Hey Runners - Major Blister Help Needed

Options
Hi guys! Since November I have battled chronic blisters on my left foot.
When I did my 14 miler before the half marathon, I thought I had it figured out since I got no major blisters. But on race day I got a HUGE blister right in the arch of my left foot and a smaller one on my right foot as well. Today I ran a 5K (2 weeks later) and I reblistered the arch area... I am soooo enternally frustrated because I just want to run.

Here is a list of what I have tried so far...

1. I have bought new shoes (newer version of the same old shoes).
2. I have tried new insoles (they did not support my arch enough since I have high arches) and then I got a brand new insole of my usual green insoles (superfeet)
3. I only run in Baleuga socks (wicking socks)
4. I put moleskin over the hot spot areas (doesnt seem to help)
5. I have tried BodyGlide as well (did not help)
6. I have ripped open the blisters and let them scar/callus to make the skin tougher (helped on the chronic L inside of the heel blisters, but this arch blister is killing me).
7. I have been to a speciality running store, had form looked at, had shoes fit... etc. They did not have any other great ideas...

I know I sound nuts... but this is crazy! What else can or should I do...

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY understand... I went through the same thing and the only thing that has helped me was double-layer socks. I have only been able to find them online (amazon). They are amazing, the friction stays between the two layers of the socks instead of rubbing your feet. Feel free to message me if you would like to talk more! -Ashley
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I am not a runner but 2 weeks before my 1st major ballet role I got one so bad on the sole of my foot that I couldn't participate in rehearsals. It rubbed right on the spot where dancers "cut their shank" which is the cardboard like piece on the inside sole of the pointe shoe.

I of course was on full panic mode. What ended up working to heal it and seal it so that I could dance was a patch that hospitals use to put over bed sores. I got one from my fiance's mom who had cancer and then found some similar at a specialty pharmacy that carried hospital-like items. By the time we got to the shows I was toughening it up and providing a preventive layer so it wouldn't happen during a performance with the liquid bandaid stuff. I think it's called second skin?

I know my situation is different b/c you're out there for longer periods of time but I have found over the years that the johnson and johnson waterproof band aids plus hockey tape to keep the bandaid from sliding off when I move work as a great preventative if I know where I'm prone to blister.

Blisters often happen, as you know, from moisture and not the friction though.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...mostly when breaking in new versions of the same shoes. Moisture can play a role in the formation of blisters, but they are definitely caused by rubbing/friction. Which is why we often have issues with different socks, news shoes, etc.

A tip I picked up when I first started running...no kidding....duct tape!! It's my secret weapon against blisters. Seriously...wrap the arch of your foot once or twice, take the tape completely around your foot. You want it tight, but not constricting. The beauty of duct tape is that it stays in place, but still pulls right off. I swear by it. I also slather my feet in vaseline before I run too. I love my Balegas!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Well, other than the double layer socks mentioned, it sounds like your foot is slopping around in the shoe. Try lacelocks? They keep your foot placed tightly in the heel of the shoe and might make the difference for your situation.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I have this exact same problem! I ran cross-country when I was in high school and I was constantly fighting blisters on my arches. I stopped running for many many years, and when I picked it back up as an adult they re-appeared. I get them no matter what shoes I wear or what kind of terrine I run on. My theory is that because I pronate slightly when I run that part of my arch is coming into contact with the bottom of the shoe. I'd resigned myself to the fact that these blisters were just a part of running until one of them got super infected. Now I'm back to solving the mystery of why I have giant blisters on my arches!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have no ideas what so ever to help you solve your problem, but I am elated to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem! If you do figure it out, please share with me! My next hope is trying out Somnio shoes, which are customized for the individual runner. I'll let you know if I have any luck with them.

Best,
  • HayesSanborn
    HayesSanborn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I started running I would double up my socks (thin wicking) which helped. Its related to your shoes and sock combo....just keep experimenting.

My GF and I did the Oshkosh Half Marathon a few years ago, I made it through the train tracks she did not and had to wait for the train. Hopefully they have that figured out my now...
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues...mostly when breaking in new versions of the same shoes.

A tip I picked up when I first started running...no kidding....duct tape!! Seriously...wrap the arch of your foot once or twice, take the tape completely around your foot. You want it tight, but not constricting. The beauty of duct tape is that it stays in place, but still pulls right off. I swear by it. I also slather my feet in vaseline before I run too. Balega socks are my favorites, and I do get "hot spots" if I don't wear them. I am slowly, but surely getting rid of all my old socks.

Ok I have heard this Vaseline thing before .... would I just slather this on and forgo the moleskin?
    Doesnt the duct tape stick bad to the feet. The moleskin at the end of the race was stuck to raw skin... and it hurt bad!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    When I started running I would double up my socks (thin wicking) which helped. Its related to your shoes and sock combo....just keep experimenting.

My GF and I did the Oshkosh Half Marathon a few years ago, I made it through the train tracks she did not and had to wait for the train. Hopefully they have that figured out my now...

Seriously? I might get stopped by a train.... oh boy?
  • micpen2
    Options
    I concur. Duct tape is a thousand times better than moleskin or athletic tape.

The only other suggestion is to try two-ply running socks. The two plys slide against each other instead of your foot against the shoe.
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I have the same issues...mostly when breaking in new versions of the same shoes.

A tip I picked up when I first started running...no kidding....duct tape!! Seriously...wrap the arch of your foot once or twice, take the tape completely around your foot. You want it tight, but not constricting. The beauty of duct tape is that it stays in place, but still pulls right off. I swear by it. I also slather my feet in vaseline before I run too. Balega socks are my favorites, and I do get "hot spots" if I don't wear them. I am slowly, but surely getting rid of all my old socks.

Ok I have heard this Vaseline thing before .... would I just slather this on and forgo the moleskin?
    Doesnt the duct tape stick bad to the feet. The moleskin at the end of the race was stuck to raw skin... and it hurt bad!

If you currently have a blister, you would still want to protect that area of the foot. If I have a blister I will put a small piece of gauze under the duct tape. But you could put the moleskin under the duct tape as well. And yes, it comes right off and doesn't pull at all. I wrap my foot w/duct tape then slather on the vaseline.

I get blisters because I pronate when I run, mostly on my left foot. Fortunately, I usually don't have any problems anymore unless I am breaking in a new pair of shoes.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I overpronate, so I wear shoes with support. The kind of support the shoe offers tries to stop my foot from rolling, but the foot still wants to roll - so it rubs on the arch. I find that body glide doesn't work for me - in fact it makes it worse.

Here's my foot after doing a half marathon with body glide on my feet and socks with two layers:

33704_484470825730_672680730_7362056_5354540_s.jpg

I have since found that vaseline works much better, and I find that merino wool (phd) socks wick the best for me. You just have to keep trying till you find what works for you. Have you tried another brand of shoes?

I also now tie my laces using a lace lock :
    lacehoop.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/shoes/how-to-lace-your-shoe/482.html

If you've got blisters, compeed blister plasters work really well and means you can keep on running. They're a little tricky to apply, you have to make sure they're nice and warm, but they work brilliantly.

Good luck

Erika
  • emmaleigh47
    Options

Erika

OMG Erika, love the picture! It looks just like my foot did at the end of my half ... except it was on the left foot instead of my right.
    I apparently have all sorts of feet problems... high arches, over pronation (so I am in a motion control shoe) and a desperate need for arch support or I have horrendous foot pain...

I might have to try the vaseline thing... I know that when I use a different insole I dont get blisters (but the foot pain is horrible because they dont have as good of arch support!)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Lotrimin will help dry out a blister to speed the healing process.

THIN well fitting socks. Most women's socks suck, so look at small men's or boys. The front seam should be on top of your toes, if its in front they are no good. The heel shouldn't have any material bunched beeping your heal and should cover the ankle bone. A lot of the 'no show' socks sit too low and can ride down your foot.

Do not tape your foot for any reason. That is an invitation for infection.

Spare socks. If your feet get hot or sweaty, change socks.

Foot powder. I have found Equate to be the best, Gold Bond the worse. Don't powder heavy. Sprinkle a small amount on top of your toes and rub it in. Don't let it build up between your toes. You can sprinkle some in your spare socks too.

Blisters form where there is either abrasion or pounding contact. It seems a little unusual for the blisters to be forming in your arches. It seems as if you may be landing on your heels and your foot is sliding forward in your shoes. That should cause blisters on the bottom of your toes. Possibly there is too much arch in your shoes? When trying new shoes on, the ones with excessive arches do seem to be more comfortable than proper fitting shoes.

A short soak in cold water, and scrub with a good facial soap can help dry out and sooth your feet. I like the Morning Burst Facial Clenser. Foot moisturizer isn't a good idea for runners, it softens your skin and will make blisters form that much faster.

Most importantly; proper fitting, dry socks made of cotton, and dry spares.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options

Erika

OMG Erika, love the picture! It looks just like my foot did at the end of my half ... except it was on the left foot instead of my right.
    I apparently have all sorts of feet problems... high arches, over pronation (so I am in a motion control shoe) and a desperate need for arch support or I have horrendous foot pain...

I might have to try the vaseline thing... I know that when I use a different insole I dont get blisters (but the foot pain is horrible because they dont have as good of arch support!)

I feel your pain - I have the flattest feet in the universe! I had a blister like that on both feet after my first half! I think the correction of a motion control shoe can definitely rub on the arch, that's exactly what my problem is, but if you need the support you need it! My blistering has got better over time (the feet do eventually toughen up, but it takes a lot longer than I'd like!), but finding socks that work for me has helped, and the lace lock stops your foot from sliding around so much. Incidentally my socks are ankle covering and seem to move around less than the low cut ones. Not tried powder, but I could see why that would help.

I think you just have to keep trying until you find a combo that works for you.

Erika
  • RMinVA
    Options
    Just wanted to address a few items from a prior post:

Do not tape your foot for any reason. That is an invitation for infection. - I have had NO problems taping my feet, and I have been doing it for several years now. And I know tons of other runners that swear by it.

Spare socks - hardly a practical solution

It seems a little unusual for the blisters to be forming in your arches. It seems as if you may be landing on your heels and your foot is sliding forward in your shoe. - It is not that unusual, as more than a few of our posts attest to. It usually happens when you go to a shoe with more arch support, which is exactly what you need if you pronate when you run.

Foot moisturizer isn't a good idea for runners, it softens your skin and will make blisters form that much faster. - Again, been doing Vaseline for years and no problems. Some people might not like the way it feels though.

I will add that I picked up many of these tips from Active.com or runnersworld.com as well as from friends that are much more seasoned than I. Bottom line, everyone has to figure out what works for them via trial and error.

Definitely digging the lace lock picture. I thought you were talking about these: http://www.locklaces.com/
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    What size running shoe do you wear? I'm asking because your running shoes should be a half size to one full size larger than your regular shoes. Perhaps your current ones are too small, hence the blistering?
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I wear a 10.5 running shoes and my feet are just under a size 10. Because of my high arches, some size 10 shoes do not fit right, and I have to go into an 11 in some brands.

I did try my shoes in an 11 but they felt floppy, like clown shoes... I have plenty of room in the toe box... I have never gotten any problems with toenails which according to the sales guy proves that the size is ok....
  • RMinVA
    Options
    I wear a 10.5 running shoes and my feet are just under a size 10. Because of my high arches, some size 10 shoes do not fit right, and I have to go into an 11 in some brands.

I did try my shoes in an 11 but they felt floppy, like clown shoes... I have plenty of room in the toe box... I have never gotten any problems with toenails which according to the sales guy proves that the size is ok....

Sounds like our feet are about the same size...I am a 9 1/2 and wear 10 1/2's to run. Completely agree about the toenail issue...haven't had any toenail problems since I went to a larger size. Before I did though, I lost one of my big toenails and the nails off the second toes on both of my feet.
  • bhmathews
    bhmathews Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am nursing an ugly, recurring blister, too. I changed brands with my new shoes, and it has tremendously helped with shin splints; the downside is that I now get blisters on the inside of my heel and bottom part of my arch.

I work with an amazing runner (have to give her props, she amazes me, just really gifted). She has given me the same advice you have gotten her; double thin layer socks, vaseline (which I'm sure makes the sock stick to your foot so it doesn't slip), and taping the blisters. She has not mentioned duct tape, but I am SO trying that today when I run. If you can protect that blister from the tape with some moleskin or gauze until it heals, I would think it should work great.

I also have never had trouble with infected blisters from taping them with athletic tape. I did, however, get an infection while not taping it. I got the infection under control, started taping it, and was good to go. I would think removing the tape immediately after running and then caring for the blister would prevent infection. In fact, I would think that the tape would provide a protective layer to the exposed skin from bacteria that may be lurking in your shoe.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    erikazj-Thank you so much for that awesome link!!