From Housekeeping Monthly, 13 May, 1955

Options
Wendi_S
Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
The Good Wife's Guide

View the original article as a graphic

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed. (In my household if you want a hot meal you better be here at dinner time (5pm not 8pm) or else it becomes a fend for yourself deal)

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people. (LMFAO!! A ribbon in my hair, make-up?!!)

Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it. (One of my girlfriends made the comment, "I would be a lot Gay if I had to do all this stuff for my husband)

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables. (Clear away the clutter?! Buy me a bigger house so there isnt any clutter!)

During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction. (Shopping provides me with immense personal satisfaction!)

Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet. (In my house we can't use the words children and quiet in the same sentence, unless of course I are yelling at them to be quiet!!)

Be happy to see him.

Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours. (WTF? His topics are more important than mine?! )

Don't greet him with complaints and problems. (Is there ever a day without complaints or problems?)

Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work. (speechless)

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. (These are hilarious!)

Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice. (another one of my girlfriends said if she was around during this time she would've arranged the pillow over his face!)

Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him. (WHAT!?!?)

A good wife always knows her place. (Yes and it is at the head of the table!!)

Replies

• Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    Ok it is clear from this that I'm apparently a husband :)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    How have we slipped so far back from then? wait.gif

I kid....I kid.smiley-scared004.gif
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Article = LOL
    Carl01 = LMAO

Great stuff guys!
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    It's just scary....I cannot even conceive of following this. I of course prefer to be pleasant to my spouse and provide him with anything I can to make him happier- but I'm very happy that I can pursue my own personal transcendence as they say? Gosh.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    Ok it is clear from this that I'm apparently a husband :)

love it!!!!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    That dude was a frigging genius! I love him...nods at spouse...get me beer wench!
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    I am afraid my husband would be wondering what I did wrong or what seriously he has done wrong if I did all this. It would be a nice surprise once in a while though to do at least some of it.
  • TwilaG
    TwilaG Posts: 134
    Options
    By the way, my husband works midnights and I am not a morning person so he normally does not come home to a smiling face -- especially no makeup.
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    "Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him"

My personal favorite...if nothing else it's fun to watch...er I think the definition of gay has changed a little
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Wow - if that's the idea of a good wife (back then) I wouldn't have made it. I'd get thrown to the wolves lol. I like to do nice things for my guy, but the favor has to be returned (and it is).

Crazy they think: "Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours." (WTF? His topics are more important than mine?! ) HAHAHA I don't think so!!

As far as stuff like this is concerned, I'm SO glad times have changed!
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    That dude was a frigging genius! I love him...nods at spouse...get me beer wench!

LMFAO
  • Mrs_McFadden
    Options
    "Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him"

My personal favorite...if nothing else it's fun to watch...er I think the definition of gay has changed a little

LOL..I'm totally interesting and super gay about it ..and that can be an issue.
  • MobiusMan
    Options

LMFAO
    then she punched me in the head just for fun....*****!
  • ricnrac
    ricnrac Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OMG!! That is the BEST!! I am dying laughing! THANK YOU!
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    oh wow there are no words.......i am actually crying from laughing so hard :laugh:
  • MobiusMan
    Options
    "During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction."

Should have read...

During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light frolic with your best friend next to a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached Nirvana but probably make a mess on the rug. It will give you a lift too especially if she looks like J-Lo or Tina Fey ( ;o) ). After all, catering to his inner horndog will provide him with immense personal satisfaction.
  • kandraj
    Options
    This is the kind of stuff that makes me realize why I am not married.

What is more interesting is I think that a lot of dudes think this way. (at least many of the dudes that I interact with)

I have spent a few conversations with many a dude hearing their expectations about women and relationships that appear to have derived from this article. These dudes are usually a little miffd at the fact that women aren't "Ms. 1955" anymore.

Then they really get miffed when I unleash the queen bee in me and educate them on what's really going on in 2011,lol.

But of course I do this nice and politely. I have manners after all.:wink::wink:
  • MobiusMan
    Options

What is more interesting is I think that a lot of dudes think this way. (at least many of the dudes that I interact with)

I have spent a few conversations with many a dude hearing their expectations about women and relationships that appear to have derived from this article. These dudes are usually a little miffd at the fact that women aren't "Ms. 1955" anymore.

Then they really get miffed when I unleash the queen bee in me and educate them on what's really going on in 2011,lol.

But of course I do this nice and politely. I have manners after all.:wink::wink:

OR...you just have double X Chromosome disease and are perfectly insane as all the women that have two X Chromosomes....oh ya that all of you!....(Jim is just kidding ladies please don't go crazy...oops see PROOF!)
  • Wendi_S
    Options
    "During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction."

Should have read...

During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light frolic with your best friend next to a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached Nirvana but probably make a mess on the rug. It will give you a lift too especially if she looks like J-Lo or Tina Fey ( ;o) ). After all, catering to his inner horndog will provide him with immense personal satisfaction.

OMG- I think I just pee'd a little!!! My girls are looking at me like I've totally lost it. I read the original article to them (age 7 and 9) and even they are hysterically laughing!!
  • Wendi_S
    Options

OR...you just have double X Chromosome disease and are perfectly insane as all the women that have two X Chromosomes....oh ya that all of you!....(Jim is just kidding ladies please don't go crazy...oops see PROOF!)

Jim- are you being presumptuous and dumb?? *inside joke* ;-)