I have NOT cheated, but . . .

Options
I'm a bit bummed . . . this is my 2nd week, and I weigh on Fridays and Mondays. On Monday, I was down a total of 2 1/2 lb., and today (Friday), I'm on down 1/2 lb. total. I've been, on average, under my daily calorie goal by about 200 calories, I walk about an hour each day (in the hills), and I have NOT cheated. What might have happened??? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your continued support.

Replies

• M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I would stick to weighing once a week as weight can vary soo much with water retention, time of the month etc. i would forget about today and compare it to mondays weigh in if i were you :)
  • cazzincali
    cazzincali Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    sodium/salt
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you're walking in hilly areas you could be gaining muscle mass in your legs!
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your daily caloric goal is, but if you're under by 200 consistantly (and likely not eating your walking calories), then you're probably not eating enough.

There are lots of possible reasons though, which would be speculation without being able to see your diary.
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I'm right there with ya on this one. Been weighing in for 3 weeks and did great and this week, gained 3 lbs back. It was an off week for me though. Have you changed up yoru workouts at all? Are you making sure your getting enough water?
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    If you had a really big loss the first week, it's no uncommon to have a much lower loss the second week.

Also check your sodium levels and see how that is, some people are really sensitive to sodium....

Is it TOM? that always is aggravating

and are you drinking enough water?
  • rebrafe
    Options
    The EXACT thing happened to me and I have decided to weigh one time per week, up my water, up my sleep and continue on my low carb high protein diet and keep exercising. I am just going to wait it out for a few more weeks to see how my body adjusts to a consistent change. Good luck - and don't lose sight of your goal :) OH and...monitor your salt intake as well.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, but also make sure you eat at least 1200 calories... in fact, i must eat at least 1400 every day in order to lose weight
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just try to be patient. I know it's hard, but we want the weight off RIGHT NOW! We have this misconception( I did) that as soon as we change our eating habits and start exercising, it would just fall off, it doesn't! I remember when I first started, I was doing everything right! When I exercised, I would gain and when I didn't exercise, I lost! It was frustrating! I was kinda like, "why even exercise!" I kept it up, though, and it started falling off. I have came to the conclusion, that when you exercise your muscles retain water. Keep up what you are doing and try not to get frustrated. Make sure you are getting enough claories, too. GOOD LUCK!! :flowerforyou:
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    Give it time. Think about investing in a stock -- the hourly or daily graph for just about any stock looks volatile, but zoom out and you can see positive and negative trends over time. Same with weight loss. Don't be too concerned with the day-to-day fluctuations -- focus on the long-term trend that's taking you closer to your goal.

Keep up the good work and you'll see the changes.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would only weigh myself on Mondays or Fridays but not both. Weighing on both days allows more room for discouragement as the scale probably won't move much in 3 days. Speaking from personal experience, I don't allow myself to even look at the scale until my weigh-in day because if I weight myself and don't see improvement it's detrimental to my progress. Just my opinion.
    Keep up the good work!
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A Couple things,
    1. Weigh in once a week, so choose mondays/ or fridays, whatever is better for you.
    2. Weigh yourself in the morning. At night, you've eaten food all day, you need it to digest and i find you get more of a true reading in the morning.
    3. Make sure your measuring yourself. Sometimes you don't loose weight but you loose inches, which in my opinion is better :)

good luck!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I agree with only weighing in one a week, our body weight fluctuates so much, you're only setting yourself up for heartache. If you're constantly 200 calories under everyday, does that include eating your exercise calories? if you're not eating enough, you're body will hold onto it's fat stores if it feels you are not providing enough calories. It's best if you don't drop under 1200 calories a day net.

Please see this blog for more information on eating your exercise calories and more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/stroutman81
  • debbimj
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your heartfelt and honest responses. I will digest it :wink: and keep my head up . . .

Until next time . . .

Debbi in So. Cal
  • jar3827
    Options
    it also matters what time of day you weigh, and if you have eaten or um... used the restroom within a little while before you weigh... also of course if you are weighing with clothes on that makes a difference and also if oyu have drank a lot of water or anything...