Vegetarian help

Options
Hey team awesome,

I need some help - I have recently decided to take the big leap into vegetarianism - this has been a long and carefully thought through personal decision but I now need some practical advice from any vege's out there.

What are the "basic's" the things you always have in your cupboard to cook with?
What is on your shopping list week to week?
What are any foods that are "tricky" or that I may expect I can eat?
What are your strategies for eating out or at other ppls places?

Cheers

Replies

• vckneff
    vckneff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 30 years, and I know. It is so hard to try to follow any "diet" that is out there, especially now with the emphasis on high protein.
    I'll help in any way you need. I have found that I just start counting my white carb items. (breads, potatoes), and eat those raw veggies.
    Let me know what you need.
    Have you ever tried any of the Moosewood cookbooks?
    VIcki
  • Amber824
    Amber824 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To answer a couple of questions...If I am eating out, I try for a salad or half portion of pasta with red sauce.Depending on the restaurant, it can actually be pretty easy. If you are at someone else's house, it can be difficult. I don't mind telling people I am a vegetarian, so I mention it in "casual conversation" ahead of time. You do get weird looks and lots of questions, but it's worth it. I was vegan for a while, but I am such a picky eater, it's hard to find a wide variety of food that I enjoy.

Hope this helps...Good Luck!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    Basic foods: tofu, low fat cheese, whole grain rice, black beans (really any beans but these are my favorite), vegetable stock, eggs

Shopping list: uh same as above lol plus lots of fruit and vegetables (apples, strawberries, bananas, squash, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli) plus some smart brand stuff like veggie hot dogs, Bacon, and amys kitchen tv dinners

Idk what you mean by tricky foods

Eating away from home: its tricky but on side dishes always ask if its made with chicken stock. If it comes down to it, get a grilled cheese (but those are high in calories) or a salad with a few crackers and fruit. At holiday dinners you are typically going to be stuck eating carb loaded side dishes only, unless you bring something of your own