Zumba

Options
i know you burn at least 1000 calories when you do the zumba. but how do you track it on here. i do it for at least 45 mins a day- when i track it under dance it says only 289 calories...
HELP!!!!!

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You definitely don't always burn at least 1,000 cals doing Zumba! It depends on your weight, sex, and effort! I track it as Aerobics, High Impact on here.
  • Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    When I do Zumba for Wii I use the Aerobics, High Impact calorie count because I don't have an HRM. I hear the actual classes are much harder though!
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would be shocked if you were really burning 1000 calories doing Zumba . . .
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also track it as high aerobics on here! Last night I burned 500 calories!
  • iheartmemories
    Options
    You really need to use a HRM to determine exactly how many calories you are burning with Zumba. The instructor was wearing hers the day of our last class and she burned 1,100 but she knows the moves better than the class and will burn a lot more.
  • tarac93
    Options
    Yeah i've done Zumba and the teacher was wearing a calorie tracker for an hour you burn about 450 to 500 calories
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My Zumba instructor said if you really put all your effort into it, you will burn approx 500 calories.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Wow....1000 calories?? I know many people who do Zumba...never heard of any of them burning near that much! And their classes are at least 60 minutes long. How did you find this 1000 cal burn for Zumba?

That burn for 45 minutes of Zumba sounds about right....but only way to know for sure is by using a HRM. Even the calorie burns you find in MFP's database are usually over-estimated, I found this out after about a month of using the database, then doing the exact same exercises using a HRM. Many of my friends found this out too. It was a bummer.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have been averaging 500 calories for a 45 min class the few times I've borrowed a HRM from my mom, but last night only burned 315. I'm going to invest in a HRM of my own for this reason. I've been really struggling with not losing anything and this could be why. The instructor changes up the routine and last night's just wasn't as high intensity/impact as they are most of the time.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and wear a cardio fitness tracker, used to put it under dance and burned 200+ cal, but last week was told to put it under aerobics and burned 648 calories for 65 minutes of Zumba. Please note that my app has my weight, etc. so agree with those that say that it all depends on those things!
  • kps1104
    Options
    I have a HRM and wear it to class religiously and for those that doubt....I burn anywhere from 800-1200 cal per hr class :) It all depends on the workout she does for class, some are harder than others, plus it helps a ton once you know the moves cause you tend to put more energy and effort into it :) I love this class! Plus it does wonders for your legs :)
  • hope_khm
    Options
    The only true way to discover how many calories "your body" is burning is to wear a heart rate monitor (chest band) and watch. A HRM will calculate your calories burned based on your gender, height, weight and age. There is no single number for an exercise to calculate calories burned, I mean just think about it. This was proved to me last week when my sister (TrainerRobin on MFP) and I went running, or walking, or hiking side by side. She has lost 56+ pounds and so every time we went out guess who burned more calories??? Me of course, I'm more weight - older, etc.

I was positively shocked when I entered my exercise in MFP and compared it to what my Garmin 305 HRM said!! Yikes It was almost twice the calories burned....and what if I had ate the LARGE numbers of "extra" calories it was wanting to give me????.....warning warning warning. I'll tell you what, I would not have lost 4 pounds last week. Instead I manually entered the time and calories based on my HRM.

Good luck and health!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I took my first Zumba class on Wednesday. I burned 722 calories in 61 minutes. I've beendoing Zumba at home on the Kinect for about 2 weeks and I normally burn between 550 and 650 calories. It depends on which level I chose. I use a Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. I'm 38 yrs old, 5'11" and the last time I weighed on Jan 29th I was 227 lbs. All those things factor into how many calories you will burn. Oh and I was really doing it. I was sore yesterday. Still a little sore today.
  • gooteek
    Options
    Okay, I did Zumba for the first time this week because I heard how much you burn. It was difficult as the class had 40 women and me, but the class was fun and the best burn I have had in an hour except maybe with P90X and it was certainly more fun than P90X.

I just have to look past being the only guy in the class, I am sure everyone thought I was just there for other reasons...okay, it was not my initial reason...but I got the bonus plan. :love:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I burn between 1000 and 1200 cals in an hour of Zumba! My instructor is intense, I love love love it....and I'm taller and heavier and look like I stepped out of a shower when I finish the class.....it really depends on the person, time to invest in a HRM with chest strap if you really want to know for yourself!
  • dtdemarcus
    Options
    when in doubt I would put it the lowest calories burned.. otherwise you are tempted to eat way more thinking you burned it. ( just what I do!) lol
  • Gueros_Mommy
    Options
    Yea thats what i did ... lol