Seriously?

Options
I used the BMI calculator in the TOOLS section - it says I am in the OBESE range. OK, I get that. BUT, it says to be considered healthy and within the right weight range I should weigh 118.1 - 159.6 I CANNOT imagine getting to that weight. I guess I'll just always be considered fat even if I'm at a weight that I feel comfortable at (which would be 170).

This is somewhat heart-breaking...

*sigh*

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    BMI is somewhat inaccurate. A bodybuilder will be considered "obese" on the BMI scale, simply because they weigh more than an average person -- BMI doesn't take into account the fact that they weigh that much because they're so muscular. It also doesn't take bone density into account. Some people need more weight to look and feel healthy.

Set a goal that feels right to you. And then when you reach it, you can re-evaluate and see if you're happy where you are or if you want to gain or lose. My goal weight is 120 because I'm short and that would put me at a "normal" BMI, but I probably will choose not to go that low because I plan on putting on some muscle. Don't worry about "normal." Just focus on "healthy."
  • Erica9903
    Options
    You can do it!! I started MFP at 227 and my highest was just over that at 231. I've lost 19 pounds and my goal is to be 150, hopefully by the end of the year. I know that the scale and BMI thing can be depressing but you should focus your attention on small goals to reach every couple of months and you'll be surprised at how much weight you can lose. Keep your head up and best of luck to you!!
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight -- the "happy weight" calculator. It tries to give an indication of what you should be able to maintain "happily" based on your height, frame, and so on. It's sometimes a little more generous than the numbers we assign to ourselves.

If it makes you feel any better, even if you just bump down from the "obese" range into the "overweight" range, you're likely to see some big improvements in your long term health. Don't get discouraged, and don't let an arbitrary number like BMI bring you down. :)
  • HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I'm about 2 pounds from being considered obese myself. And I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm much more of a generally athletic / average body. In my opinion, BMI is not a great measurement, simply too many things go into calculating a healthy weight for just weight and height to be a measure.
    I used the BMI calculator in the TOOLS section - it says I am in the OBESE range. OK, I get that. BUT, it says to be considered healthy and within the right weight range I should weigh 118.1 - 159.6 I CANNOT imagine getting to that weight. I guess I'll just always be considered fat even if I'm at a weight that I feel comfortable at (which would be 170).

*sigh*
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2 pounds from being considered obese myself. And I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm much more of a generally athletic / average body. In my opinion, BMI is not a great measurement, simply too many things go into calculating a healthy weight for just weight and height to be a measure.

*sigh*

Agreed. My biggest challenge is to get folks to focus not on weight or BMI but body composition (as in body fat percentage). That tells the REAL story. Shoot for a healthy body fat level and you'll be the right "weight" for you for your then current fitness level. :)

That said, you're in good company. Most folks respond that way ... and in fact, my husband responded just like you did (exactly!!). He looked at the top end of the range for his height and started making cracks about how he'd look at that weight (he's a hunky former Green Beret so skinny isn't in his vocabulary!). Invest in some handy device to measure your body fat at home and focus on that measurement. You might feel much better, now and as you make progress toward your future fitness goals.

Good luck to you!
  • Vicki_78
    Vicki_78 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at http://www.self.com/calculatorsprograms/calculators/happyweight -- the "happy weight" calculator. It tries to give an indication of what you should be able to maintain "happily" based on your height, frame, and so on. It's sometimes a little more generous than the numbers we assign to ourselves.

If it makes you feel any better, even if you just bump down from the "obese" range into the "overweight" range, you're likely to see some big improvements in your long term health. Don't get discouraged, and don't let an arbitrary number like BMI bring you down. :)

wow - loved this calculator!!!! just made my day :) thanks
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hate that thing! LOL It also shows some range for me that I never remember even being in -- long before becoming obese!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

see i'm the opposite....i didnt like that calculator....it set my "happy weight" at 135....but the high end of my bmi range is 145.7....that is where i am aiming to reach...i would eventually like to be between 140-150 for the rest of my life...i have never been there as an adult and honestly have no idea what i will even look like at that weight....who knows i might be happy at 155 or 160 and who gives a sh@t about the BMI readout....i'll be fit as a fiddle by then and trust me, anything below where i started at 253.8 (highest 263) will be a HUGE improvement on my life...it already has been......set realistic goals for yourself and take one little milestone at a time....
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree with Robin. Shoot for healthy and happy. I do not focus on the BMI calculator or my scale, this leads to discouragement and loss of focus. You're better off investing in a session with a trained professional for a fitness test and body composition analysis. They will help you design a workout plan specifically for you.
  • tmaksparkie
    Options

*sigh*

YOU CAN GET THEIR I did, I used to be 262lbs but now I am 155lbs it can be done I thought the same way you did. Good luck.
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    IGNORE ANY BMI ratios PLEASE !!!

It has no significance on anything - you can have a 10 stone couch potato with the same BMI as a bodybuilder who is solid muscle - I think a more accurate monitor is your body fat ratio

According to any charts I would have to be about 8.5-10 stone to be within 'normal range' but I know that when I was that size (once) I was unhappy and had no chance of maintaining - i would rather be a happy 11-12 stone than constantly striving for something I know I wouldnt be comfortable with
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    The Happy Weight Calculator didn't benefit me LOL it said my "happy weight" is 143 geez! I did get down to 145 in 2006 but was told I no longer had a butt rotfl!
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I ignore that stuff, my body fat % is what's important to me and how I feel and fit into things!!!
  • mariasheehan
    Options

that happy weight calculator works!! my happy weight is 147.2, I'm just under that now and feel....well.... happy :-) thank you!
  • dawnkitchen
    Options
    I ignore that stuff, my body fat % is what's important to me and how I feel and fit into things!!!

TRUTH.
    I'm getting my body fat % taken tomorrow night by my trainer!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

It didn't make mine. 163.3 :noway: Now thats funny.
  • yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The Happy Weight Calculator didn't benefit me LOL it said my "happy weight" is 143 geez! I did get down to 145 in 2006 but was told I no longer had a butt rotfl!

Yeah-that one had me at 129....my goal is 134, now-that may only be 5 pounds different-but really-in the long run, that can seem like a lot!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    BMI has flaws. I use bodyfat percentages.

bmi-comparison.jpg
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    BMI has flaws. I use bodyfat percentages.

bmi-comparison.jpg

Great pic! Great point!
  • JordanGirl5
    JordanGirl5 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I took everyones advice - my scale records fat % and since I weighed in the first time on that scale (about 4 weeks ago) I have gone from 52.5 % body fat to 44.2 % body fat. I guess thats something to be proud of. Hello muscle!