Having to pee in the middle of the night

Options
So awhile ago I started drinking more water, but then I started to have to go pee in the middle of the night. At first it was no big deal, but now it is getting annoying, because I don't sleep as well because it takes me awhile to fall asleep again.

I drink around 6 cups of water on an average day, maybe more if I need to (exercising), but I still have to get up to go to the bathroom.

Oh, and I don't drink any water after 6 o'clock, and I go to bed at 10, going to the bathroom before bed, of course.

Does this mean I can lower the amount of water I actually drink because I am getting water from other foods during the day?

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    it takes a while for your body to adjust to all that extra water. you are better to slowly add aglass at atime over a few weeks instead of immediately drink alot. good luck :drinker:
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    make sure you go pee before bed?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Don't reduce the amount of water you're drinking. You're not even meeting your 8 glasses per day recommendation. Just try to drink more water earlier in the day.

I often drink 6 glasses of water after about 5pm and don't always have to go to the bathroom. Of course, I haven't had an uninterrupted night of sleep in over 9 months, thanks to my son!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I had that for a while, but your body gets used to it, maybe go lower and build it up, my problem was tea before bed, too much liquid meant i was up at 3am padding to the bathroom (which really annoyed my flatmates).

This is a silly question but how much is 8 glasses? in litres or something, i find the 'cups' very vague, (or is it 'cup' the measurement, and if so, what is that in mililitres, im from the UK and have no idea what a 'cup' is, i still go by tablespoons!)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue!!! I have to get up to go and it seems like I am not getting enough sleep now. But i think it's something out bodies have to get used to.
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    This is a silly question but how much is 8 glasses? in litres or something
    8 cups = 1.8927059 liters
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It is annoying, but I'm dealing with it. I figure it's just one of those small speed bump in the road to my bikini body. :laugh:
  • als0317
    als0317 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had that for a while, but your body gets used to it, maybe go lower and build it up, my problem was tea before bed, too much liquid meant i was up at 3am padding to the bathroom (which really annoyed my flatmates).

This is a silly question but how much is 8 glasses? in litres or something, i find the 'cups' very vague, (or is it 'cup' the measurement, and if so, what is that in mililitres, im from the UK and have no idea what a 'cup' is, i still go by tablespoons!)

A cup is 8oz, or about 250 ml. 8 cups is just shy of 2000 ml per day. I have a water bottle that marks 32oz & 1000ml on it, so I try to have AT LEAST two per day.
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    thanks! I have a 500ml bottle, I'll now make sure to have 4 per day. xxx
  • ian191
    ian191 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I have been drinking this amount of water for months now, so I don't think my body will really ever get used to it if it hasn't happened yet.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

1 cup is approximately 250 ml, basically a quarter of a litre. That is the measurement they mean by "cups"
  • Tarah1357
    Tarah1357 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have always drank a lot of water. I generally take in about 60 oz per day plus probably another 16-24 with iced coffee. At least 4 or 5 nights out of 7 I'm up to use the bathroom. I've just gotten used to it. If you're not normally a big water drinker, it'll just take some adjusting from your body. Good luck!

:)
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different needs. The old "8 glasses a day" is pretty outdated, and there's speculation that we may be in fact getting TOO much water.

Listen to your body. Avoid thirst. But don't chug what you can't handle :)

If it's persistent no matter how much water you do (or don't) drink, maybe talk to your Doctor. Don't want anything bad to go unnoticed!
  • MrsPeachy
    Options
    You'll know you are getting enough water by the color of your urine. It should be like a pale lemonade color ... if it is darker, drink more; if it is lighter, maybe back off a bit.

Also, I'm not sure of your gender or age, but (with women anyways) hormonal changes as we age can impact the ability to hold urine all night.
  • thirks
    Options
    I've always been a night time wee-er. Try not opening your eyes, daft as it sounds. I toddle to the loo with my eyes shut on auto pilot so I barely wake.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Okay, you may have something else going on. You need at least eight glasses of water a day. I have the same problem. Sometimes I go pee 3 times within 15 minutes when I lay down to sleep. I had this checked out. Turns out, my bladder has dropped! Many women who have had kids, or lost/gain a significant amount of weight will have this happen. So, have you had kids, or gained/lost a lot of weight? Go to your OBGYN. They may need to do an ultra sound. I never had kids, but lost 80 pounds. I

Your kidneys may also not be in top notch. How much meat are you consuming? Sometimes your kidneys get affected.
    I hope this helps
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When you do have to get up to go, don't turn a light on. Maybe put a night light where you have to have some light to get to the bathroom. That helps me get back to sleep faster when I have to get up.