belly fat

Options
ok, here is the deal. i am an ex athelete. i got fat mostly around the belly and it is the type of fat that hangs off the front of the muscle, not hard intestinal fat. i have strong abs underneath and can do umteen sit ups and other ab exersizes, but the weight i lose always comes off my face neck arms and legs it seems. what in the heck do i do?

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce fat. Your body loses fat where it wants to. Usually, belly fat is the last fat to go. Keep losing weight, and eventually you'll lose it there too.
  • allypally9
    allypally9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I am exactly the same (except im not an ex athlete!) I seem to have a really toned back, which is getting more toned with the exercise I am doing but the belly fat will not shift! In fact, as my back in getting more toned, its making my belly fat stick out more! Argh!
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Probably going to be the last to go :( After I do bulks my neck inches go down more than my stomach inches until i hit my normal 15.5.
  • julie4760
    Options
    I agree it'll be the last to go control underwear can do a lot to give a better line to your clothes if you want to look your best.
  • skinnyb450
    Options
    Ugghhh - yes I am the same! Never in my life have I had an apron (stomach hanging over) I have had 2 children via ceasearean and a hysterectomy so the muscles are nil in that area!!!! I really worry that it will never disappear and become flat :(

Has anyone had this (and achieved a flat tummy/abodomen???) If you have please share how you achieved it ?:smile:
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    cardio !!!! was what i was told when i asked gym instructor same question ...
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    I've just got myself a resistance band to try get rid of my belly fat. Not sure if it will work but going to give it a go!
  • tarjake
    tarjake Posts: 56 Member
    Options

well, i am certainly on the right track if that is the case! i just hope i can keep up this pace when i go home in 9 days. (i work offshore and treadmill and bike help kill time for the 35 days i am gone)
  • missjeannemarie
    Options
    Good luck, I have heard cardio works too!!
  • missjeannemarie
    Options
    I too have the same thing, I find that I am toning and losing in my arms, back and legs, I have learned by talking to others it is the last to go, keep up the great ab work, also I have been doing more "core" exercises and that has been helping. I heard that more cardio to burn fat works. We CAN do this!!

jeannemarie :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    :smile:

well, i am certainly on the right track if that is the case! i just hope i can keep up this pace when i go home in 9 days. (i work offshore and treadmill and bike help kill time for the 35 days i am gone)

click on the link "relatively light trying to get leaner". He is mainly responding to the women who requested advice but the advice he gives works for both men and women for sure. He actually says to get leaner you need to increase lean muscle mass. Lifting heavy weights. He explains in much more detail and it is a long, long post.

It might not apply to your situation but it might be worthing reading.:smile:
  • flossicle
    Options
    I have the same proble..it's going fast off my face, legs n boobs but my belly is taking far longer to shift..perseverance will prevail!