Overeating, but WHY?

Options
So these past few days I feel like I just can't stop eating. It's mostly when I'm at home. Wednesday night I ate a whole box of mac n cheese. I knew I was full, I knew I didn't want anymore, but I ate it anyway. Same with a bag of popcorn last night. I portioned some in a small bowl, but of course went back not once but twice to refill it.

Of course the two days I do this are the days I decide not to go to gym. I can't figure out if I'm overeating because deep down I know that I'll have to burn it off...? I dont know, but I'm incredibly frustrated with myself. It's like I have no self control, no dicipline.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Can someone please give me the kick in the butt that I need? :)

Replies

• bahrainbel
    Options
    the week before my period i am awful, if it's not nailed down, i will eat it.

the only thing that works for me is going to bed earlier, as if i'm asleep, i can't be stuffing my big fat face :ohwell:

you have my sympathies.
  • gonzorunner
    gonzorunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need to look at what you ate during the day, it is possible that you didn't eat enough good stuff and you are hungry as the day is winding down. Try eating some protein instead of eating carbs it would fill you up making you less likely to try to eat more.
  • azucar100
    Options
    Not going to the gym makes a difference. It seems to make your body crave food (at least for me as well).
    The popcorm was probably not a bad decision (as long as it wasn't loaded with butter and salt). Could it be that time of the month as well?

I find that if I keep myself occupied, I don't crave the food. Move away from the TV - that's a real trap.

Good luck - I have a long road ahead of me weight wise, but I'm pretty committed to doing it this time.
    You will too!
  • rottentreats
    Options
    Check out eBay. I heard they have some great deals on will power and self-discipline. (they might even through in some determination for free)

Seriously though, this is simple. Make as much food as you should eat, no extra. Have a glass of water or two before your meal so you fill up faster. Or just do what I do, plan a meal, and stick to it. If I make too much I put it in a container and throw it in the frige, or sometimes I simply just through it out. (yeah yeah, I hear the siren from the waste police right now) You can do it, just like everyone else can. (and has)

I hope my foot left a nice little mark. :D
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this feeling my whole life it seems! I have the worst time resisting cravings even though I know I'm full and don't NEED it, it just tastes good. I'm definitely going to have to beat it to make any progress! I'm not perfect at doing this every time, but when I really have the urge to eat more of something I don't need, I force myself to find something that needs doing (the list is never-ending for me, it seems) and use it to distract me. I find watching TV as background noise or as an activity is horrible for my cravings because food commercials subconsciously convince me I need a snack when I just had one, etc, but when I start a project while listening to my ipod I don't notice the cravings. I'm incapable of listening to my favorite music without singing along, so that occupies me :) Like I said, its not always easy at all, but this is what I'm working towards until my willpower is strong enough to resist on its own! Hope this helps :)
  • mlm7944
    Options
    I'm right there with you! For whatever reason I've been having cravings like mad this past week. It started on the weekend when I had my mother's birthday party and Superbowl. I had been doing very well up to then, but thought I would just have a little taste of a few things. Unfortunately that triggered a desire for more, more, MORE! It's been a tough week, but I'm getting ready to head off to the gym right now to burn some extra calories this weekend. The weird thing for me is that I just stepped on the scale and have dropped a few pounds in the past few days. I think that I had been eating the same amount of calories for weeks and my body needed a little shake up in the routine.

So, here are my thoughts on what went wrong with me: I have been struggling to drink enough water lately. Perhaps I was misinterpreting thirst for hunger. I also have strong cravings due to monthly hormone surges, so that factors in. It's been a very busy week for me at work and I was using food as a way to relax when I got home.

In the past, here are some things I've done to help:
    - DRINK more WATER!
    - only allow myself to eat the craving food (or extra helping) after I've worked out (usually I lose the desire)
    - chew gum
    - make myself busy (call someone or get myself out of the house)
    - try to find an alternative food to eat that is not as calorie dense

Let's vow to make this the start of a better week! Good luck to you!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    the week before my period i am awful, if it's not nailed down, i will eat it.

the only thing that works for me is going to bed earlier, as if i'm asleep, i can't be stuffing my big fat face :ohwell:

you have my sympathies.

Oh, I do this too! :)
  • fergy66
    Options
    Ive been the same way this week. Part of it is the weather here. Its been in the teens most of the week. Plus I haven't been eating right because of the stomach virus. That has had a huge effect on me. I am normally the person who will plan everything down to a tee. Try doing that and then keeping everything out of sight. Drink LOTS and LOTS of water. But just because you had a bad day, doesn't mean that you have completely failed. Its just one day. The next day is new. Start fresh and move on. Just do what you can.
  • cleo77
    cleo77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I feel like that sometimes, that is why I do not allow unhealthy foods at home. Therefore, if I feel like eating then I am stuck eating raw veggies or fruits.
  • carinaoreilly
    carinaoreilly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What Bronwenarts said might be a clue. You overeat when you're home, you haven't been to the gym, you're feeling too tired maybe, a bit lethargic. Your body is probably craving a sugar kick and so you keep eating junk. I think the problem here is tiredness and low blood sugar. It's very hard to really listen to your body when you're tired, especially if you're not used to it. But if you're too tired to go to the gym, and you want an evening on the sofa, bear in mind that your body will instinctively be after cookies and popcorn and sugar and all that crap, but what it needs is fruit and low GI food. You could always go to bed early, though that never works for me. What does work is eating painfully healthy food, a vegetable soup or a salad, which will fill you up and you can eat it until it comes out of your ears without blowing your diet :)

(Also handy, though don't know if you can get them where you are: Nakd bars. Vegan, pressed fruit, taste amazing, and good for you, a kick of sweetness with no refined sugar).
  • chris808
    Options
    I've been the same this week - can't stop munching on savoury snacks and sweet desserts. I've been anything from 400 to 1300 calories over every day, and done no cycling. I did an 8 mile walk this morning but that's only ~1000 calories.

Please don't beat yourself up over it. It honestly doesn't matter. I see you joined in January like me. I found it took around 3 weeks before the constant feeling of wanting to eat something sort of wore off and I felt fine. This week I've been quite tired and not cycled, and I think the lack of exercise makes it easier to start snacking, plus your metabolism starts to drift down when you stop exercising.

I'd advise to get plenty of sleep, keep up the gym, and keep yourself feeling full with healthy food. Drink plenty of water. And don't buy entire bags of popcorn, instead just get 2 or 3 small cereal bars, that means you have something to fall back on but you're not tempted by entired boxes of them. Also think about each peice of food you eat, eat it slowly, savour the taste. That can help both appreciate the nice food you make for yourself as well as be aware of any snacking you do.

In my case I'm telling MFP I want to lose 2lbs a week so it gives me ~1000 calorie defecit per day. So even if I went 500 over each day I'd still be on for losing a pound a week. And if I went 1000 over every day I'd still be approximately maintaining my weight, ie my loss so far. That's why I say don't beat yourself up over it as it doesn't really matter in terms of your progress. Give it time, give yourself some leeway (especially if you have a bad day/week in other aspects of your life), go with how your body feels, and you will get there. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Regards,
    Chris
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    KICK. Suggestion: each time this happens take some time to reflect on your day and your mood and write it down in a journal. Is there something triggering this behaviour? Sometimes the motivation is simply boredom or loneliness--in which case you can find solutions to these root issues like keeping busy or calling up a friend. You may even consider speaking to a counselor to get to the heart of it if necessary. YOU CAN BREAK THIS HABIT! :)
  • katacha999
    Options
    Sister - I have been like that my entire life. There's no surprise of my weight yo yoing as I have waves of discipline. But that nagging voice "eat it, just eat. Don't worry what's that gonna do to you?" is always arguing with the "don't eat it, don't do it. That'll keep you fat. You know it will" When I am the PMSing - I hear ya - if it's not tacked down I will try and stuff it in my face. I am fearing next week for this as I have done so well. But - I will be strong. I say this and I ate 8 chocolate wafers yesterday! (still under calories because of training)

I don't know what the magic solution is. As it has nothing to do with feeling full. So the tricks of eat slower, drink water etc don't work. As if you're like me I would polish off that last bit of KD even though it would hurt to eat. I never eat pasta now. I find pasta always always makes me overeat. So I guess that's one trick I do use - I try and figure out my trigger foods and keep away from them. (pasta, diet sodas) I avoid the bad aisles when grocery shopping and I do not permit any of my old lethal friends in the house. There is no KD in my cupboards. There's soon to be no chocolate either as I'll be tossing that out today as apparently I am not strong enough to keep it in the cupboards - this isn't luxury chocolate this is just the stuff you bake with!!! Sad.. I don't have any cookies here, no cereals no nothing that I know when late at night I'll just sit and nosh on. I keep popcorn as - even IF I eat the whole damn bag - it's still only 260 calories. And I try and pay attention to my body the next morning as NO ONE needs that much fiber! That's the consequence for my action.

Sorry I know there's no great solution - just sympathy and if you find the magic solution - please share as I am sure there are a few of us that fall prey to your predicament. You are not alone.

Cheers.
  • AMSull19
    AMSull19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    definately agree that you should make sure your getting enough calories through the day. I know that when i have had a light lunch I come home starving and struggle with urges to snack. On top of making sure you have enough calories, make sure your getting enough protein, its a hunger surpressor. Drink lots of water and get the crap like Mac'n cheese out of your house. If its not there...you cant eat it.
  • jillMoose
    jillMoose Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i was like that in law school -- all i did was stay home and study so i would take "food" breaks more often then i should and i would binge... pint of ben & jerrys + entire bag of smart puffs..... i still do it on occasion but normally its affiliated with me sitting on the couch. i am making a concious effort now to keep myself occupied and do something productive, or something to just keep my mind off of food. i swear i thought i had an over eating compulsion before!!!!! hang in there... and try to think of things you can do where you will be too busy to eat -- reading a book intead of tv, or just going to the gym and walking on the tredmill - not for the burn but just to get out!

thats my two cents
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I have trouble eating too much when I am home too. Just try to keep yourself busy that way you aren't subconsciously using food to keep you busy.
  • Prettyme924
    Prettyme924 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    good advice to stop over eating and portion control is put something u dont like on the food u know u shouldnt be eating...for me that mustard yuck..
  • kerryannk
    Options

(Also handy, though don't know if you can get them where you are: Nakd bars. Vegan, pressed fruit, taste amazing, and good for you, a kick of sweetness with no refined sugar).

Looking forward to trying these!!
  • kerryannk
    Options
    KICK. Suggestion: each time this happens take some time to reflect on your day and your mood and write it down in a journal. Is there something triggering this behaviour? Sometimes the motivation is simply boredom or loneliness--in which case you can find solutions to these root issues like keeping busy or calling up a friend. You may even consider speaking to a counselor to get to the heart of it if necessary. YOU CAN BREAK THIS HABIT! :)

I just started journaling when I started feelin' funky. I knew that I didn't want to feel this way, and I know that I'm the one that is in control of it. Today is much better. At first I felt stupid for posting this, but I went to the gym and had quite a fabulous workout. (I noticed just how much stronger I'm getting!)

Once I saw all of this response, I was taken aback. It is just so comforting to know that I'm not the only one that feels this way, and that you're all contributing. Thank you all!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! And if anyone ever asks for me for advice when they're feeling defeated, I'll send them here! :D
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm like this too. Surprisingly, this past week I've done really well.. I bought a package of bakery cookies -- only ate 1! I bought 3 chocolate bars -- didn't eat any! I bought tostitos and the works for nachos -- I portioned it out, fit it into my calories, and that was that. I don't know why, but things are just clicking this week, if I want to lose these last five pounds I have to work for it.

I've read before that you have to train yourself to like healthy food. Once you start eating things with high sugar or salts like processed foods you're body is addicted to them. So you will need to detox away from them. And by detox I don't mean to fast -- just eat a variety of foods. Try increasing your protein so you are satisfied in your meal. For sweetness, try some greek yogurt and fruit. Make sure to drink lots of water.. and try to get some exercise in. Even if it's just 25 minutes. It will help you clear your mind.

Trust me, there have been plenty of nights where I just vegged out on the couch with a bag of chips and cookies and ate everything in sight. My problem was a combination of being lonely and bored. My boyfriend had night classes and so I would just use food for entertainment. Even though I was super full I'd eat until all the chips and then try to fill my sweet tooth -- because you know, the chips were salty and now I want something sweet. And I'd feel like the utmost piece of crap but the next day I'd do it again. I needed afternoon naps and didn't drink enough water despite working out. After really portioning things out and listening to my stomach.. I feel so good. I haven't napped in over a week.. if you knew me, you'd think that this was amazing! Seriously though, if I can do this, you can too!!!