Diet Soda Drinkers need to read this

Options
So I don't know if this has been posted here yet or not, but it's definitely worthy of a read if you are a drinker of diet soda.
Just as you were starting to feel virtuous for having switched from sugary sodas to low- or no-calorie substitutes, a new study comes along suggesting that diet sodas might be bad for your head and your heart.

The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that people who drank diet soda every day had a 61 percent higher risk of vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who completely eschewed the diet drinks, according to researchers who presented their results today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles.

Read the whole article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

The article goes on to say that even when the researchers eliminated other factors such as smoking or diet, diet soda drinkers were at significantly higher risk for stroke and heart attack than those who didn't drink diet soda. While one study doesn't necessarily equal fact, the study was pretty large and over a long period of time. Anyone who drinks diet soda should definitely read this and be cautious.

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    *sips diet coke* That's interesting...
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm trying to give it up, one day at a time
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    *sips diet coke* That's interesting...

lmao!
  • Elliebee22
    Options
    These facts are totally true to those who actually drink lots of it every day. It does not apply to those who drink it once every so often i.e. once every other day :smile:
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I too am on day 2 of "trying" to get off diet Pepsi...It's really hard...I find that I only want it with a meal and that water just isn't doing it for me during meal time...I am trying though.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So I don't know if this has been posted here yet or not, but it's definitely worthy of a read if you are a drinker of diet soda.
    Just as you were starting to feel virtuous for having switched from sugary sodas to low- or no-calorie substitutes, a new study comes along suggesting that diet sodas might be bad for your head and your heart.

The study, which followed more than 2,500 New Yorkers for nine or more years, found that people who drank diet soda every day had a 61 percent higher risk of vascular events, including stroke and heart attack, than those who completely eschewed the diet drinks, according to researchers who presented their results today at the American Stroke Association’s International Stroke Conference in Los Angeles.

Read the whole article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

The article goes on to say that even when the researchers eliminated other factors such as smoking or diet, diet soda drinkers were at significantly higher risk for stroke and heart attack than those who didn't drink diet soda. While one study doesn't necessarily equal fact, the study was pretty large and over a long period of time. Anyone who drinks diet soda should definitely read this and be cautious.

I agree. I know someone who had almost daily migraines (oh and she had one 20oz bottle per day - not a lot). She finally gave up the diet soda and she doesn't get the migraines like she used to. There was also a study done on women and those who drank 3 diet sodas a day had a 30% decline in kidney function.
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Pollutants, contaminents, drugs and pesticides in our food & water supply will kill me faster then that diet coke I enjoy. Maybe they should spend their research money in cleaning up those things first.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,245 Member
    Options
    It has been posted, and there are many problems with the study from what I read even in the article in the mainstream media about it. I have not read the actual study, but the outline of it in the news article made me question some of their methodology. I think the most I would say from what I read is there is a correlation between consuming diet pop and strokes. The problem is correlation is not causality. It could be a simple as those most likely to drink diet pop are those with other risks such as being obese or the like. It certainly calls for more study, but at this point I think it is all hype.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    As normal the facts are hard to find, it also said that within this group those that alternated bettween full sugar soda and diet sode also were'nt affected.
    also sips a diet coke and thinks 'interesting' :-)
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I could also get cancer from breathing in the air......so being that I can't hold my breath for that long.....guess I will also take my chances with the diet soda...it is my one fix I cannot give up.....:ohwell:
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Does this translate to the Crystal Lights, etc. of the world?
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I LOVE diet coke but I know that I need to stop drinking it. I am down to one a day. I have started to drink flavored seltzer water and ice tea made with 1/2 black tea and 1/2 green tea.
  • nikapp13
    Options
    As normal the facts are hard to find, it also said that within this group those that alternated bettween full sugar soda and diet sode also were'nt affected.
    also sips a diet coke and thinks 'interesting' :-)

I recently changed from drinking regular coke to diet coke (with my vodka or brandy) i only drink it as a mixer not gallons per day. so if people who alternated werent affected then maybe ill do that! i dont really like the taste of diet coke and was only doing it for calorie purposes so may change back...after all a little of what you fancy...
  • ktbug1186
    Options
    Any kind of soda is full of sugar/chemicals and is pretty awful for you, even though im totally guilty of indulging in the full calorie kind. :embarassed: Plus everytime i drink anything diet im guaranteed to get a headache. Thanks for the info!!
  • skynyrdchick
    Options
    Pollutants, contaminents, drugs and pesticides in our food & water supply will kill me faster then that diet coke I enjoy. Maybe they should spend their research money in cleaning up those things first.

AMEN!!
  • catmandoodle
    Options
    bump
  • jenigirl72
    Options
    hmmm....this is scary cuz I drink alot of pepsi max every single day and think it is going to be a true challenge to quit.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It has been posted, and there are many problems with the study from what I read even in the article in the mainstream media about it. I have not read the actual study, but the outline of it in the news article made me question some of their methodology. I think the most I would say from what I read is there is a correlation between consuming diet pop and strokes. The problem is correlation is not causality. It could be a simple as those most likely to drink diet pop are those with other risks such as being obese or the like. It certainly calls for more study, but at this point I think it is all hype.

In the article it said that even when they removed other factors, i.e being obese, there was still a correlation.

I think a lot of people will naturally try to diminish the study because they don't want to give up their diet sodas, but I still find it pretty compelling. More research should be done, but this isn't the first piece of research to say that diet sodas are bad for you.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've come to notice that a lot of soda drinkers are like smokers; they know its bad for them but the enjoyment outweighs any health concern. They'd much rather deflect the negative attention onto some other unrelated issue.

To each their own but in my opinion you're healthy BMI doesn't matter much when you're still putting crap into your body.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    From the fine article...
    Still, the researchers aren’t ready to tell consumers to skip diet sodas. More studies need to be done before that happens, said the report’s lead author Hannah Gardener, an epidemiologist at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

“I think diet soda drinkers need to stay tuned,” Gardener said. “I don’t think that anyone should be changing their behaviors based on one study.

Does this mean there’s something in diet sodas that hurts our blood vessels? Nobody knows the answer to that question, yet, Gardener said. There could be something else that people who drink diet sodas have in common, she explained.

For example, it’s possible that people who drink diet sodas are replacing those saved sugar calories with other unhealthy choices, Gardener said.

When it's not just a sound bite, it's a whole lot less scary or conclusive than "OMG! Ponies! On diet soda! With heart attacks!"