PCOS ladies for support on weight loss

lilsweetslol
lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
I've been struggling with the PCOS diagnosis since last fall when my Ob/gyn told me thats why after 6 months of trying to conceive and not having any luck,. since then i had gained 20 pounds more and it seemed like it just came out of nowhere. I have an appointment for an ultrasound in two weeks. I dont get a period for several months at a time and its very frustrating because my husband and I do want to start a family.

I've heard alot that weight loss can trigger your hormones to go back into a regular schedule.. Of course we PCOS ladies know that loosing weight is very hard with this medical condition.

Any ladies out there had success with a specific weight loss plan, or work out techniques? I'm about a month in with a 1200 calorie limit and working out twice a day. I managed to lose 10 pounds so far. I still need to lose 40 pounds to be back to my normal weight.

it would also be nice to just have some support with ladies trying to lose weight and coping and learning knew ways to fight it!!

I'm keeping positive and i'm so thankful to have found this website, its kick *kitten* -

Replies

• Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    can i ask what exactly is PCOS? is it sumat to do with cysts?

soz for askin
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Welcome! I have PCOS as well and have had many of the symptoms and totally understand your frustration. Friend me if you like. We all need as much support and encouragement as we can get. Keep moving and it'll happen! Good luck

~kim~
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Polycystic ovary syndrome
    can i ask what exactly is PCOS? is it sumat to do with cysts?

soz for askin
  • PCOS here as well...And your right it is very hard to lose the weight. I am down 9 lbs. but it has taken several months, but that is just watching what I eat, have not been able to workout lately. Add me if you would like, as said in previous post...Us PCOS ladies need all the support and motivation we can get. I still have not found anything that really has helped, just watching my calories right now..and that is slowly working. Good luck !!
  • Sirenism
    Sirenism Posts: 100 Member
    The best thing you can do is follow a low glycemic diet and watch your carb intake. It should only be 40% of your daily diet and consist of mostly whole grains.

I have PCOS have have been TTC for over three years. I've lost 64lbs since 2008 (56 of that since 2010) and that is what really helped me. If you're taking Metformin to help regulate your insulin make sure you take it daily. Otherwise you can also pick up some Cinnamon tablets which helps stabilize your blood sugar and insulin spikes as well.
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    I have it to i got told a couple of years ago i managed to lsoe half a stone and then was at a stand still for a year and now im watching what i eat and working out and tis very SLOWLY dropping down but its very hard my body doesnt seem to want to let go.
  • I have PCOS as well. My husband is running circles around me in weight loss and it's so frustrating to be lagging behind the way I am, but eventually I know I'll be where I need to be.
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    I also have PCOS, I was diagnosed about 6 years ago. The doctors didn't tell me to take any medications, and if they did I wouldn't have. It doesn't interfere with my everyday life. Of course my cycle is irregular, but it has definitely gotten better. One year it only came twice, I also don't take birth control because it's a hormone and I refuse to do that all my life. My nutritionist that I saw last week has PCOS and she is thin, so don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done just because of the PCOS.

As far as the kids, it will happen. I have a 9 year old son! You can friend request me about that.

So glad there is support from other women with this condition.
  • Amber_2005
    Amber_2005 Posts: 28 Member
    I have PCOS too, and it is a struggle losing weight. I'm slowly losing though and that is all that matters. As far as ttc, I know your frustration. It took us 2.5 years, but once I conceived I was fertile! We have three children so there is hope. I took Metformin to help regulate my cycles. Then my doc put me on something called Femara that boosted my egg development. You can friend me if you like. Best of luck to you!
  • PCOS too...not got a lot of advice really as I found Metformin made me pretty unwell so had to stop taking it. It was exercise plus healthy eating that got the first 2 stone off last year but now I'm a bit plateau-y. There loads of support to be had on here....good luck with your weight loss journey x
  • flip26
    flip26 Posts: 7 Member
    Hi Everyone,

I don't have PCOS but I am loosing weight toTTC. My DH and I have to do IVF for other reasons. I just started this site yesterday.
    I had lost a lot of weight about 1 years ago in an unhealthy manner and I have gained half of it back. At the time I lost the weight I did not know about our fertility issues. We did a cycle of IVF a year ago just after I had lost all that extra weight I had and we were unsuccessfull. I now need to loose the weight but in a healthy manner.

I was wondering how everyone likes this site?
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    anyone else have a problem when taking the pill because of this? i got very depressed and almost suicidel and had to be taken off it after a couple of months
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    This site is AWESOME, such a great support system. And the tools they offer are great, tracking your foods and fitness. If you have a question or want to celebrate or vent, they are here for you. I love it, and it is most def a huge part of my lifestyle change. I recommend this site to anyone that wants to get fit and healthy.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    I've had PCOS for 12 yrs, I self prescribed some Metformin, and self-paid a gastric band. Then bugger me 2 weeks later I found out I was pregnant! (had taken metformin for about 2 months).

So now we have a beautiful baby boy who is 3 months old and I have started back onthe Metformin and having saline fills in my band.

I'm down 10 lbs in 3 weeks and all is going super, I'm sated well on my food intake and losing weight quite nicely.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    anyone else have a problem when taking the pill because of this? i got very depressed and almost suicidel and had to be taken off it after a couple of months
    I started taking the progestrone only pill (am breastfeeding) and in 2 weeks it changed my moods so much that my husband asked me to come off it. I feel much better now.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I have no signs of my PCOS since I have been following Ann Louise Gittleman's Fat Flush Plan for weightloss. I've also worked with a NP getting my hormones in balance. I take progesterone and testosterone. Most PCOS people are high testosterone, mine is incredibly low. I also have uterine fibroids which I go in March to find out if I need a hysterectomy for or not. You aren't alone in your struggle.
This discussion has been closed.