For the 30 something dads out there, women feel free to comm

Options
Newfiedan
Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
Ok so I started this weight loss journey a few months ago at a very chunky 195-198ish pounds and 5ft8. I am not down 17 pounds total to anywhere between 178-179ish currently, my goal is to get to 165 or a little lower and get back into good cardio shape. I started with the cardio as I am thicker built and more muscular than many of my peers. I started by trying 1 mile and I managed to get through it with a heavy sweat running around 5 mph, I did that for a week, then upped it to 2 for a week then 3.5 and now at 5 miles for every cardio day running about 85% of that uphill on an average of 2-3 degree incline. I burn on average 650ish cals per cardio and now started throwing in weights on the opposing days to my cardio burning around 500-580ish cals in about 45 mins. I recently did a personal best of 40 mins for 4 miles which I was very proud of. Anyhow onto the reason for my post I took measurements today for the first time and I have dropped down to a size 34 jeans with room to spare from a size 36 that was snug. So I want you to post your measurements and maybe form a dad group to get a little friendly competition going and help motivate and support eachother. So without further ado here are my measurements;
Neck 15.5"
Chest (taken right at the nipple line with a regular breath) 41.5 "
Waist (this is right at the belly button incl love handles) 37.5"
Biceps (this is taken flexed at the peak) 14.5"
Forearms (widest part) 11"
Thigh (widest part) 23
Calf (widest part) 15"
I do not know how to use the timer on my camera for a midish point pic but I will try to get the wife to take a shot to post.
This is a before pic;
fatme.jpg

Replies

• ScorchPA
    Options
    Wow... running 5 mph for an hour... I'm pretty impressed.

When I started back in September I was 245, and I had set my treadmill at 2.5 mph at a 6-7% incline and broke a massive sweat after about 20 minutes pushing to a max of 35-40 min workout. But, the weight really started coming off fast. Now I'm doing about 4 mph on an 11% incline for 45-60 minutes in order to break a sweat. I've tried going faster, but always end up sore the next morning. My goal is to get down to my target weight just sticking to the treadmill (hopefully I'll be there in a month or two), then start working on some weights.

I'm now down to 183, and have another 13 lbs to go. I went from a size 38 jean down to a 33 now. My dockers were at a 40, and unbelievably I am now wearing a 32 in dockers, though they are a touch snug. I also went from wearing XL shirts which were sometimes a little on the tight side, to wearing L's that are getting baggy (time to do another shopping trip).

Good luck!
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    I have been doing 4 miles in 40ish minutes, I try to keep my heart rate up and do interval training to get the max out of it to improve my cardio. I vary speeds from 5 to 9 mph during the intervals. i would throw some weights into the mix to confuse the body and get better progress if I were you. Good job by the way man, proud of ya.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    any other 30 somethings care to join in?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    36 y.o. dad here. Just weighed myself this morning, and passed the 20 lbs lost mark. Started 1/19 at 294, now 272. Feels great. I'm up for some friendly competition.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I like this idea. I'm a 37 year old dad and I'm a lot like you. I'm naturally more 'thick' and muscular than my peers. It must be the island genes. I'm knocking out a little over 3 miles in 30 or so minutes. I think I can up that number. I'll take measurements later today and post up.

I started out at 268 in January. I last weighed in at 258. I weigh in weekly on Monday mornings. I'm playing with my calories right now. If I don't lose 2lbs on Monday I'm going to go back to what I was doing. I was worried that I wasn't eating enough and burning so much off at the gym. So I bought a HRM to help with the numbers.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It's nice to know I'm not alone. I'm a 34 year old father of 2. I started watching my weight in early December and was 230 lbs at 5'9". I am now 210 and want to get that down to about 190 and see where it goes from there. I'll see what my measurements are and get them up here as well.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss guys, I often see the women on here supporting eachother and thought why not make one for the guys. On fridays I do my exhaustion workout unless I feel I need a rest day, I am aiming to go 5 miles in under an hour for a goal. what is your cal limit outersoul. Mine is 2040 since I am fairly active at work being a heavy equipment tech but I may lower that somewhat. My weigh in is on saturday mornings after my exhaustion workout on fridays usually.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What about us OLD Dads. I'm 46 with an 8 and 9 year old. I only run once a week at the gym. I use to do 3 miles and cut my time to 27 minutes which is half the time it took when I started. Over the last 6 months I've been doing speed intervals for the 3 miles. It really kicks my butt and I sweat like crazy. I'm enjoying it more then just pacing and doing 3 miles. The rest of the week is weights a few days and other types of cardio. Presently doing P90X for my 3rd time.

I've lost close to 30lbs, 5" off my waist and body fat went from 30% to 12% - since 8/09
  • BStayer
    Options
    Count me in! I'm 31, married with 2 little girls. I weighed 215 a little over 3 weeks ago (heaviest I've ever been), now down to 208.5. I used to be an avid runner, but a hip injury has prevented me from running any more, so I've been using an eliptical. So far, it's working! I haven't given up hope on running though...running is like nothing else. The feeling afterwards is fantastic and gives me a major mood boost. Anyway, I'll have to post my measurements at a later time, maybe tonight if I get a chance.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    lol I hear ya on the injury stuff I sprained my ankle really badly a year ago and never had the chance to let it heal right (I was off work for a week that was it and all I could afford I have a family to support), I have to massage the tendons on the front of the ankle daily especially after running but it is getting stronger, not to mention my numerous knee and ankle injuries when I was playing soccer regularly, docs told me that I would need both knees replaced at 25 but that goes to show you what they know, some joint care from walmart and I am good to go. Also any age for the dads is good with me, hell let them all come on board.
    Here is my challenge for the week beat your personal bests either running or weight training or whatever by 5% this week. (in the case of weights judge accordingly go with more reps or slightly higher weight) Also murf brought up a good point, try speed intervals while training if you are running or on elliptical, great way to break up the monotony of a workout and the benefits are great. Here is the most recent pic of me I am topless so warning to the women who do not like men with chest hair avert your eyes lol.
    sidebyside.jpg
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well, I'm 34 with one 3 year old son. I am 6'2" and was 291lbs 15 months ago and started MFP a 3 months ago at 276 when I learned I was diabetic. I am now down to 257. I started cardio only for a few week then have incorporated lifting on off days, I keep my lifting days centered around a cardio type of workout so there is very little rest and I keep my heart rate up. I would love to hear how you other guys keep up with the schedules of work and family and stay motivated.
  • dawnslaughter
    Options
    brilliant idea! go on lads get compeating
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Well for me my motivation comes from wanting to not just look better but feel more energetic, my son who is super active wants me to play with him and since I have dropped the 16ish pounds I have much more energy, I eat healthier and feel soooo much better. Yes my schedule is busy but my workout time I look at as being my "me" time away from the stresses of life. If I had a bad day then the gym gets the rush of frustration or anger from me by lifting harder or running faster by the time I am done then the family gets the best from me. I love being a dad and I can honestly say I am happily married if you need support then feel free to friend me, I have a level head unless I am letting my anger get to me lol and I will do what I can to give helpful advice.
  • Jebw123
    Options
    I am 33 and have 3 children (11, 6, 2). I started my weight loss journey in August 2010 @ 275 lbs. I am currently 227 and looking to hit 215 in the next couple of months. I am 6'2".

I do cardio 6x a week (minimum) with Sundays as a day of rest. I aim to burn around 750 - 900 calories per workout. I was running a 5k (3.1 miles) every day, but I have recently replaced some of my running with basketball. I had done some weight training, but have opted to focus on cardio health/weight loss as my primary goal for now.

Like others have done, I purchased a heart rate monitor to help keep me honest. If you aren't familiar with the benefits, you are able to determine your calorie burn based upon your average HR, sex, age, weight, and duration of your activity. It leaves the guesswork behind. I found a really nice Timex monitor strap/watch combo for $50 on Amazon, if anyone is interested.

I didn't take any pre-journey measurements, so I don't know what my baseline was, but I am now interested in seeing how I "measure up". I think I will be buying a tape measure soon.

I'd be happy to join the mix and help keep the "team" motivated.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    welcome aboard, I got a sportline heart rate montior its a strap watch one as well and from what I can tell its pretty accurate.
  • Jebw123
    Options
    I find the HRM function to be accurate on my watch (I compared it to the HRM on a treadmill today). What I know to be inaccurate is the total calories burned calculation that my watch gives me. I don't trust it, so I take my avg HR for my workout and log it into a more trustworthy calculator that I have found online.

Here it is, for anyone interested:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

P.S. I make no guarantees about this accuracy of this site, however I have found it to be consistent with other calculators I have found.
  • Jebw123
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I hit a personal best today. Amid my 30 min run (3.4 miles), I did an 8 minute mile. I had run faster previously, but not for a full mile. It was nice to log 7.5 mph for the whole 8 mins and still have enough juice to finish the rest of my run.

It really is amazing how much we can do when we make the commitment to change!
  • BStayer
    Options
    I used to be in fantastic shape, had a very active job (construction), would get home and spend 2 hours in the gym and run 2 miles like it was nothing. Not so much anymore and I hate that. That's my motivation.

It's hard to fit in time with my schedule. Once my day starts, it doesn't let up till about 9:00-9:30 pm. So I have to do it absolute first thing in the morning. My alarm goes off at 4:50 am and I'm up getting dressed to go to the gym. It's not fun, but it's worth it.
  • calixt0
    Options
    I'm 27 and started a little over a month ago with weight watchers and it didn't work. I've been using the biggest Loser on the Wii and it has been keeping my heartrate up as well has helped my flexibility. About a week ago I came over here and started monitoring calories alone. I'm now down a total of 9.4 lbs and just over a pound since i started this site I feel good and the progress is slow for me. I've also since started riding my bicycle around town trying to get some extra excercise in first day went 3 mils and went 6. 5 the next. I have to keep my temperature under control since I have MS and if my temp rises too much I start to get dizzy, my balance goes south, and I get very weak.

Well I started at 271.3 and am finally down to 261.9. It only took 6 weeks to get me here.

As a I said before. Its coming slow but it is coming.
  • Newfiedan
    Options
    Progress is progress brother, slow or not, whatever works we are all different and we all progress in that manner. Stay positive and stay with it, does not matter what everyone else is doing so long as you find what works for you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!