Couch to 5k. Any thoughts??

Options
I have been looking into doing the couch to 5k program with the goal of doing some of the 5ks that the military hosts around NC. Has anyone used this program? I would love to have some feedback before I commit.

Thanks!

~ Jaimie

Replies

• danyelpink
    danyelpink Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I completed the program last May - August, and I ran my first 5K on August 28th. I have NEVER been a runner, and it really worked well for me! I'm also in NC... so I recommend that if you're gonna start running, do it now before it gets TOO hot!
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am in my last week of the C25K program. Today was the first day I jogged for 30 minutes non-stop. I think it's an excellent program. The hardest thing for me to learn was not to start out too fast. At the moment I am doing my jogging indoors on a treadmill because it's just too cold and icy outside. I look forward to gradually increasing my speed so that I can do several 5 Ks this summer and fall.

Good luck!!!

~ Lynne.
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you decide to do this program, I recommend downloading the free podcasts. The music isn't my favorite, but it is completely worth it to not worry about timing myself!
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have't finished, but I have worked through about 5 weeks of the program. It DOES work, if you follow it properly. I just enjoyed my workout dvd's far more and tended to choose those over running, so I wasn't consistent enough with it. I did get to where I could run for 20 minutes straight, though. And when I started I struggled with the 60 seconds of running!! Try it! It works!
  • jlmelton0509
    jlmelton0509 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband is stationed at Ft. Bragg and there is always a 10 k or a 5 k going on around here. Where are you at in NC? Good to know that the program works. I like it on the basis that it's free and I don't need to buy any equipment! LOL
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you decide to do this program, I recommend downloading the free podcasts. The music isn't my favorite, but it is completely worth it to not worry about timing myself!

Absolutely. Or, if you have an iPhone or an Android phone, there are apps for it. I have one for my Droid that plays the music I have on my phone, so I can choose whatever music I want, and it notifies me when it's time to walk/run and cool down. Makes a HUGE difference!
  • jlmelton0509
    Options
    I completed the program last May - August, and I ran my first 5K on August 28th. I have NEVER been a runner, and it really worked well for me! I'm also in NC... so I recommend that if you're gonna start running, do it now before it gets TOO hot!

My husband is stationed at Ft. Bragg and there is always a 10 k or a 5 k going on around here. Where are you at in NC? Good to know that the program works. I like it on the basis that it's free and I don't need to buy any equipment! LOL
  • jlmelton0509
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! The podcasts sound like a must. I have a blackberry so it would have to go on my iPod. :)
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Absolutely. Or, if you have an iPhone or an Android phone, there are apps for it. I have one for my Droid that plays the music I have on my phone, so I can choose whatever music I want, and it notifies me when it's time to walk/run and cool down. Makes a HUGE difference!

That's awesome! I have an iPhone and had no idea I could find an app for it. I'll have to start the program again and use my own music this time. I'm guessing it would be much more motivating! Thanks for the tip!:happy:
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options

There are a few iTunes apps that play to cues over your own music...much better than the podcast ones.
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Yes, the program works and will get you to where you want to be....I am living proof!! If a 42-year old overweight mother of two, who hadn't run since high school cross country can do it, anyone can!!! I started the Couch to 5K program last February and ran my first 5K last May, and I haven't looked back. I continued to build using the "Bridge to 10K" program and ran my first 10K last October. Tomorrow I am running a 10K event as "a training run" for my next half marathon. Yes, I ran my first half marathon in January, and am registered for my next one in April. So, yes, just get started, stick with it, and build up a little each week, and you can get to where ever you want to go!! I also lost 50 pounds through the process, so running is a great way to get fit. Let me know if you have any questions along the way, and good luck...you can do it!!
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Its so great! I just finished week 2 today! I would absolutely recommend it
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just started week 3 and I'm loving it so far! I don't care much for the music but I do look forward to jogging a 5k!!!
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3. It's taken me a little while to get going since I was having some shin issues but all seems to be going well now. I have my first 5K a week from tomorrow so I'm not really as prepared as I thought I would be but it will be a good baseline for me. My sister and I have signed up for several 5K and one 8K so far just to keep the momentum going. I'm hoping to run in the Rock and Roll half marathon next January.

Good luck!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's a good program and has worked for many.

I would just keep in mind that you can go for time or for distance but you needn't try to do both. When I finished c25k, I could run for 30 minutes but my distance covered was less than 5k. I suggest following the time intervals.

And I would suggest having a good walking base first if you haven't been exercising. And maybe even if you have. I attempted c25k a few times and I think my last try was finally successful because I started out by walking only and when I got to the point where I could walk 30 minutes at a time several times a week comfortably, then I started week 1 of Couch to 5k.
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm officially starting it on Monday. I will be jogging tonight using the week 1 program though, just to get some cardio in and not be on the damn elliptical.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 7 and can now run 2.75 miles. :smile:

Before this, I hadn't run in 20 years, since a phys ed class in college, and I'd never run more than a half mile straight.

It works. It works great.
  • enworb77
    Options
    I was also looking at that program. I'm going to give it a try and run a 5K the end of April.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I just started this week. Hoping to run a 5k in May!