full scale discussion! Thanks for the support from everyone, I think just posting the message on here helped me to get over the craving :)
    To answer questions - I'm not a binge eater, and if I could leave the office when there's treats around I would but it's an open plan office and the central table that everyone uses just happens to be 2metres away from me!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have a small piece & log the calories but only if you think you will still be able to complete the day within your calories otherwise you have to decide will you get exercise done today to balance out the cake - I got a box of chocolates today as a thank you & they've been calling me for the last 4 hours. So I decided have two & put them away (far away!!!) but if I try to not have any I'll eat the darn box!!!!:sick: