Unlimited NON Tropical Fruits before 5 pm...Is this true?

Options
Hey all,

Jillian from The Biggest Loser has an article I found that she says unlimited NON tropical fruits before 5 pm are ok and NOT counted towards calories. Also, Weight Watchers has recently implemented this.

The acceptable fruits are Berries, apples, and grapefruit only. I made a few smoothies this week and didn't count the calories, but had a low weight loss.

Just wondering if anyone else has researched this? I would post the link to this page, but I don't want to break the rules with links and outside sites....

Would love to hear thoughts here!

Replies

• ontheheap
    ontheheap Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like Jillian, but this is bogus. The fruits you listed contain calories (nearly 100 for a large-sized apple!), so eating "unlimited" quantities of them is certainly increasing your caloric consumption for the day.
  • MernaDea
    Options
    Logically this makes sense too! I am curious how this works when they are recommending this. They must have a special diet on the items you do count.. Not sure.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    I dont have any research on it, but i do know I consume 1-2 bananas a day, and that alone is almost 200 calories, so if i was to load up on the others...I'd be scared. Yet they are healthy for you...but i dont know about adding these healthy unlimited cals...I think ill avoid THAT diet, lol.

Interesting tho, i'll have to search for that !
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    those fruits have calories..log them
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Grapefruits grow in FL as do oranges. Why is a grapefruit not a "tropical" fruit and an orange is?
  • hummingbirdxss
    hummingbirdxss Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Calories are Calories are Calories. That's like saying your car will drive faster and look better if you only use Premium Unleaded gas. Not true !!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    My feeling on this is that, at least in Jilliian's case, this rule is part of an overall program that has other special "food rules." So sure, this is a rule that's "unlimited," but it goes with other rules that are limited, such as limiting other kinds of carbs. So, if counting calories is your all around rule, then then this whole unlimited thing is moot. Its like doing a particular phase of Atkins which says...eat as much fat as you want! But no bread. But then taking that rule out of context and pairing it up with calorie counting...doesn't work.

So, my advice is to either do one program (Jillian) or another (calorie counting). But if you start mixing and matching program rules, you are going to end up in trouble....
  • MernaDea
    Options
    Jillian counts calories too, but I do think it has to do with the amount of fiber, no breads, starches, etc in the program too. Just curious is anyone knew more info on this.

I am definitely logging the calories and I am making the commitment to eat my exercise calories, which I have never done before. I can still have both! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

Jillian from The Biggest Loser has an article I found that she says unlimited NON tropical fruits before 5 pm are ok and NOT counted towards calories. Also, Weight Watchers has recently implemented this.

The acceptable fruits are Berries, apples, and grapefruit only. I made a few smoothies this week and didn't count the calories, but had a low weight loss.

Just wondering if anyone else has researched this? I would post the link to this page, but I don't want to break the rules with links and outside sites....

Would love to hear thoughts here!

Berries, apples and grapefruit are not Tropical Fruits..............

Tropical fruits are Pineapple, bananas, coconut, papaya, mangos, etc..................
  • MernaDea
    Options
    Right, that is why she said they are OK...
  • GrowOrDie
    Options
    Ive found that in the end its not the calories, fat content, or carbs that count its the combination of the macronutrients...
    If she is pairing protein with the simple sugars of fruits then I can see, but the way that fruit (of any kind) spikes the Glucose levels of the body can lead to some serious weight gain. You could always try a 1-2 week experiment and see how your body adapts to the calorie change! Keep us posted! Im interested to see if this could be true... ;)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Ive found that in the end its not the calories, fat content, or carbs that count its the combination of the macronutrients...
    If she is pairing protein with the simple sugars of fruits then I can see, but the way that fruit (of any kind) spikes the Glucose levels of the body can lead to some serious weight gain. You could always try a 1-2 week experiment and see how your body adapts to the calorie change! Keep us posted! Im interested to see if this could be true... ;)

Whole fruit doesn't spike glucose. High glycemic loads do.

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    ...the way that fruit (of any kind) spikes the Glucose levels of the body can lead to some serious weight gain.

My experience is that fruit can lead to a serious case of the munchies... or maybe not, depending on the fruit. Bananas evidently spike my glucose, which spikes my insulin, which drops my glucose level enough to make me hungry. Blueberries and cantaloupe don't do that and apples and peaches usually don't. If I'm worried about it, I pair the fruit snack with a small protein snack - an apple with a small wedge of cheddar cheese, for example. Then I can enjoy my apple without wanting to raid the refrigerator an hour later.

I also snack on the fruits (botanically speaking) that are generally lumped in with the vegetables - tomatoes, summer squash, bell pepper, etc. As a group there's not much to differentiate them nutritionally from sweet fruits beyond sugar content.
  • MernaDea
    Options
    Thanks all! I lost 1/2 pound this past week and then found this site. I had a few smoothies this past week and not sure how it affected my loss or if I should just be happy with 1/2 pound. (at least I am going in the right direction)

My goal for the upcoming week is to eat most of my exercise calories (EEeekk! Not use to this) so I will be counting any Berry Smoothies I make. Right now, I am just at the beginning of this weight loss, so not ready to do much experimenting until I get my MoJo back and going again.

I found it interesting and thought there has to be a science to this and I wonder if you are right there Biokinetic!