Is losing ten pounds in three weeks a realistic goal?

Options
I have a weekend trip planned for March 4th, and I would like to drop ten pounds by then so I can fit better into the outfit I bought for the occasion.

Is that a realistic goal, or am I setting myself up for exhaustion and failure?

Edit: I want to lose ten pounds of FAT, I have no interest in losing temporary water weight. I want to actually change the look of my body, not the number on the scale.

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out most people tend to lose 7 to 10 pounds of water weight. If you are only looking for a temporary 10 lbs weight loss then you can do the atkins diet. The 1st two weeks you normally drop weight really quick.
  • rrjs
    rrjs Posts: 46
    Options
    I've been at this for a few weeks and so far I've only managed to be able to lose 3 lbs.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Well, judging by your own loss so far, it is not realistic. It wouldn't affect your figure all that much, which, I assume, is what you really mean. To fit into an outfit you need to lose fat, not just water, that requires gaining muscle to burn off that fat quicker. Try some weight training mixed in with cardio.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Unless you're very very overweight, 1-2 lbs per week is a more realistic and healthy target. You can probably lose 10 lbs in 3 weeks, but you run the risk of feeling like crap and doing some damage to your metabolism, which may cause you to gain it all back and more.
  • tungaiunwa
    tungaiunwa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    well you need to do some serious exercising or cut calories drastically. to lose 3 pounds a week average you need to cut or burn off 10,500 calories a week but that is not good because chances are it will come back probably 2 fold.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you have to lose. The more you have, the more realistic it will be I think. Also as the other person said, the first few weeks are when it all comes off quickly, I think in my third week I had 6lbs come off in just that week but I wasn't doing any more than the other weeks.
    I'd say just follow a reasonable, healthy eating plan with exercise, don't do more than your body can cope with, eat enough and sleep enough and the weight should come off at the rate it's meant to :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a few weeks and so far I've only managed to be able to lose 3 lbs.
    Then it probably not possible. You would only lose water weight anyways. It will show on the scale but not where I think you are looking for it to show and thats your attire.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to lose that much in such a short period of time. Most people can't lose more than 2 pounds per week safely. And judging by your weight loss thus far, it's not likely.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    In a word - NO!
    Lose weight the healthy way - slow and steady!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    NO you can lose 10 lbs of fat in 3 weeks. Water weight maybe but that would even be pushing it.