Goal

Options
For the longest time I've said I wanted to be 180 lbs. I'm not sure how or why that number stuck in my head. I guess I figured if I could just get there I would never be over 200 again. I don't want to be skinny @ all love my curves!! Matter of fact I almost had a heart attack the other day when I saw my collarbone. I'm 5' 7 1/2" I'm thinking that may not be low enough. The height weigh chart says I would be max 164....hmmm I'm not real sure how I feel about that. It would mean that I have 110 lbs to go and I'm concerned that I'll get a crackhead look going on. So my question is do I say to myself it still ok to be slightly over if I'm comfortable in that skin? Or try to become a stick I know I'll hate?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My advice is to be as healthy and as happy as you can be. My BMI numbers say I could get as low as 101 and still be "healthy" for my height, but I know I would look like a walking skeleton and be unhappy. So, no thanks. I think that you should work toward your goal, constantly re-evaluating how you feel. If you get to a point where you feel good and want to maintain for a while, change your goal. If you get to your goal and decide you want to lose a little more, change your goal. If you get to the goal and decide you like the number on the scale, but want to tone up, change your goals to measurement goals rather than scale goals. Don't look at the goal as a finish line. Think of it as more of a beacon to keep you moving in the right direction.
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, and I like a little junk in my trunk, too! I say go with what's comfortable.
    I was 160 when I was 18 and I was by no means a stick but it's all about your frame. I say aim for the 180. If you get there and decide to keep going you can, but if you are happy there then stay.
    Either way you be HOT!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    My advice is to be as healthy and as happy as you can be. My BMI numbers say I could get as low as 101 and still be "healthy" for my height, but I know I would look like a walking skeleton and be unhappy. So, no thanks. I think that you should work toward your goal, constantly re-evaluating how you feel. If you get to a point where you feel good and want to maintain for a while, change your goal. If you get to your goal and decide you want to lose a little more, change your goal. If you get to the goal and decide you like the number on the scale, but want to tone up, change your goals to measurement goals rather than scale goals. Don't look at the goal as a finish line. Think of it as more of a beacon to keep you moving in the right direction.

Said exactly what I was going to say but said it SOOO much better than I ever could have! @mscll1 - good luck reaching your goals!! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You have to be happy with yourself, I know it is a cultural thing, but you probably should try to get to a weight in the "normal" range.
    Ask your doctor when you get to a weight you can sustain and are happy with. You may like the way you look but still be at risk for future health problems.
    Good Luck
  • Kreeture
    Options
    Hi hun. I am 5'7" and currently weigh between 175-180lbs, size 12 or 14 depending on the clothes. I can tell you - I've got ample curves, a girlie figure, and no crackhead vibe going on at all. :):) But, for me, I feel best in my body when I'm about 150, so that's my goal weight. I think, more importantly than the number, is an overall feeling of well-being. I just want to wear my clothes well (aka no muffin top) and be able to maintain my energy level longer. I'd suggest that you shoot for feeling great in your skin, and see what number that produces on the scale. Best wishes! Keep rockin' those curves. ;)
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    FIrst of all I think you are beautiful! After reading your post I thought of Oprah's show yesterday with Jennifer Hudson. A Weight Watcher sponser was on and really tried to avoid Jennifer admitting to how many "pounds" she lost because she said people would get stuck on a number. And I thought about it too, it really needs to be about how healthy you should be, to add years to your life and to just be happy in this life. Until then, appreciate your curves and just enjoy the ride!
  • passionately_kate
    passionately_kate Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with adsnwfl....good luck!!
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I would probably do the happy dance every day in a 12/14. LoL I know what the chart says....and that's cool for most people but not everybody's frame is supposed to be a size 4. God made us all different for a reason. Variety is the spice of life! I'm going to do what's best for me. I've lived in my body my whole life so I know it best. I told my dr all my #s are great except the weight portion. Actually I kind of lackadaisically said "I'm just fat" and shrugged. How sad that was only 3 days before mfp. What a difference a day....or three makes. And soon that will be untrue statement. Then you won't be able to tell me my poo stinks lol! Yep I love me some me. Thanks for the advice, feedback, and compliments I really do appreciate it.
  • misstmarie83
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel about that! It's something I struggle with as well...but recently I've been able to just celebrate the new way I'm feeling with each decrease!! I'm hoping to just get to the 'comfortable in my skin' area! So I say just let go and let your body tell you when to stop trying to lose! idk....it's a hard call and one I'm still working on it too!!!! We are in this together!!!