ever thought about it this way??

Options
I was in class watching a therapy session by a well known therapist (I'm in a marriage and family therapy program), and the therapist asked this one obese lady why she was committing suicide. When he said that, it hit me hard! I had never thought about living an unhealthy lifestyle as suicide..a long painful one at that. So the next time you feel the need to eat more than you really need...ask yourselfy why you are contributing to your own death and in a sense committing suicide.

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    excellent post. I agree ,been there done that. Fortunately, I saw the light before it was too late. I agree looks are important here, but face it, without good health, theyre nothing

I hope people see that Obesity kills.....no way to soft soap it.......Kidney failure, high blood pressure, gout, renal failure, liver damage, diabetes........theres no stop to it, as well as obesity kills 115, 000 adults and over 50, 000 adolescents.........the numbers are getting worse. They say in 2050, 2 out of 3 Americans will be over weight.

Thanks for this post, these hit home..........Llloyd
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It's crazy to think about but yes, it's so true. And to think of the irony when most of us eat for "comfort"..
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Ok I'm going to disagree lol.
    I understand what your professor was trying to say but that's a very trite way of expressing concern over someone's health concerns IMO.
    Obviously he/she was aiming for the shock value of it. Personally I would just feel insulted at the condescending remark.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    I understand what your professor was trying to say but that's a very trite way of expressing concern over someone's health concerns IMO.
    Obviously he/she was aiming for the shock value of it. Personally I would just feel insulted at the condescending remark.
    This.

Suicide? really? I think that is overly dramatic
  • reeveskl28
    reeveskl28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I agree with you it's all for shock value, not everyone can help gaining weight and a lot of people don't over eat because of what life throws at you sometimes you grab the closet and quickest thing just so you wont starve but that thing may happen to be a 500 calorie muffin you can eat in the car while u take your kid to karate, football, soccer on in between working 2 jobs etc. Sometimes circumstance dont allow you to see what your doing until it's too late and your 50+ pounds overweight not because your eating everything in sight
  • TheWatchStander
    Options

Gonna second good ol'McFadden on that one.

Taking action with the intention to kill yourself is NOT the same as taking an action that MAY have the result of killing yourself. Otherwise taking a damn shower could be an act of commiting suicide.
  • lloydrt
    Options
    Mrs McFadden, and I will disagree with you. I think its ok if we agree to disagree.....

I dont know how big/obese that lady was, who this professor asked the question to, but she was defined as " obese" by the original poster
    If the obese lady continues the way she is, it will only lead to an early death....i think we can agree on that
    to me, suicide is a way of taking ones life before its over., ie., of natural causes

I think obesity not only contributes to an early death, but a poorly lived life. One of sadness, depression, anxiety, one of medications, CPAP machines to help with sleep apneal, additional costs, not only to the patient, but to her insurance company in high hospital costs

also, what about her children. What are they going to do without their mother? What about her spouse/ significant other?

What about her siblings, her parents, her extended family and friends. If she dies early, look at the void she leaves.......

I got "scared' myself last year, couldnt breath right, had heart palpitations, asthma, sleep apnea..........High blood pressure, and I noticed that I had a racing heart for no reason........I was killing myself if I didnt make a change

Read my bio, Im so proud of it. Again, had I not had red flags ahead of time, well..........I just kind of dont want to think of the consequences

Im proud of everyone here for making a change, a change that will put more years on our lives and save our loved ones , years of sadness without us...................Obesity kills.... LLloyd
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    excellent post. I agree ,been there done that. Fortunately, I saw the light before it was too late. I agree looks are important here, but face it, without good health, theyre nothing

I hope people see that Obesity kills.....no way to soft soap it.......Kidney failure, high blood pressure, gout, renal failure, liver damage, diabetes........theres no stop to it, as well as obesity kills 115, 000 adults and over 50, 000 adolescents.........the numbers are getting worse. They say in 2050, 2 out of 3 Americans will be over weight.

Thanks for this post, these hit home..........Llloyd

Unfortunately we dont have to wait until 2050... the current statistics that were released are that more than 30% of americans are morbidly obese and more than 60% are overweight ... how sad is this!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sorry I did not classify, but I was watching a video of a session (from the 1980s), and the point was not about the video or what was going on in the video. It was just used as a background to where I got this from.

And yes, it is for the shock value to get you thinking about what you are putting in your mouth. The point is that your everyday decisions add up to what happens later on in life. Just something to possibly think about when you want to reach for unhealthy food. (And I know about moderation.)
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    I'm in the 'obese' category for BMI and all of my stats, other than weight specifically, are healthy. Not threshold, not borderline, but absolutely healthy.

I still contend that saying things like that is a churlish method for trying to convince, teach, or persuade someone that they are abusing their bodies or headed to a lower quality of life as they get older.

Anyway- if you're in school for therapy, I'd think you'd know about the studies done that concluded people aren't, often, seriously motivated by health per se when it comes to action regarding something that would and can be perceived as a vanity issue. Usually it's the shallow perspective that lights a fire under our *kitten* more effectively and that pans to our desire for gratification vs some vague sense that we might be stalwart in fifty years.
  • strivingfor130
    Options
    I'm in the 'obese' category for BMI and all of my stats, other than weight specifically, are healthy. Not threshold, not borderline, but absolutely healthy.

I still contend that saying things like that is a churlish method for trying to convince, teach, or persuade someone that they are abusing their bodies or headed to a lower quality of life as they get older.

Anyway- if you're in school for therapy, I'd think you'd know about the studies done that concluded people aren't, often, seriously motivated by health per se when it comes to action regarding something that would and can be perceived as a vanity issue. Usually it's the shallow perspective that lights a fire under our *kitten* more effectively and that pans to our desire for gratification vs some vague sense that we might be stalwart in fifty years.

It is fine if you don't agree or it does not help you in anyway. This is something that I found to be interesting and got me thinking, so I said it in hopes of it helping someone else and to get them thinking as well. Not everyone is the same and some may be motivated by future circumstances that are vague even if the majority is not...like the idea that I it may be harder for me to have kids later on because I am overweight is motivating to me. Actually we do not learn about the studies you mentioned in the program I am in because it is more based on people's relational interactions.
  • lloydrt
    Options
    actually, this was a good post, because.............it got us to thinking

and thats a good thing......

obesity kills, we all know that. You are good that you brought up this subject, you are smart because you are young and you care

we are all here , we all are proud of each others accomplishments. No ones here to condemn......
    thanks for you post...........lloyd
  • tamarjag
    Options

I agree with you it's all for shock value, not everyone can help gaining weight and a lot of people don't over eat because of what life throws at you sometimes you grab the closet and quickest thing just so you wont starve but that thing may happen to be a 500 calorie muffin you can eat in the car while u take your kid to karate, football, soccer on in between working 2 jobs etc. Sometimes circumstance dont allow you to see what your doing until it's too late and your 50+ pounds overweight not because your eating everything in sight

Well said.
  • ready_for_a_change
    Options

My own doctor tried this with me every time I saw her it was "your gonna have a heart attack your gonna have a stroke" yes I know I would reply but can you help me? Give me some advice? She would reply, just stop eating. I have a new doctor now, and a support group here and have lost 6 pounds this first week. I am below 300 for the first time in over 5 years and it is because I want to get feeling better and am inspired by the people here making a commitment. I now spend my time visiting here instead of eating, this gives me something too do when I get bored instead of eating!
  • strivingfor130
    Options

My own doctor tried this with me every time I saw her it was "your gonna have a heart attack your gonna have a stroke" yes I know I would reply but can you help me? Give me some advice? She would reply, just stop eating. I have a new doctor now, and a support group here and have lost 6 pounds this first week. I am below 300 for the first time in over 5 years and it is because I want to get feeling better and am inspired by the people here making a commitment. I now spend my time visiting here instead of eating, this gives me something too do when I get bored instead of eating!

Congrats on your success thus far!! I don't blame you for going to another doctor since she was not really helping you and that you have found one that is willing to help out!