How can my fiance get more calories??

Options
I'm really stuck with this and any help would be appreciated.
My fiance is 6ft 4 and has a recommended cal intake of 2100 (lucky thing!). Mine is 1200.
In order for me to not go over my calories I amd eating super healthily and having smaller portions. The problem is that when I cook for both of us I can't just serve him twice as much...he'd get really bored eating a mountain of aubergine stew.
Tonight, for example I'm having to make an additional soup for dinner that he'll eat with haf a baguette and butter. Plus he's going to have to eat extra rice. This would be fine, but what happens when he plays sports?????? I'll be cooking forever!
Please can someone clue me in. How do couples eat together???? x

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    have add almonds or peanutbutter as a snack a few times a day.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    My fave dinner is a taco bar - I make all the fixins' and set them out and the fam can eat as they please, I just toss my fixins over lettuce with lowfat cheese and lowfat sour cream. I can stay around 300- 400c
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1100 cals and my husband just eats normally, but he is starting to have smaller portions but still get what he needs to take in and we look at what we are eating together, but we don't get neurotic, if we fancy something naughy but nice we will have it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my husband. He has a fairly active job (landscaper) plus he is just a bigger guy even without the weight, so he already gets a lot of calories plus if he works out that's even more. Eating taco bell and McDonalds he can meet it and go over no problem, but when he eats healthy he has a reall hard time getting all of his calories in for the day. So no real advice, but we feel your pain.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that dinner is what you eat, just more of it. He would probably have a double serving of protien and some whole grain breads. However, he probably needs to add in more snacks. Nuts and cheese make really good snacks and are a bit more high calorie.
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How do couples eat together????

Teach HIM how to cook. Simple.
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Thanks guys. I should also mention that he just can't get into the snacking thing. Neither of us can really. I think in order to sustain weight loss we need to come up with a meal solution.
    I'm just praying he doesn't burn thousands of calories on thurs with his badminton session :frown:
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Does he actually need to meet his calorie intake??
  • SteveDalton
    Options
    Stay away from the fast food, add a quality protein shake especially if he's into sports. I'd be happy to recommend something if you want to email me. I by no means am intending on promoting anything but I can provide my opinion if you like.
  • phinners
    Options
    Depends whether he's wanting to lose, gain or maintain.

What does he want to do?
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    he really should have more bigger snacks during the day, a larger lunch healthy not junk than at night he could just have more In other words let him plan his day better, let him know whats up for dinner and than he can work the rest of his day around that. It great you are being so supportive!
  • phinners
    Options
    Im wondering also if you are nearly moved in together because surely cooking for a partner is someone one does anyway and not then worrying over them getting the daily whatevers, he's a man not a child, you dont need to stress over his calorie intake and unless he needs you to?

Maybe I'm missing the point here?
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Thanks guys. I should also mention that he just can't get into the snacking thing. Neither of us can really. I think in order to sustain weight loss we need to come up with a meal solution.
    I'm just praying he doesn't burn thousands of calories on thurs with his badminton session :frown:
    To lose weight yes and he must learn to snack 3 hugh meals like that are really not good for your diegestive systems. Life style changes will make better lifes
  • VictoriaMilanowski
    Options
    Hahaha I like the teach him to cook comment!
    I am breastfeeding now so I need a few more calories than I otherwise would and I eat oatmeal to make up the difference. Depending on the day I will have one pkg of low suger maple and brown sugar mixed with one or two pkg's of original. It adds the calories without undoing my whole day. He could probably eat whatever kind he wanted to though. If he doesn't like oatmeal... well then I don't know. lol
    And... I have the same problem with my husband, but he just doesn't like veggies at all... lately I've been cooking two seperate meals every night..........
  • phinners
    Options
    I'm breast feeding also, and all seems to be well with me limiting my calorie intake. Littleman is still growing like a tropper! :)

Congrats to you btw.
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    Im wondering also if you are nearly moved in together because surely cooking for a partner is someone one does anyway and not then worrying over them getting the daily whatevers, he's a man not a child, you dont need to stress over his calorie intake and unless he needs you to?

I have to worry about him because I want him to succeed. Plus we both keep getting bigger and bigger so without supporting one another we know where it leads. We' rejust trying to educate ourselves a little so we can sustain healthy weight loss.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

He is going to have to learn how to have smaller meals. Part of this new healthy lifestyle is retraining your habits and thought process. Remove the word snack because its tainted. Think of it as 2 extra meals. If he adds nuts he will use some of the calories. Juice with no sugar added also will use up some of those calories. The last thing you want to start is a bad habit of over eating at breakfast, lunch and dinner because you can't get into snacking.
  • phinners
    Options

I have to worry about him because I want him to succeed. Plus we both keep getting bigger and bigger so without supporting one another we know where it leads. We' rejust trying to educate ourselves a little so we can sustain healthy weight loss.
    Ah gotcha I see what you mean? I didnt quite understand your original post.

Is he taking things as seriously as you are? Or is he just floating along and expecting you to work everything out? Because I think he would have to be just as organised as yourself to succeed. That way you can support each other really well.
  • Rupeedoo
    Options
    To lose weight yes and he must learn to snack 3 hugh meals like that are really not good for your diegestive systems. Life style changes will make better lifes

I think you may be right. Although I hardly have enough calories for my meals i think he should definitely take up snacks. How on earth has he put on weight with such a massive calorie recommendation??? I'm not sure I could eat that many every day if I tried!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

You are doing the right thing about inquiring. I'm glad both of you have each other to motivated and get educated together.