What are you reading?

Options
strandedeyes
strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
Hey!

I don't know if there is another post already going, but what are you all reading in this new year? I usually stack myself up with 10 new books to read before the summer hits. Here is my list and let me know what you are reading or any books you recommend I should read. Any genre counts but give me (or us) a reason why its an awesome book to read.

My list in no particular order:

Girl With a Dragon Tattoo
The Magician
Lady Chatterley's Love
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Abraham Lincoln Slayer
Dante's Pearl
Book One in the Dresden Files series

That is my current list, but it keeps growing and I sometimes can't keep up.

So let me know what you are reading, what you think I should read, if any of my books on my list are horrid, and what you are excited to read later on? Talk to you all soon!

Replies

• Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Damn, you are a hell of a lot deeper than I am!! I love to read but it's normally fiction like James Patterson, John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, Lee Child, etc. Love action and suspense novels!!
  • peggybrant
    peggybrant Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The Bible......definately a feel good book.
  • strandedeyes
    Options
    Damn, you are a hell of a lot deeper than I am!! I love to read but it's normally fiction like James Patterson, John Sandford, Patricia Cornwell, Lee Child, etc. Love action and suspense novels!!

Hahaha I love suspense novels too :) Any favs?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

Hahaha I love suspense novels too :) Any favs?

Try any of the authors I listed above. I especially love Sandford and Child. Sandford has the "Prey" series with Lucas Davenport as the main character. Great series. Same for Child. Main character is Jack Reacher. Both series are very intense and the characters are well developed. If you can, start from the beginning of both series. I'd go with Sandford...first book is (I think) Rules of Prey. Good stuff.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite book ever, but worth a read. Right now I'm nearly through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, which is an incredible read. It's not perfect, but it's kind of awesome in spite of its inperfections. I read Connie Willis' Black Out a year ago, and then recently picked up All Clear (the two books started out as one and then she split them). I got totally confused and frustrated with All Clear because I couldn't remember what was going on from the first book. So I'm going to try re-reading Black Out and then try All Clear again. I just saw The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer in a middle school principal's office today and it looks amazing. I know it's for a younger audience, but holy crap...

http://www.nancyfarmerwebsite.com/house-of-scorpion.html
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. She is a bounty hunter & one tough cookie.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I love my Twilight. It's an addiction, all right. That's what I'm currently reading and it's my all-time favorite fictional book. It never gets old for me. I've read it 5+ times (the whole series). By the way, before you think I'm too obsessed with Twilight, I also like anything Nicholas Sparks. :laugh:
  • strandedeyes
    Options
    Oh, how I love my Twilight. It's an addiction, all right. That's what I'm currently reading and it's my all-time favorite fictional book. It never gets old for me. I've read it 5+ times (the whole series). By the way, before you think I'm too obsessed with Twilight, I also like anything Nicholas Sparks. :laugh:

You are only slightly obsessed lol. I can say that I attempted to read twilight but honestly couldn't get into it. I will stick to my non teen dramas :)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    ohhhh i like these suggestions! i saw pride and prejudice and zombies at the store and it made me giggle.

i heard about the stephanie plum series too...hmmmm

i love these books:
    wicked - gegory maguire
    son of a witch
    a lion amongst men (third in the wicked series, waiting for the fourth book!)
    confessions of an ugly stepsister
    mirror mirror (currently reading, a bit slower than i would like and the dwarfs are creeping me out a bit)
    all of these books have had something in common as far as the style goes. they are all written during another time, so the language is different. takes some getting used to. they all have a gay character too - not sure if that is offensive to some.. i have read wicked 3 times! confessions might be a better one to start with because it it set over a period of about 8 years as opposed to birth thru death. all i know is i love the wicked witch!!!

bloodsucking fiends - christopher more
    you suck
    lamb
    fooled (currently reading)

s*** my dad says was funny, fast and sweet. i read it in a day.

reading chelsea handler's 'are you there vodka its me chelsea'. its ok. kind of over it though and only 2/3 through it.

i love everyone (and other atrocious lies) is another i am reading...

maybe if i didn't hang out on MFP so much i would finish some of these books!!!
  • kandraj
    Options
    Town and Country Magazine
  • LMPRF97
    Options
    The Hunger Games
    Kingdom Keepers 3
    Huge
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options

You are only slightly obsessed lol. I can say that I attempted to read twilight but honestly couldn't get into it. I will stick to my non teen dramas :)

i blew through the series really quickly, and borrowed them from a coworkers 13 yr old! LOL! i was like, ok done, next! i think it took 5 days. they were ok. not totally off the charts, but much better than the movies! eclipse was my fav and the movie was decent too.

harry potter, though...i love HP. i am so sad that the last movie is coming out this year. so so sad...
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer and it was great! Right now I'm reading Little Women. I got a Kindle for Xmas so I've got plenty of free books on deck! I have this problem of buying books and then not reading them all lol.
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

It's not really the 'vampire part' that draws me in, it's more like I like how the love between them is. Or something like that.
  • Alisonb8
    Options
    Knowing this will probably make me sound a bit obsessed but have been really inspired by Lisa Jackson's - Adore Yourself Slim! I'm usually a major reader of Sci Fi/Fantasy and Popular Science non fiction stuff
  • strandedeyes
    Options
    I read Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer and it was great! Right now I'm reading Little Women. I got a Kindle for Xmas so I've got plenty of free books on deck! I have this problem of buying books and then not reading them all lol.

I am uber jealous of your kindle. I am hoping by the summer I will have splurged on a ereader so I can stop lugging around all these books!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    fear and loathing in las vegas (for like the millionth time)
    heals angels by hunter thompson
    beautiful creatures
    the mists of avalon
    to many to list all since I usally read a book a day or every 2 days
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

It's not really the 'vampire part' that draws me in, it's more like I like how the love between them is. Or something like that.

couldnt stand twilight vampires are not supposed to me whiny little sensitive cry babies.I blame buffy and angel for staring that trend lol
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I am currently reading Gorgeous Lies by Martha McPhee....... good book so far just wish I had more time to read these days have been crazy nuts for me.

Then I want to get Safe Haven-Nicholas Sparks I heard that was a great book.
  • strandedeyes
    Options

couldnt stand twilight vampires are not supposed to me whiny little sensitive cry babies.I blame buffy and angel for staring that trend lol

now now, don't blame Buffy...the author of twilight claims she has never seen an episode of Buffy....lolol but yes they were a bit too sensitive for me too. I also missed the fact that vampires burned in the sun...I just....Thats how they were traditionally written about.