Ground Turkey

Options
Quick question
I was told the ground turkey isnt any heathier then ground beef is there any truth to that? Also if anyone has any awesome receipes I would love to try something new and healthy for my families special Valentines day dinner.

Replies

• TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to read the label carefully. I only buy the 99% lean ground turkey. Otherwise, you're right -- much of the ground turkey out there has just as much saturated fat as ground beef.
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I believe the ground turkey is better in fats. I use it in everything I would normally use ground hamburger and I've also recently started using chicken as well. By the breast, grind them and waalaah
  • tviolante
    tviolante Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont know about the healthy part but Ive been eating turkey burgers at 90 cal, turkey hot dogs at 45 cal add wheat buns at 90 cal. Makes for a filling snack, or lunch.

I had my wife make a batch of turkey meatballs and it was hard to tell the difference from beef/pork mixed meatballs. Not a daily meal but great to cut some calories with wheat pasta.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    it depends on what kind of beef you are using. if you were to use 85% lean meat compared to turkey, yes turkey would be better but if its lie 95% lean compared to turkey, i doesnt make a difference. turkey is less fat. try doing a breakfast for dinner thats always fun
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just be sure to read the label carefully. I only buy the 99% lean ground turkey. Otherwise, you're right -- much of the ground turkey out there has just as much saturated fat as ground beef.

^^^^ What she said.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Exactly what the previous post said. You want lean ground turkey breast. When you cook it, it should turn white.. not brown. I've grown to love lean ground chicken breast. The fat is low.. the calories low..and it's amazing in chili, tacos, etc. :)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Actually 93/7 isn't that bad eithier and is healthier than beef.
  • cflexen
    Options
    not really sure if that a true statement...I guess it could be if ur buying the ground turkey that is not lean..I usually will try and buy mine (97% fat free) or the one that says extra lean..but I really dont know if that really is better...I hope it is. My family has just become accustomed to turkey because that is all I buy instead of beef and we actually prefer it over beef because it just tastes better to us. As for recipes, I use turkey instead of beef for spaghetti, I made turkey burgers and slice up some avacado, tomato, and lettuce, and whatever other condiments you like and I use the oro wheat sandwhich thins (which are 100 cals. for a roll) as a bun. I also buy the frozen sweet potato fries (aprox. !20-140 cals. for 12 fries) and bake them in the oven instead of regular potatoes or you can make ur own. This is one of my favorite meals everrrrr!!! Its soo filling and tastes waaay better then fastfood and not greasy at all! :)
  • SunLove8
    Options
    not really sure if that a true statement...I guess it could be if ur buying the ground turkey that is not lean..I usually will try and buy mine (97% fat free) or the one that says extra lean..but I really dont know if that really is better...I hope it is. My family has just become accustomed to turkey because that is all I buy instead of beef and we actually prefer it over beef because it just tastes better to us. As for recipes, I use turkey instead of beef for spaghetti, I made turkey burgers and slice up some avacado, tomato, and lettuce, and whatever other condiments you like and I use the oro wheat sandwhich thins (which are 100 cals. for a roll) as a bun. I also buy the frozen sweet potato fries (aprox. !20-140 cals. for 12 fries) and bake them in the oven instead of regular potatoes or you can make ur own. This is one of my favorite meals everrrrr!!! Its soo filling and tastes waaay better then fastfood and not greasy at all! :)

I agree, and I did mean 97/3 :) I make my burgers and sweet potato fries the SAME way, lol! YUMM!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Just like the actual turkey at Thanksgiving . . . all but the white meat is oily and fatty. Buy the ground turkey breast, its lean. I buy ground chicken breast from the market as well, but its fat content is a tad higher than turkey breast.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    So lots of comments about turkey, but here are a couple of recipes that I love!! There is absolutely no problem subbing turkey in your favorite ground beef recipes. It is the ONLY way I make chili now.

Turkey Meatloaf - I have to say that I don't care for meatloaf but I LOVE this recipe!! I sub ground rolled oats for the breadcrumbs to make it super healthy. I also sometimes sub spinach for the celery. Comes out to just under 200 cals/slice

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Turkey-Meat-Loaf-with-Sun-Dried-Tomatoes-1560

Then there is this Mexican "Lasagna" from from Men's Health. Nutrition stats are on the page, however, I slice it into 6th's, and those pieces are plenty big enough.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/abs-diet-recipe-enchilada-lasagna
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I prefer poultry over beef and when buying the extra lean ground all white turkey breast it is healthier than beef. Beef is bad for the intestines. At least for mine. =)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    It has half the calories and much less fat than ground beef. I use it in almost every recipe that I would normally use ground beef for. The other night we had a taco bar...we all just chose our hard or soft taco shells, added the ground turkey, then chose our lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sauce, sour cream, etc. By the time you add sauce and everything (even in other recipes) it doesn't taste any different but the calories are cut in half!