Oatmeal Recipe Wanted

Options
polar5554
polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
Can anyone recommend a good low cal oatmeal recipe made with old fashioned rolled oats?

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal a lot and normally add 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 a banana. I also throw in 1 packet of Truvia. =)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Stovetop or microwave?

I make oatmeal every morning and it's incredibly flexible and versatile. It's the best vehicle for any flavour profile - sweet, savoury, cheese-y - pretty much anything!

I toss together the following in a microwave safe bowl:

1/2 apple, chopped into small pieces (40 cals)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon (3 cals)
    1/3 cup old fashioned oats (99 cals)
    1 Tbsp chia seeds (optional, but requires more liquid for cooking -30 cals)
    2/3-3/4 water (can use milk but it will increase your cals and it doesn't plump up as much, I find)

Microwave on high for 1 min. Stir. Microwave for another 45sec-1min. Top with 1/4cup plain yogurt.

You can make it without the 1/2 apple and instead top with whatever fruit you like. Fresh blueberries, nectarine, peach, pear, all work great. Or you can mix in 1/3 cup of pureed pumpkin for a nice fall twist. Top with a little something sweet if you need to, but I like mine just like that. Enjoy.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    For me it is all about the add-ins. I love bananas or chopped up apple with a few walnuts added in. Overall with a small banana, 1/4 serving of walnut halves (broken into pieces), 1 cup cooked oatmeal and a packet of splenda you're at about 290. I am very satisfied and usually don't get the hunger pangs again until lunchtime. Or, if you google crockpot oatmeal, you'll find some good recipes for steel cut oats. I'll make these on the weekends since one pot will serve about 4. Here is the one I like: http://www.food.com/recipe/best-steel-cut-oats-crock-pot-recipe-198509 I don't add the cranberries or raisins (just a preference) and some noted they are better to add at the end since they plump way up. I also skip the brown sugar. With those things cut out and using skim milk I get a serving at about 189 cals...of course you could add a banana or whatever when serving. I don't have a fancy crock pot with a timer so I picked up a cheap plug in timer at Wal-Mart (about $4) and it works like a charm. I also use crock pot liners as the oats will stick. Overall, a nice change of pace.
  • 2flower4
    2flower4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1/2 dry oatmeal microwaved with 1 cup of water for 2 mins
    stir and heat 1 more minute
    add 1 tbs of marmalade or jam of choice for flavor and sweetness
    204 cal
    or 1/2 c dry oatmeal prepared as above
    then add 1 small apple chopped with skin
    1 tsp of cinnamon
    200 cal
    the apple is a natural appetite suppressant and the cinnamon is a natural insulin regulator
    oatmeal is also the basic ingredient of muelsi
    mix oatmeal, chopped almonds, dried fruit and eat like dried cereal with your choice of milk
  • sallyperry
    Options
    i have eaten oatmeal daily for most of my life especially in the winter. after watching oprah i have now switched to steel oats by quaker oats either way they are both excellent!!. i love chopped walnuts, blueberry's, banana or whatever fruit you like and always, always add a tbls of brown sugar (less calories than regular sugar) -- i don't use milk either -- oats either way stay with you for many hours.:heart: i love it and look forward to it daily. Sally
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm boring!! All I have is 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup skim milk and 1 pack of stevia!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Additionally - for the warm weather months, try Overnight Oats:

Combine
    1/3 cup old fashioned oats
    1-2 Tbsp chia seeds
    1 cup almond milk
    fruit of your choice (1/2 banana recommended for sweetness, but no everyone likes that)
    Optional: carob powder, nuts, protein powder, etc.

Mix thoroughly with a whisk and let sit overnight in the fridge. No cooking required. Should soak up all the liquid in a few hours and you're ready to enjoy. Mix in whatever else you like in the AM.

Here's an awesome resource for more ideas: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/02/01/carob-banana-chia-vegan-overnight-oats/