XBox 360 Kinect calories

Options
Has anyone got any clue to how many calories you can lose by playing Kinect games?

Replies

• Precious3876
    Precious3876 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw a post online that it burns 100 calories per 15 minutes played. Sorry, I cant remember or find the site.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It depends on the game, your intensity, your age and your weight.

I can burn 550-650 calories doing 45 minutes of Zumba on the intermediate level.

I burned 280 calories doing 20 minutes of Zumba on the intermediate level.

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. You will love it.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the game, and varies a lot within each game. Bowling on Kinect Sports doesn't really burn much for me, but a couple of the mini games will burn more in short bursts. Track and field events in Kinect Sports can burn a few calories, as can Dance Central, and doing the obstacle course or dodgeball events in Kinect Adventures.

I have used Your Shape for cardio quite a bit, and found that it was understimating my calories burned by up to 50% over 30 minutes compared to my HRM.
  • nickyjeman
    nickyjeman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It depends on the game, your intensity, your age and your weight.

I can burn 550-650 calories doing 45 minutes of Zumba on the intermediate level.

I burned 280 calories doing 20 minutes of Zumba on the intermediate level.

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. You will love it.

Wow! That's a lot of calories burned!! I'm sure it's fun too. At the moment, the Kinect games are quite expensive as it just came out over Christmas. I'm hoping for the prices to come down before I go crazy on all the exercise games. I'm very motivated now!!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    We have the EA Sports Active that comes with the HRM. I thought it was underestimating my calories so I am very happy hubby got me an HRM with chest strap. I'm totally going to use it when I play volleyball on Kinect Sports. That game is awesome!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    We have the EA Sports Active that comes with the HRM. I thought it was underestimating my calories so I am very happy hubby got me an HRM with chest strap. I'm totally going to use it when I play volleyball on Kinect Sports. That game is awesome!

I have this game but I haven't tried it yet. I'm doing only Zumba this month. So March 1st I'm going to give it a go. Glad to see you like it.
  • wonk1968
    Options
    Ive been using the kinect with active sport 2, its burning about 250 cals for 25mins approx, varies from workout to work as it changes the routine every time, some days its all round work so burn a bit less, then other times it might be lower body & the calori burn goes higher. Been playing it 3 weeks & love it, absolutely kills me some of the exercises.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I just got the Kinect yesterday and bought Zumba (God, I just love Zumba!) and Dance Central. Haven't used my HRM yet, but judging by how much I sweat, it's gotta be good!
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have this game but I haven't tried it yet. I'm doing only Zumba this month. So March 1st I'm going to give it a go. Glad to see you like it.

If you're talking about the Kinect Sports, it's a lot of fun. I sweat like crazy playing volleyball and Track & Field.
    The EA Active Sports 2 is really difficult if you're not used to exercising at all (like me). I love the workouts though. There are a few on there that I hate with every fiber of my being because they hurt... but it's a good hurt so I can't help but keep going back for more! lol
  • nickyjeman
    Options
    Here's another post that might help us out with Kinect, especially Dance Central.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/151206-xbox-360-kinect-dance-central-calories?page=1#posts-2305299
  • nickyjeman
    Options
    I saw a post online that it burns 100 calories per 15 minutes played. Sorry, I cant remember or find the site.

That's ok. Thank you for the suggestion and I have found a post that might help, see past post. (Above....)
  • ClaudiC
    Options
    Hey guys! I just started back into my zumba work out, where do yall suggest i can get the best heart rate monitor and stuff so i can see how much i burn calorie wise? thanks so much(:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you get the "My Shape" fitness game for Kinect - it counts the calories for you.
    But it all depends on the intensity of the effort you are putting in.
  • MyQuest4HealthierMamaMichelle
    Options
    I usually put it in my exercise diary as Wii sports, zumba, tennis, etc. and figure it's at least as much on XBOX, I move more on there than I ever did on Wii.