Back from my Century ride!

Hello my fellow cycling buddies! The century ride was fantastic! I felt great, legs were strong! No headaches... We stopped at 60 miles for our lunch and I had a pbj whole wheat sandwich and we were back on the bike.... BIG mistake! I ate to fast and I guess while exercising 1 whole sandwich is to much to eat for me.. I got a side stitch at 75 miles and it hurt like HELL!! So the last 20 miles was hard, I was pretty bummed to ride that well and to feel like that at the end over a dang sandwich just really sucks! It would have been a perfect ride... :grumble:

It happened to me while training for this event a month earlier in flagstaff and I never checked into why this happened. Wish I did!

Oh well, next time I'll stick with my gu and thats it!!! AND I FINISHED!:drinker:

Replies

• familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Hello my fellow cycling buddies! The century ride was fantastic! I felt great, legs were strong! No headaches... We stopped at 60 miles for our lunch and I had a pbj whole wheat sandwich and we were back on the bike.... BIG mistake! I ate to fast and I guess while exercising 1 whole sandwich is to much to eat for me.. I got a side stitch at 75 miles and it hurt like HELL!! So the last 20 miles was hard, I was pretty bummed to ride that well and to feel like that at the end over a dang sandwich just really sucks! It would have been a perfect ride... :grumble:

It happened to me while training for this event a month earlier in flagstaff and I never checked into why this happened. Wish I did!

Oh well, next time I'll stick with my gu and thats it!!! AND I FINISHED!:drinker:
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    AWESOME!
    I wish I could of been there with you! I only rode for 45 minutes today..I feel like a loser LOL!

OMG Sorry about the sandwich ordeal..YUCK! But your right you finished!
    :bigsmile: :drinker: YEAH FOR YOU! :bigsmile: :drinker:
    I'm so excited for you!
    Kel~
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    WOW!! Way to go. And I think the set backs are how we learn and grow. If you didn't try it you would never know and now you do!! So.... here's to learning more about your own body!!:happy:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Great job, I'm doing a 52 mile ride at the end of the month which is long for me. I'm really impressed with your 100.
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    What an accomplishment!!! I used to ride to work - about 20 minutes!! I can't even imagine what 100 miles would feel like, congratulations!!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    WAY TO GO! But you need more than Gu on a Century. Just eat slower next time. Or try something different.

I've got my first Century coming up in Oct! excited.gifexcited.gif
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Great job! One thing I've learned from my triathlons is never try something new during the race. Training involves not only your muscles and the distance, but your nutrition, so practice your nutrition during your training.

I've got my first century on October 4, so I truly appreciate the words of wisdom. I'll take something more substantial than gu on my long ride this Saturday.
  • shorerider
    Great job! One thing I've learned from my triathlons is never try something new during the race. Training involves not only your muscles and the distance, but your nutrition, so practice your nutrition during your training.

I've got my first century on October 4, so I truly appreciate the words of wisdom. I'll take something more substantial than gu on my long ride this Saturday.

J--How'd the Tri go this weekend?

I won't make the Seagull Century. We had to schedule a work day to do some repairs at the church and that was the only day available, and I have to be there. :ohwell: But I 'm doing the Between the Waters ride later in Oct. and have signed up for the full Century!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Are century rides a new phenomena? I haven't heard of them before, not like triathalons or marathons. Of course, marathons are eons old...
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Yeah for you. I am doing a metric century in two weeks. I am worried b/c I have not gotten the training time in that I would have liked to. I went back to work in August and it is just so dang hot in Alabama in the afternoons when I have a little time to ride. I hope I can do it!!
  • shorerider
    Are century rides a new phenomena? I haven't heard of them before, not like triathalons or marathons. Of course, marathons are eons old...

No--they've been doing them forever. There's a Century (100 miles), 1/2 Century (50 miles) and Metric Century (60 miles).
  • familybugs
    Thanks you guys! It was a great ride.!!!

I just need to clarify that I have eat a pbj sandwich on my training before when I did a 65 mile ride... we stopped at 45 miles and ate, but we only stopped for like 10 mins. I cramped up within the next 20 miles. I also had gu on that ride at 20 miles, electrolite pills and water.. 4 bottles... sooo I wasn't sure what did the cramp... but I had only rode 65 miles at the most in one day while training be fore my century. So on my century i didn't know what really to change. All my other rides I ate gu, water, electrolite pills and I was fine. It the combination of eating whole grain, eating to fast, and not waiting at least 30 mins before exercising again.... but I PERSONALLY didn't want to wait 30 mins to start riding again....(lactid acid could start to build up, the body starts to shut down.. etc.) I'm just one of those people that can't eat like others... so I feel I would have done better eating gu and maybe 2 fignutens every 20 miles.

So like you said.. i learned and now i will try it a different way... El Tour De Tucson is coming up in November... 110 miles....... we will see???
  • familybugs
    Yeah for you. I am doing a metric century in two weeks. I am worried b/c I have not gotten the training time in that I would have liked to. I went back to work in August and it is just so dang hot in Alabama in the afternoons when I have a little time to ride. I hope I can do it!!

Good luck! let me know how it goes!:wink:
  • familybugs
    oops
  • familybugs

So what do you plan on eating?
  • shorerider
    I like Fig Newtowns or PB Crackers on long rides. I've read to avoid too much protein (as in meat). One guy on a bike forum said he ate a Turkey Sandwich during his Century and {ahem--excuse the mental image} puked the last 20 miles of his ride. :sick: So everyone chimed in that you shouldn't eat meat. Something about the body not being able to really digest it when you're doing heavy exertion like a Century Ride.

Steff said on the Century he did that they had pizza at the last break stop! Now--I would love pizza! But not sure how my gut would respond to it on a Century.
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Pizza would be great to eat after the ride; I don't see how you can eat it during the ride.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Awesome!! Great job on the ride! I'm also one that can't eat much while riding/ running. I really like the Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I can't do Gu's (especially vanilla) after my marathon training I just got BURNT out on them! :sick:

I'd love to do some longer biking next year, I'm thinking of a Half IM!! :bigsmile:

Jess