How public are you regarding your dieting?

Options

Replies

• jenlen65
    jenlen65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been shouting it from the rooftops!!! I also got several of the ladies from my office on her too!! It's all about accountability. Give it a shot!! :wink:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I quit eating out, so as far as that goes, people didn't know that much.. but now that i've hit success, and people ask, I blab on forever.
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    Clearly I am not public enough! Came home to a frosted, homemade chocolate buttercream birthday cake.:love: My sitter is the best! She was worried my husband wouldn't bake me a cake for y birthday. (We had already agreed that he would buy me one piece of Portillo's chocolate cake on my birthday.) Change of plans . . . I had a slice of cake with my dinner calories and hopped on the elliptical for a little over an hour! Still under by 300! It's all good!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty public about it. I don't broadcast my weight, but I do say when I'm going to work out or if I've lost anything.
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started a Project on Jan 1 of this year. I call it the 50X50 Project cuz I want to lose 50 lbs by my 50th birthday (Aug 19). I felt the only way to do it (this time) was to go full accountibility. I have a blog I post daily with my results, thoughts, tribulations, successes... EVERYTHING. Everyone who comes into contact with me knows about the Project. The weird thing is... I can't bring myself to share my starting weight (190). No trouble doing that here but I can't do it anywhere else. Ah well... another challenge :)
  • sarahelmtree
    sarahelmtree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't post it on facebook or anything, It makes me self conscious. But a have a group of friends at work and at my gym and they are like my weight-loss community. I also don't want to make people feel bad, I am all about motivated friends but talking about it so much makes people feel more aware of where they lack. That's just my opinion, if someone wants to diet, my weight-loss should be enough to motivate them.

But... It is nice to have that accountability, especially at the gym!
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am not on a diet, I severely cut back on my drinking and started eating clean, healthy and raw where possible. It was a lifestyle change not a diet. If someone asks about me losing weight I will tell them but I certainly don't have MFP updating facebook.

Same.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty public online that I'm trying to make a lifestyle switch to a healthier me. I like the support I've been getting--makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling, and helps me keep motivated.

I don't talk about it in my day-to-day life all that much (other than with my husband), though, unless I know the other person is also trying to get healthier.

Now, I talk my husband's ear off. Poor guy! He's one of the naturally thin and generally eats fairly healthy. I've been trying to get him to work out with me but no luck so far.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty public with it at work. I don't really go on about it, but they see me drinking just water, and eating nuts, fruits and veggies a lot. My boss couldn't believe it the first couple of weeks when I wasn't drinking Mtn Dew, and was eating some bell peppers with my lunch. "Wow - you're really serious about this, aren't you?" Yep, and proud of it!

I do try to avoid offering unrequested information about nutrition, and stuff like that. What might seem like an interesting anecdote to me might seem like I'm shaming somebody else for eating something junky, and thatis absolutely not what I want to do - if I was in the other position, I would really be annoyed by that, too.
  • jar3827
    Options
    im not super public because friends would say oh you look great you dont need to lose weight... but those friends dont know how much i weigh, and dont know how out of shape i am since having 2 kids. but, i will say oh no i dont want a second piece of cake thanks i am on a diet. and then they scoff... phbbt on them. i think some of them are secretly trying to make me fat so they look better lol ... :D
  • Hova1914
    Hova1914 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    a few people know. Other than that, I'm pretty private about it. If someone asks I'll tell them. But I don't want to be that guy who beats people over the head with my healthy eating and my nutritional facts, or the guy who's always complaining about what he wants but can't eat cause he's on a diet. I've always hated those guys, so I refuse to be one
  • prototype
    prototype Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm private about it. Only a few people close to me know. My mom doesn't even know. I don't need or want anyones negative input distracting me from what I am doing for ME. So all those who consistently put out negative energy... have been left out of the loop. I am not the chick to tell anyone how to do anything. I think people need to be honest with themselves and do what works for them and their lifestyle. They should do what they know they can stick to for life. I do not yo yo diet. I do not fad diet. I am doing what I will do for the rest of my life. It took a lot of work for me to mentally and physically be ready for this. Now that I'm doing it... I'm not letting anyone stop me. I'd rather not lose friends over this... but I've already lost one. It's best for me to just keep it to myself and save myself the unnecessary drama.

I have a private fb group of friends who I go to for support, advice, inspiration, knowledge and recipes. I'm good with having that outlet. It's working for me so far. So I'll just stick with that.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If someone comments on my weight loss, I tell them MFP. Otherwise, I don't really say much.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I started a Project on Jan 1 of this year. I call it the 50X50 Project cuz I want to lose 50 lbs by my 50th birthday (Aug 19). I felt the only way to do it (this time) was to go full accountibility. I have a blog I post daily with my results, thoughts, tribulations, successes... EVERYTHING. Everyone who comes into contact with me knows about the Project. The weird thing is... I can't bring myself to share my starting weight (190). No trouble doing that here but I can't do it anywhere else. Ah well... another challenge :)

I realized recently that I have yet to give my starting or current clothing size. I just posted on FB that I am down another jean size - did NOT give the number. lol FB gets my updates - weight loss, workouts - and thankfully it doesn't tell where I started...only how much I've lost.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm very private. Only 3 people outside of MFP know about my journey to lose weight. Im doing it on purpose though, everyone can clearly see I'm overweight. With that said I am hoping that people around me will begin to notice my change on thier own, their positive comments (hopefully) will pack soo much more meaning than the ones of pitty I feel I would get if they already knew I was trying. That day will be a NSV for sure!
  • nephaniecobb77
    Options
    im brand new, but if you think about it,... nobody who is on THIS website is gonna care in a negative way. and i think the only reaction you will get from anyone will be supportive. kinda excied to be on here... all of the people that i have seen have been VERY supporive to each other. its so jolly!!! =D....(can i use "jolly") lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am extremely public. The best way for me to stay accountable is to tell everyone around me what my goals are and what I am trying to do. If they are not supportive, then I find new people to have around me, plain and simple. Cause if they don't support me in this, how can they support me in other things? And I'm worth it, and I need to have like-minded positive people in my life.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am not telling everyone but I am not keeping it a secret.

When I lost the majority of my weight I told everyone to keep me accountable. Now I have the last few pounds I prefer to do it myself (with the help of MFP).

My husband knows and I guess my work know because I am not touching chocolate anymore (very unusal for me).
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't mind telling people I'm losing weight at all! Most people can see my weightloss anyway, so they normally mention it first!

One thing that does get to me is my mum telling half the country that I've lost the weight! If she's talking to ANYONE she tells them "my eldest daughter has lost 3 stone recently". I know she's proud of me for doing it, I'm proud of it, and I'm not sure why it gets to me, it just does.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Im very public, I've told everyone at work and family etc that im planning to lose 5 stone and do the great north run this year. The reasn for this is 2 fold, if I fail I look silly therefore it keeps me on track plus they're all v v supportive, If I put on my face book I've been running they all say well done etc it really helps.