8 Sets x 8 Reps - suggestions

Options
A boxing trainer at my club put me through my paces the other day and suggested I implement a program of 8 Sets x 8 Reps of cardio style weights as a way to minimise muscle growth but improve strength whilst providing a cardio workout at the same time (in support of my boxing goals)

He suggested I do this three times a week where within a half hour workout I hit various muscle groups. The 8x8 would work with only a ten second rest between sets (however if using one legs or arm then alternating between sets then there would be no rest between sets).

I'm hoping some of the MFP gurus can suggest some exercises I can use at the gym that will effectively hit the following areas, Ive already put in some I am familiar with:

-Legs: Squats (with weight)
-Shoulders: Seated Dumbbell Press
-Arms: Dumbbell Curls
-Back: Pull Up
-Chest: Dumbbell Flat Press
-Abs: Crunches, Side Crunch (each with a 3 second hold during crunch) and Plank.

My session the other day was limited to Legs and abs (due to an arm injury) but it was high intensity and bloody hard work! So I'm keen to fine tune a whole of body session that I can squeeze into my weekly program on top of my normal boxing training. This is about hitting your body hard and fast.

Keen for feedback and exercise ideas. :smile:

Replies

• wrn1979
    Options
    Let me suggest an even better plan. Escalating Density Training. Originally created by Charles Staley years ago and brought back to the forefront in recent years.

Pick five exercises

1) an explosive movement such as a hanging clean, jump shrug, power snatch, dumbbell snatch, etc
    2) a knee dominant exercise such as a front squat, deadlift, or lunge variation, etc
    3) an upper body push movement such as a standing overhead press, bench press, etc
    4) an upper body pull movement such as a row or pull up, etc
    5) a rotational core movement such as cable rotation (set a cable at shoulder height and pull the handle through like swinging a baseball bat).

Set the weights up in a circuit while selecting weights that will approach your 10-12 repetition max

Do sets of 8 on each exercise (only do sets of 5 on the explosive movement) while continuing through the circuit for four total rounds. Only stop to rest when you have to. The goal should be an average of 1 minute per set after you factor in the rest time that you will need. In this case it will take you 20 minutes. You can do more or fewer sets if you want to work for more minutes. If you bring it in at significantly less than one minute per set (say....20 total sets in 16 minutes) Use more weight next time. If you take significantly longer than one minute per set (say....20 total sets in 25 minutes) Use less weight next time.

Your goal should be to continuously push your cardiovascular/metabolic system to adapt to more work capacity in the stated time.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    thanks for the info, I'll definitely have a crack at that.
  • wrn1979
    Options
    BTW:

If you're fairly new to this type of cardio training using heavy weights you might want to bring a bucket. Even though I'm about 100 pounds overweight I'm fairly active when it comes to lifting and throwing things.....I was ready to hurl after my first density session. I walked out of the gym and could barely speak to say "bye" to the ladies at the desk.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Clean and Press
    Push Press
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Good Mornings

You probably can do that only and just be flat out awesome because thos exerciseas are real good for overall body
    but of course do many other exercises
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You don't need or want anything different than you already have listed. They are the best of the best. I would probably add dips if anything.