How Many of You Go to Bed Hungry?

Options
13»

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to cut back on my late-night snacking, but, because of work and school, kids, etc., I work out at night. After working out I am STARVING. It is almost 11...I just got out of the shower...I am debating if I am *really* hungry, or just snacky-hungry....

Yikes, are you trying to talk yourself eating after working out??? I sure hope I misread that. Always eat after working out. Every single time, no exceptions.

Why? is there science behind this or something that I don't know about?

Yes. When you work out, you break down muscle and deplete your glycogen stores. You need carbohydrates to replenish the glycogen and protein to repair/rebuild (or at least not lose) muscle.

While just about every single around nutrition seems to have some debate around it, I have never heard of anybody making a case not to eat after exercise. Here are a few links I just found from googling. There are probably better or more authoritative examples out there. If I find a better one, I'll update later.

http://weightlossandtraining.com/post-workout-nutrition
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to cut back on my late-night snacking, but, because of work and school, kids, etc., I work out at night. After working out I am STARVING. It is almost 11...I just got out of the shower...I am debating if I am *really* hungry, or just snacky-hungry....

Yikes, are you trying to talk yourself eating after working out??? I sure hope I misread that. Always eat after working out. Every single time, no exceptions.

Yes. When you work out, you break down muscle and deplete your glycogen stores. You need carbohydrates to replenish the glycogen and protein to repair/rebuild (or at least not lose) muscle.

While just about every single around nutrition seems to have some debate around it, I have never heard of anybody making a case not to eat after exercise. Here are a few links I just found from googling. There are probably better or more authoritative examples out there. If I find a better one, I'll update later.

http://weightlossandtraining.com/post-workout-nutrition
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html

Agree!!
    It's what I was taught in my Diabetic classes. Eat a decent meal 1 - 1 1/2 hrs. before workout (usually my highest carb meal) and have a snack that involves protein and carb after workout.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    my prebedtime snack is cottage cheese and natural pb. I have this half an hour before I go to bed usually. Never hungry :)

Other day I woke up at about 3am absolutely starving though?! (so I ate a whole tub of cottage cheese :P) Same intake and exercise as normal. Sometimes our bodies just do weird stuff.
  • GlutenFreeWench
    Options
    If I get hungry- I have an apple. I have a 3 hour before bed cutoff- but within that cutoff, I'll eat an apple or some fruit:)

And lotsa water, it tends to take an edge off, and I never go to bed hungry!
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If your hungry to the point to where you think you wont be able to sleep. It will never hurt you to drink a protien shake. It will keep your body from going into starvation mode throughout the night anyway. Most times protien based foods/ supplements have no choice but to deposit as food for your muscle during the night. Its a good thing! Spare your muscle man! Dont be hungry! Being that hungry is worse on your body most times than eating a sometimes crappy choice (within reason). Just this evening thats what I had to do. A protien shake took me to bed. Hehehe!
  • DeeMonjure2B
    DeeMonjure2B Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Right. It also depends on how your lifting. I did notice that when I was lifting to "bulk"! Like REALLY heavy, I was hungrier! I had the same problem. It was only on the days I lifted like that too. It was the only common denominator for me. Could be different for you. The cottage cheese and peanut butter is an awesome choice. The peanut butter helps the protien in the cottage cheese to release more slowly throughout the night. Crap man, if you woke up starved like that, by all means EAT! Hahahaha! You got this, I can see by your choice. Good save man!
  • mollymoo89
    Options
    I get hungry at night especially if I do a late night workout. I'm usually pretty good and just eat a bowl of cereal!
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    I would : / I have a hard time sleeping as it is. It inspires workouts quite often :D Just pick a workout from the "exercise database" , and do the exercise till you have burned enough calories to make up for it WITH?!?! a snack : )
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    Your muscles are very much in need of nutrients right after working out, and they gobble up every bit of what they need (moreso than if you hadn't worked out) to start rebuilding muscle fibers. Soooo If you don't eat after training, your muscles won't get what they need resulting in No (or at least not nearly as much) muscle growth

• exercisesucks
    Options
    A protein shake will help take the edge off and give your muscles some fuel to rebuild while you are sleeping.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry!
    I eat like an apple and peanut butter or a healthy choice ice cream bar before bed. I'm always in the mood for something sweet at night. :/
  • bigskinner
    Options
    i never go to bed hungry. i eat a lot of veg with my dinners it keeps me going til the next morning, drinking a pint of water before bed, keeps the hunger away!!
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    my prebedtime snack is cottage cheese and natural pb. I have this half an hour before I go to bed usually. Never hungry :)
    This is a great suggestion and works with my diet. Thanks!
  • StaceyJ75
    Options
    The other thing you need to consider is the signals your body is sending you. Your body will send out hunger signals if it's tired at night. Basically, it's saying, "Hey, if you're going to stay up longer, I need some fuel!" I would combine the advice of earlier posters and suggest either going to bed earlier, or having a small snack earlier in the evening. It's not a good idea to eat right before you go to sleep.

I never go to sleep hungry. If I'm hungry after dinner, I'll usually eat a piece of fruit or two a few hours before I go to bed (last night I ate two bananas around 7:30 and went to sleep at 10). We usually eat dinner between 5:30 and 6:30. If I find that I'm getting hungry around 9, I drink a little and go to sleep. I've never woken up hungry in the night, but I have to eat breakfast before I exercise in the morning because I am hungry when I get up.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry. I usually eat dinner between 6-7, and will have a snack or two (depending on calories remaining) in the next few hours. Eating a snack that feels a little bit more filling in the evening will help, too.
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I got some great ideas.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Psh, even if you're sleeping, your metabolism is still going. It'd be the same as eating and then sitting on the couch and watching TV. No, you aren't exercising, but you're still burning the calories. Keep it light and small (My favorite is a little greek yogurt with some fruit, cereal and milk, or a 100 calorie popcorn pack) and you shouldn't have any adverse effects on your diet.

Right on. Your body does not care when you eat your calories at all. The problem for many with late night snacks is they can't stop so they go over their calorie budget. That isn't good, but eating within your calories late at night is not going to make any difference.