Changing scales??

Options
So when I started this journey in April of 2010 I bought a regular ol' scale because, frankly, I didn't have a lot of faith in myself of keeping up with this and it was the cheapest one LOL NOW, every week I step on and off that damn scale at least three times to make sure I got the same number more than once because it's a little unreliable the first go round. My husband complains about it every weigh-in and wants a digital scale REAL bad. I wouldn't mind having one so that it will give me an exact read out instead of having to guess, plus I can't tell if it's 216.00, 216.50, or 216.75 ya know? I think that would be handy....
HOWEVER I'm concerned with changes scales in the middle of this...well not necessarily in the middle...but you know :)
Anyone out there change scales? Is it a good or bad idea?
Thanks!!

Replies

• CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I know everyone has different experiences, but I have 2 scales. One is over seventy years old, it's one of those that used to be on the city streets, you deposit a coin and it gives the weight; the other is relatively new, they both give me the same read out. So, in my case anyway, I find that a scale is a scale. :smile:
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I bought a digital scale a few years ago, but it was the cheapest on the market and certainly not the best. Like you, I have to step on it several times and wait until I get the same reading twice and go by that.

I'd love to get a new scale, but I'm worried re: how that will impact my weight and progress here.

Are we being silly?
  • ms_hawk81
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing! I say go for it. Just know that its a know the scale reading will likely be different. I'm thinking about getting the weight watchers scale...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii Fit because my bathroom scale is so hard to read. And it gives a different result if depending on my balance. If I'm standing more on my heels it's lower than if I stand more on my toes. But, it's always a few pounds over what the Wii says and the Wii is very close to scales at my doctor's offices.

Oh, so changing scales won't hurt anything, it just may give you a more accurate readout. You won't know if the number is higher, lower or the same until you get a new one.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to get a scale as I currently don't have one. I think the best way to measure your success is by how you feel and how your clothes fit than by a number on a scale (unless it is crucial for you to be at a certain weight). Shop around and maybe buy something towards the higher end of what you can afford. Perhaps ask some store staff or google reviews. I'm hoping to pick one up for myself next pay actually.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I changed scales from an old, cheap spring scale to a digital scale about six or seven months into my journey. I weighed myself each week on both to make sure that the difference was consistant every time. (the digital scale was six pounds higher) When I determined that that six pounds was the true difference I went back to MFP and edited all of my previous weigh-in entries to be six pounds higher. So it still reflected my overall loss increments properly but reflected my correct weight and made it so I could enter the weight from my digital scale on an ongoing basis.

AndI would never trust my Wii Balance Board for normal weigh-ins. I compared it on multiple days to my bathroom scale and it never matched. Sometimes being over five pounds higher, even when trying to adjust for clothes work (or lack thereof) when checked immediately after using my bathroom scale. It varied from 2 pounds under to 9 pounds over, and never consistantly one way or the other.

This is the scale I have and I love it. It's a Taylor that's been branded for The Biggest Loser (but I don't care about that part) http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16691062

It can hold weight/personal data for multiple people in the household, weighs in .2 of a pound units, shows you your BMI and even what your maintenance calories would be at the weight you currently are. And the buttons are super easy to press with your toes so you never have to bend down. Plus I can step on and off of it multiple times I always get the same weight reading (no matter how much I may want it to go down. lol)

It's $40 and since it's Bed, Bath, and Beyond you can use one of their 20% off coupons for it to make it even cheaper.