Does anyone watch the Biggest Loser and think...

Options
My body just does not look like that ...
I mean I am realistic as to what I look like... and I look at the people who weigh my weight, and their stomach looks totally different. I at least have a little bit of a waist ...

For example this season, the person who looks the closest to my body weighs about 20 pounds less than I do ... what gives?

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I THINK THE SAME THING!!! i see girls who weigh less than me and its like, im 20 lbs bigger than you! do I really look like that? I think i have rose colored glasses on when I look at myself
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if some of that has to do with the fact that all their weight is fat where some of ours includes muscle. I've thought the same thing myself.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    i'm there too
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing but I do think that our mental veiw of ourselves does cloud our outer view. I never think of myself of being that heavy and therefore I don't see the extra 20 + lbs that everyone else sees.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    I think the same thing but I do think that our mental veiw of ourselves does cloud our outer view. I never think of myself of being that heavy and therefore I don't see the extra 20 + lbs that everyone else sees.

i don't think of my self that fat eather but have a hard time thinking there is any way i would block out looking like that
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    i think part of this is probably because people's bodies are different shapes and sizes and aren't going to look exactly the same despite the number up there...
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i thought i was the only one! some days i do see it but other days i really dont i think its a coping mechanism...
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    denial maybe? or the fact that everyone is DIFFERENT and carries their weight in different places
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself in sports bra and shorts. You will look a lot different. I think I don't look too bad in the mirror, but when I see a picture of myself, it's a different story!:ohwell:
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I really didn't realize how big I was till my sister took pictures of me and posted them. I was so embarrassed. I don't have a full length mirror and really didn't think I was this big.

Well they always say being on tv adds like 10 lbs. Not really how true that is since I never met anyone on tv :indifferent:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I think people body is different two people can weigh same exact thing but it just depends on how they carry thier weight.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    i thought that too, but then i looked at their stats on the website. I don't know about you guys, but i am 5'8" and a lot of the females on the show are like 5'2" and 5'4"...height makes a HUGE difference. someone who is 5'2" as weighs the same as me looks a lot heavier than i do. the taller you are the more you can hide your weight. :) one advantage of being taller...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't watch biggest loser but I'll see in other shows where the weight is listed and the person looks like they are 50lbs heavier than me yet "apparently" they are like 20 lbs lighter and I wonder if I really look like that. It could be height difference though or bone structure etc.

I just hope what I see in the mirror is what I really look like and I'm not worse than what I think I am.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    it's the cameras! you know that saying how a camera adds 10 lbs. on you. well they're using HD cameras, ya know High Diet cameras? makes people look like they weigh less. :wink:
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    They're going for sensationalism. They pick the contestants who look a certain way and use cameras, lighting, and angles when possible. Definitely take a picture of yourself to get an idea of how you REALLY look.
  • chika26
    Options
    i love watching biggest loser, but also think they aren't doing it a healthy way.. work out like that can't be good for you.
  • chika26
    Options
    i thought that too, but then i looked at their stats on the website. I don't know about you guys, but i am 5'8" and a lot of the females on the show are like 5'2" and 5'4"...height makes a HUGE difference. someone who is 5'2" as weighs the same as me looks a lot heavier than i do. the taller you are the more you can hide your weight. :) one advantage of being taller...

i agree... im a tall girl and im am as heavy as one of the lady's on that show yet i look nothing like she dose. her belly fat hanging out heeps more and mine dose not so much
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    i love watching biggest loser, but also think they aren't doing it a healthy way.. work out like that can't be good for you.

Actually it's a really good way to do it. Their program isn't even as tough as military training.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I didnt know that ... I am a tall girl as well 5'9 maybe that is a difference. I mean hey Ill be honest, I have a gut, but its a solid gut that just sticks out ... my waist comes in a bit and my boobs arent as floppy. I am brutally honest with myself... I am not perfect, but my midsections doesnt have all of those rolls either?
  • mandyshell
    Options
    Absolutely!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one who thought that, lol. It's crazy how different people can wear the same weight as someone else on their body.