need advice: afraid of the scale

Options
Okay, I have one other thing to admit to all my new buddies. I'm great at keeping up with my diet, and I exercise a few times a week. But I've yet to weigh myself since last year. I totally guestimated what I THINK my weight is, but obviously I don't know. i'm seriously afraid to know. I don't want to cry again (which is usually what I do when I get on one) How can I overcome this problem? I'm literally scared to death of a scale. No joke.:cry:

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just hop on there, you'd be surprised! Do you pray? Maybe try to pray before you get on the scale, pray that God would give you courage to get on the scale and peace within you over whatever the number on it is! :smile:
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Take your measurements instead. Take them every month. You need to know your actual weight to calculate how many calories you are burning and how many you need, but if it freaks you out that much, I'd just do measurements for a month or two. Even once you do get on the scale, you still need to continue to take measurements. Otherwise, just suck it up and know you're going to cry. The fear of the thing is far worse than the actual thing. It always is (says the ex-shrink).
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Here, I'll go first.

Ok, who's next?
  • Koda_bear
    Options
    I do pray. But I lack confidence and I know it's going to make my self esteem plummet. I usually end up really frustrated and disappointed in myself.
  • Koda_bear
    Options
    Lol. I still need to buy the dreaded scale. I think I'm 175. Or at least in the vicinity.
  • xbratschex
    xbratschex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have one other thing to admit to all my new buddies. I'm great at keeping up with my diet, and I exercise a few times a week. But I've yet to weigh myself since last year. I totally guestimated what I THINK my weight is, but obviously I don't know. i'm seriously afraid to know. I don't want to cry again (which is usually what I do when I get on one) How can I overcome this problem? I'm literally scared to death of a scale. No joke.:cry:

I have the same problem! I know I've lost weight and I fit into pants I didn't fit in before, but I'm petrified of seeing the number...!
  • vulcangrrl
    Options
    Try and remember that you're CHANGING things in your life now - as painful as the scale may be now, imagine the fantastic number you'll see in no time at all.
    And maybe again, that for calorie counting to be as effective as possible you do need to know your exact weight.
    Imagine the beautiful numbers on your weight loss counter as well - that's one thing that motivates me.

And most of all - the weight isn't as important as your health - and by making healthy choices and exercising your health will definitely be getting better and better.
  • ChristieDF
    ChristieDF Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    208 9 more lbs to get under 200!! You can do it!!!! You need the accurate calorie count. You will feel better then start doing your measurements for a couple of months and weigh. You will love the results.
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It took me two months to work up to getting on a scale, and when I did I weighed 20 pounds more than I thought I did. But guess what? I've now lost that twenty pounds and I'm working on the next twenty. Slowly.:mad:

But if I hadn't weighed myself, I might not have kept up with the journey, because I wasn't being strictly honest with myself about who I was (not that I identify only with my weight but it is part of who I am). I totally agree with the folks who urge you to take your measurements (weekly?) so you can tell if you are going in the right direction. Maybe after some reduction of inches, you'll get the courage to step on that scale and really get started with your journey towards fitness and a right relationship with food.

Good luck!

Christabeltoria (who has been where you are, and who was glad to get that jolt of reality, because it jumpstarted her progress).
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You're in the right place to make the necessary changes. Everyone has a starting point. How can you celebrate your success without truly knowing how successful you've been. Besides, a good cry sometimes is the best medicine. It's better to get all those emotions out than to hold it all in.
  • Koda_bear
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Guess I just have to man up and face my fears! Maybe I will get mad and it will motivate me to work even harder!
  • cpumeu
    cpumeu Posts: 89
    Options
    You can't deal with your weight without knowing where you are and how far you have to go. Just get on it...If you have to cry......then cry....then pick yourself up, dry off your face and make those changes so that the scale no longer has control over you!
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    Is there any reason why you have to get on the scale? I started getting on the scale because it helped me. I lied to myself without it. I didn't actually feel fat or think I was big. I needed the scale for a reason.

But there's no inherently good reason to get on the scale. If you can commit to exercising and counting calories, then, stay off of it. I see people on MFP all the time who get so demoralized by the scale. Who want to stop exercising or who want to run off and eat a dozen donuts because the scale isn't telling them what they want. So, if you can stay the course without it, at least for a while, why not? (I am now addicted to the scale, and wish I could stay off of it, but that's a tale for another thread...)

Give yourself a month to not get on the scale. To build your good habits and self esteem. Then you can re-evaluate your decision.

The scale is just a tool. If you don't find it helpful, don't use it!
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    in all honesty you'll see both sides of the debate on this one. i set a singular day to weigh in and try to do it once a month. you know why?

because i prefer to be honest with myself about my life choices. I started at 322 lbs. yeah. that bad. i'm 9lbs down. I wouldn't know that if i hadn't gotten on the scale today, 1mo in. :)

with the downside of knowing your real weight, there is the upside of seeing your progress. and progress is good.

do measurements too. i haven't had the heart for that one. i will though.
  • monkeyhead1975
    Options
    Let me tell you a story.... I am ex weight watchers. I was extremely successful on the program lost over 50 pounds. I had plateaud according to the scale. Every week we had to go into weigh in and my pounds had slowed and had some weeks, they had stopped. I was working out twice a day, doing an hour of cardio and lifting very heavy weights. I knew how hard I had bee working, could see the muscles going on, and the definition. I could tell my body continued to transform. I began to dread the weigh in. The last time I went to a weight watchers meeting and weiged in, I was insulted by one of the employees. It was bad enough that I knew I wasn't "seeing" results in the scale form anymore, but she defeated me. On that last week I lost nothing, in fact I had put on a little over a pound. She said to me, "it's obvious that you are overestimating the exercise you are actually doing, and underestimating what you are actually eating." I walked out of that meeting defeated. Instead of going with what I knew to be true in my heart, that I was exercising and eating perfectly and that my body was gaining muscle weight and transforming in a new way, I let her defeat me. I quit. I gained every bit of that weight back, I stopped the gym and here I am. I am once again suceeding and I am accountable only to myself and not the a scale every week. I know that eventually, that scale will stop moving, and I will know exactly why. The scale is only accurate over time, we fluctuate daily....and women fluctate more than men. I will not let the scale or a person defeat my progress again. If the scale is your nemisis, then go on your measurements. Don't let something like that defeat you! I let that defeat me, when I should have just taken her ignorance and lack of knowledge for working out into stride. You know if you are doing well, who needs a number to define that? I weigh once a week or two. The more I start lifting again, the less I will weigh. I will know that my clothes are looser, and that my body is changing. I will know I am being true to the plan, and I will know when I cheat. I hope that helps to encourage you. Seriously a scale is only one way of judging your success!
    {
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You have to own up to the number.. no matter what it is, whether it's smaller than what you thought or larger. If it's not the number you were expecting, just work towards getting it to a number you want. Then you can make a goal and exercise and eat healthy to achieve it!
  • alischiawilcox
    Options
    I admit I am the same way. I am exercising my butt off but still have a ways to go and I'm afraid that I will be discouraged if I know what my true weight is at this point. When I see more of a difference in how my clothes feel...well then maybe.
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    this post is exactly what I needed to hear!!! Thank you so much for sharing that, I have been in a slump for a week. No gain but I stayed the same and it has thrown me for a loop because I no the commitment that I have given to this change,this is exactly why I'm so thankful I have this site to help me through!!!
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As long as you have clothes there is no reason why you need to step on the scale. You don't need to know that number in order to know if you are feeling better physically. You don't need to know that number to see if your cholesterol is healthy. That number really means nothing and if it causes you to get off track throw the scale out.
    HOWEVER there is a bigger issue here to address. No one should ever measure themselves, their value, their self worth, on outside factors. Instead of working on getting over the fear of the scale, work on recognizing you as a valuable person at any size.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    IMO the scales ar emerely a tool just like calories counting etc. they are helpful but not the only thing to consider. But with that i truely believe you need to get on and own up to the numbers. You can't change something you know nothing about. Infomation is power, although knowing the number is hard at least you have that power back to change it!!