Feels weird eating so much!

Options
Again following on from a prevous post I've submitted about eating the exercise calories, I managed today to eat my exercise calories and have consumed 2600 in total for the day, (this is including a little treat of red wine this evening as it's Friday!)

I am allowed 1550 calories a day to lose 2lb per week but did 1350 calories of exercise today, which gave me a total of 2900 calories to consume.

I'm really hoping this works for me! I guess the proof will be in the pudding (or the scales...... mmmm pudding....nom) :)

G

Replies

• parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    DUDE! What do you do to burn that many calories in one day AND...is that a normal day for you??? That's awesome but crazy to me because i only burn 500 something at best and am proud of that! lol
  • cassidystreasures
    Options
    try eating calorie items that are healthy like nuts
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You probably shouldn't be burning so many calories from exercise. Burning more than 500-700 calories puts extra stress on your body. Unless you're training for a marathon or something there's no reason you need to exercise so much. The stress it puts on your body an cause you to stop burning fat even if you're eating the right amount of calories.
  • heyycassie
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I am just starting, but feel like when I exercise, I am already pushing my body's limit, and I barely make it to 500, if I'm lucky. What's your secret? I'm happy just to be under my calories at the end of the day thanks to exercise and eating less (but smaller meals, and more frequently).
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    yeah seriously dude what are you doing?! sign me up!!!
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Heyycassie,

I totally agree and am right there with ya! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Again following on from a prevous post I've submitted about eating the exercise calories, I managed today to eat my exercise calories and have consumed 2600 in total for the day, (this is including a little treat of red wine this evening as it's Friday!)

I am allowed 1550 calories a day to lose 2lb per week but did 1350 calories of exercise today, which gave me a total of 2900 calories to consume.

I'm really hoping this works for me! I guess the proof will be in the pudding (or the scales...... mmmm pudding....nom) :)

G

How do you calculate calories burned? If you are using MFP's numbers I would only eat back 60-75% as it tends to overestimate as you get more fit. If you are using a HRM, make sure to back out the calories you would have burned at rest if you had not exercised.

To calculate how much you should back out take your maintenance calories (say for an example 2400) divide by 24 to get cals per hour then divide again to get cals per minute. At 2400 you would burn 1.67 per minute (2400/24/60). so if you burned 1350 over say 2 hours (120 minutes) you should back out 200 cals (1.67*120), and only enter 1150 (1350-200) into MFP if you intend on eating all exercise calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I am just starting, but feel like when I exercise, I am already pushing my body's limit, and I barely make it to 500, if I'm lucky. What's your secret? I'm happy just to be under my calories at the end of the day thanks to exercise and eating less (but smaller meals, and more frequently).

Gender, age, fitness level, weight, duration, intensity, etc. all affect the amount of calories you burn at rest and during exercise.
  • GraemeSkinner
    GraemeSkinner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Guys I'm doing a Body Combat class which is about 1000 calories according to my HRM. It's a really strong Cardio work out and then I was also coupling that with a quick warm up in the gym on the weights. Which was about 350 calories. Overall an hour and a half of exercise and 1350 calories!

I'm eating plenty healthy stuff like apples, bananas and some nuts etc. Also drinking plenty water and also topping up with my usual protein shake after the exercise to aid the muscle recovery!

If you check youtube for Bodycombat 45 you'll get the idea of what I'm doing! Its brill! :)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    It looks like he is a cyclist and cycling can burn tons of calories. When I do a short 20 mile ride I burn over 1,000 and my body is no where near over stressed. I've done 50+ mile ride before and burned over 3,000 calories and when I workout at the gym 95% of the time I burn over 700 calories.
  • GraemeSkinner
    GraemeSkinner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @erickirb - thanks for the advice on the rest calories. I'll be sure to remove those out of the equation going forward :)