Did you ever notice "healthy" people put the worst stuff in

Options
Now I have always been a student of good nutriotion and balance. But until recently, after lots of reading and research, I never realized how many chemicals and toxins are in our food. Now you see some of the most in shape people, and they are drinking beverages loaded with artificial sweeteners, powerbars packed with chemicals etc. Maybe I should stop reading, I don't know, I mean none of us are going to get out of this world alive but I never checked lables as much as I do now, I was always concerned about fat, calories, fiber, etc. It is staggering what is in so called "healty alternatives".

Replies

• fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!.... People need to get educted about the foods they eat, and feed their families.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you watch Conan O'Brien but he did a bit the other night... I met a girl who was a vegan but was addicted to coke :laugh:
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you watch Conan O'Brien but he did a bit the other night... I met a girl who was a vegan but was addicted to coke :laugh:

No I missed that, but that is hilarious! lol! :laugh:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am definitely with you on this. The more labels I read, the more I realize what absolute crap is in our food. The two new rules I am TRYING to stick to (though it's not easy):

1 - If it didn't either have a mother or come from a Mother (Earth), don't eat it.
    2 - When reading labels, if there are more than 1-2 things I can't pronounce, I put it back.

If I can get to where those rules are written in stone (except for my weekly cheat meal), I will be doing well. We'll see....
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options

I saw it...it was so funny!!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Totally agree! There are some good documentaries out there too about how foods are processed and such. "Food Inc." and "Supersize Me" are two that are available on Netflix and are shocking to say the least.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm currently obsessing about whether I should change brands of protein. The ones I use contain Acesulfame potassium, which I recently read can potentially cause cancer. It doesn't look very conclusive or definitive, but it's gotten me concerned since I ingest it Every Single Day.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm currently obsessing about whether I should change brands of protein. The ones I use contain Acesulfame potassium, which I recently read can potentially cause cancer. It doesn't look very conclusive or definitive, but it's gotten me concerned since I ingest it Every Single Day.

I prefer eat my protein from real food, and I usually got more than enough
  • helenamonks
    Options
    I've been working on the whole 'clean eating' thing. I did notice that some of the healthiest people (or at least the ones that look healthy)

Day is as follows:
    breakfast- granola and starbucks extra foam blah blah blah-350 cals
    snack- diet coke
    lunch-hand ful of nuts and 1/2 avocado
    snack-diet coke
    dinner-lean cuisine
    snack-chocolate milkshake

For me:
    Breakfast-2 eggs and 2 turkey sausage
    Snack-fruit and nuts
    lunch- lean meat, beans or healthy carb, veggie
    snack-tuna and veggie or atkins protein bar
    supper- lean meat, beans or healthy carb, veggie
    snack- either hersheys choco nugget (40-50 cals) or 100 cal snack pack (sweet)

I eat normally around 1200-1500 cals depending on how much I work out. Lately I've been noticing that all of the 'cajun' food ive been thinking was terrible for me and for the most part, a lot of it was, like fried stuff and fatty stuff. but staple foods like rice n gravy, not so bad if its lean meat and a small serving of whole grain rice with veggies. and boudin isnt even that bad, jsut a lot of carbs. and chili, not bad at all if you dont eat it with fritos and cheese!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have my 90/10 rule...90% (or more) will be natural, unprocessed foods coming from nature. 10% can be whatever, like my 1 diet coke a day addiction, and a sugar free snack of some kind.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    bump

I prefer eat my protein from real food, and I usually got more than enough

Agreed, protein shakes are not necessary, there are so many delicious ways to get protein!! Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats, eggs!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Agreed, protein shakes are not necessary, there are so many delicious ways to get protein!! Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lean meats, eggs!

Not necessary. Just convenient. I eat all of the above and more as protein sources, plus whey protein. If I had a personal chef to prepare 6 meals for me every day, I suppose I could eliminate the whey.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I also get annoyed with the people who say they "eat clean" but they hit up Sbux every morning, eat processed protein bars and drink protein shakes, use Splenda, etc. To me, eating clean is eating natural foods. Protein bars and protein shakes are not natural. Processed soy products are not natural. It's like people have no idea what real food is. Do they think soy milk is found in nature? Now, mind you, I don't eat clean. But I also don't go all over these boards telling people I do. If you eat processed stuff, that's fine. Own it. Don't say you eat clean when half the stuff you put into your body is fake.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    Totally agree! There are some good documentaries out there too about how foods are processed and such. "Food Inc." and "Supersize Me" are two that are available on Netflix and are shocking to say the least.

i recently watched these...im so proud to say since i watched them two months ago neither myself nor my kids have had any fast food!! and im trying soooo hard to keep it processed-mostly-free :)
  • TheWatchStander
    Options
    bump

Just keep in mind farting can cause cancer if you live in California! They will claim anything causes cancer to get funding to research it for half the cost and discover it doesnt.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Just keep in mind farting can cause cancer if you live in California! They will claim anything causes cancer to get funding to research it for half the cost and discover it doesnt.

Good thing i don't live in California then. :bigsmile:
  • juleslianne
    Options
    I am definitely with you on this. The more labels I read, the more I realize what absolute crap is in our food. The two new rules I am TRYING to stick to (though it's not easy):

1 - If it didn't either have a mother or come from a Mother (Earth), don't eat it.
    2 - When reading labels, if there are more than 1-2 things I can't pronounce, I put it back

I totally agree! Have you read any of Michael (i think his last name is Pollen)'s books. They all relate to this topic. That is why recently I've become sort of obsessed with things like farmer's markets and organic food. I feel like it's so much more healthy NOT to fill our bodies with chemicals. I wanna read Food Rules by him and see a movie based on one of his books Food Inc., I think it might provide a lot of insight to this issue.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    yup, I make as much stuff from scratch as I can cause I want to know what's in my food. I also don't trust many of the low cal or lite alternatives.