newbie vegeterian:)

Options
Hi all,
I am 23 years ol and I've been vegetarian for 4 months now and I am in need of food ideas. My goal is to lose 30 pounds and so far so good! I really am not used to eating so much throughout the day and since my goal us 1,200 cals it is reaal hard lol... But I am trying! :P
Feel free to add me as friend :D

Replies

• lavondrew
    Options
    Figuring out what to eat and still get enough protein while losing weight is a challenge. :)

My go-to items are:
    1. Hard-boiled eggs - I boil a dozen at a time. When I'm hungry & can't decide what to eat, it's my default food.
    2. Premier Protein shakes - these are ready-made & sold at Costco. They have 30g of protein & 160 calories. I think the chocolate ones are much better than the vanilla; I've actually given up fast-food milkshakes for them.

Good luck!
  • RussianLynx
    Options
    Really experiment with ways to cook with tofu. Tofu is a lot like a potato. Tofu doesn't have much taste on its own, but readily absorbs flavor and is a very versatile cooking ingredient.

The above suggestion about eggs is great. There's so much you can do with eggs!

My default snack is celery and peanut butter. I keep it at home and at work so it's always available if I need a snack on the fly.
  • Constance14
    Options
    Ladies, thanks for the responses! Tofu and eggs are great suggestions now all I have to do is go grocery shopping-I'm really excited :D
  • blondebiker
    blondebiker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Constance!

I'm a vegetarian and usually get near or over my protein limit on MFP by eating lots of lentils, legumes (e.g. chickpeas, black beans, kidney beans) and quinoa. Protein is actually easy to get even on a vegetarian diet. What you need to be concerned about is B12 which is found almost exclusively in animal products so you will need to get it using vitamin supplements or fortified soy products.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com has a lot of easy vegetarian and vegan recipes.

Here's a good link for the vegetarian food pyramid and food ideas for the vitamins you need: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

Good luck!