Does 10lbs make an impact?

Options
Since joining MFP I have lost 8lbs, and I am ecstatic to see that number on the scale where it hasn't been since before my 7th grade year. But now, I'm starting to wondering if the next 10lbs (after I reach this 10lb goal) will make a difference :(

I look at the success stories everyday and I love the pictures and everything, but I really don't see but maybe one or two sets of pictures that are small victories (like 10, 15lbs differences). And I don't see much difference in myself after losing this, but I didn't take pictures either or maybe I would.

I today changed my goal weight to something smaller because looking at my body sure doesn't look like I only have 10lbs to go. I feel like I have 20 or so (which would be great, but thats not my goal right now). So I plan to start focusing now more on my toning to maybe look like I don't have that post baby pooch and saggy arms when I'm still young :-/

So basically, I'm wondering, has anyone really just stopped after losing a 10lb segment and been like "HOLY CRAP look at the difference that little bit made!" Because maybe I'm just in that "fat" state of mind and can't see this happening. :(

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It makes a difference. I've lost 10 lbs., and although I didn't take true "before" pics, I took pics last week and realized that my stomach is looking better already, and my posture is better because of my workouts. I don't know if it made a big enough difference for other people to notice it on me, but there is a difference. Hang in there, and keep going! Your mind has a hard time letting go of your old mental picture of yourself. I suggest going to take pictures of yourself RIGHT NOW so you have something to compare to when you lose the next 10. :)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a HOLY CRAP! moment, but I have noticed for sure!! My pants are starting to fall off, co-workers are noticing my loss without me mentioning, I have more energy, my ripply lower belly is a good bit less ripply!
  • eamartin
    eamartin Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I took a starting pic & pics after the first 10 and Im about to take another pic for the next 10 I lost. I can see a difference! It helps and although u cant see it in the mirror, everyone else can!! Keep it up!! Its sooo worth it!
  • nicfattypants
    nicfattypants Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i would be chuffed to bits with a 10lb weight loss:smile:
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 10lbs so far and it has made a huge difference! My clothes fit so much better, some of them no longer fit at all (too big) and I feel fantastic! I'm in this to lose the next 10 too!
  • catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can think of it this way--the next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes and really, truly see how much came off--imagine carrying that bag of potatoes everywhere you went--I think you'll be surprised!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will work or not....but if it works check out my profile pics under the "shudder" album. You'll see that 10 pounds can look very different!

http://www.livestrong.com/profile/archyjill/
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds, and when I look at the mirror I don't see me smaller (actually I wear the same jeans size), BUT, if I take a measuring tape and measure me, oh my if I'd changed, I have 10% less fat that 4 months ago and even more centimeters all over my body, and that alone made me feel awesome. You can try that too, mirror nor always reflect how well we are, at least in my case, that's because I look at the mirror almost everyday.
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I noticed a difference and my partner definitely did!
  • 2MarcoFlores
    Options
    keep it up the hardest thing is to keep on going ..... but if you keep on going your second wind will kick in and it will be
    a beautiful thing when it does.... 10 pounds is a huge difference but it is the beginning to something grater
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am only at 8.4 pounds lost, and I have already lost 2 inches in my waist and 2 inches in my hips, so yes, I think 10 pounds is noticeable!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    For me 20 lbs doesn't make much of a difference I still wear the same size clothes except now they are not so tight. I have rings that were hard to remove and now slipping off easily. You know things are going the right way. I still have a belly but it is now 3 inches smaller which I notice when I tuck in a shirt but most people don't.
  • Endershadow
    Endershadow Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think we have trouble seeing a difference because we look in the mirror everyday. Our friends who we don't see everyday are noticing the difference!
  • Jasmine_Moonstone
    Jasmine_Moonstone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hit the12lb mark as of yesterday. While I can not really "see" a difference I can "feel" a difference. I feel better in general & my clothes are starting to become way to loose. Also other people have noticed a difference. So, while it may not be obvious to yourself, it is a big difference.
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    HELL YES 10 POUNDS MAKES A DIFFERENCE! Celebrate this victory! I agree with previous posters about taking pictures of yourself RIGHT NOW, and measure yourself RIGHT NOW. Write down your weight as of today, the measurements of your biceps, chest, waist, hips, both thighs, and even your calves. You will be amazed at how much 10 pounds can change your body. Measure yourself every 30 days.

I have only lost 6 pounds but my husband has noticed a difference. Surprising since he sees me everyday. My mother in law also made a comment about it the other day too.

Keep your head up, and congratulations to you!!!! Be proud of what you have done, because I know it hasn't been easy!

BTW, carrying around a 10 pound bag of potatoes is a great idea.

There is one other thing you should know too. Loosing those 10 pounds has improved your health on the inside of you. Lowering your weight by 10 pounds can significantly drop your blood pressure, lower your resting heart rate, decrease your cholesterol, etc.

BE PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!
  • kitta3
    kitta3 Posts: 84
    Options
    we are always harder on ourselves
    it depends on the body type, whether i notice weight loss

but when i lose amounts like that i go to the supermarket and lift 10 pounds of sugar or flour
    that really makes you think about how much weight just came off
  • abbylane35
    Options
    I've noticed a big difference, just in the way I am able to move easier and not get as winded as quickly! Plus, it sure is motivating to get to those ten pound marks...I'm working on getting to my next 10 lb. mark of weight loss (and hopefully that next pant size down)!!
  • kendf60
    kendf60 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Each 10 lbs has made a difference for me;
    10 lbs clothes not tight anymore.
    20 lbs. Clothes getting baggy.
    30 lbs. Many people noticing the weight loss.
    40 lbs. Thrift store for some clothes to make it through to goal weight.
    50 lbs. Actually starting to seem some muscle definition.
    60 lbs. Just a little pooch and small love handles.
    Currently at 68.5 lbs. Lost and no longer would be embarrassed to take my shirt off at the beach.
    Goal weight 190 lbs, hoping to actually look good with shirt off, if not, will reset goal weight to get there.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    10 pounds IS a difference. If I was 10 pounds lighter, my clothes would fit a LOT better.

And 10 pounds is just the start!
  • mommycate
    mommycate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :) Seriously these replies turned my day around :)

and I think i will find me 10lbs of something and put it in a backpack and try carrying it around for awhile! Because I never thought of it like that. My camera is also currently charging. Those "dreaded!" pics will be taken tonight and stored away with lock and key for at least 15 days :)

Thank you everyone!!!