Hourly rate for babysitter?

Options
whouwannab
whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
What do you pay your babysitter per hour? This would be for a Friday or Saturday night out. This is a neighbor girl who is just starting out. She is 13. My boys are 4 and 15 months. My 15 month old goes to bed about 7pm, 4 year old usually goes to bed about 8pm. Thanks

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My daycare does Parents night out. They charge $20 for 3-4 hours.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that it depends on your location and such. When we actually get to go out on a Saturday night, I pay our babysitter between $9/10 hour. My son is almost three and has horrible separation anxiety, meaning it's a hellish night for the babysitter.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Is she Red Cross certified?
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    it doesn't matter what time your kids go to bed. That person is repsonsible for them as long as you aren't there, so I wouldn't base my price on that. Besides what if that's the night they don't go to bed early.

Remember this is someone you are leaving with your kids and you get what you pay for. If she's been around children that young 15 months, before than I say she should make at least $7-8 an hour.

Daycare facilities can charge less per hour because they are spreading their cost out across many children. If I had someone watch my 8 year old I would pay them $10 an hour.
  • melissashparago89
    Options
    It's all about experience, so I always get $10-12 an hour.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you're from. Don't pay her minimum wage, she won't come back. If you're in a suburban area I'd say go with about $10/hour. I agree that it doesn't matter if your kids go to bed early or not, she's still there being responsible for them. If you give her a good rate to start with, and she does a good job and your kids like her, she will go out of her way to make time for you in the future. If you don't pay her well/your kids are very difficult, she'll be much more likely to choose a movie with her friends over baby-sitting for you.

Good baby sitters are hard to find!!!
  • Amcaz623
    Amcaz623 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I charge $10 an hour to baby sit in my home and $13 if I come to you.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Good question. I will have to find out about that. Good stuff to know.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    we pay 15$/hr...
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Depends on where you're from. Don't pay her minimum wage, she won't come back. If you're in a suburban area I'd say go with about $10/hour. I agree that it doesn't matter if your kids go to bed early or not, she's still there being responsible for them. If you give her a good rate to start with, and she does a good job and your kids like her, she will go out of her way to make time for you in the future. If you don't pay her well/your kids are very difficult, she'll be much more likely to choose a movie with her friends over baby-sitting for you.

Good baby sitters are hard to find!!!
  • whouwannab
    Options
    Sounds like $10/hr is the going rate and I totally agree with what you are saying.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    We pay our sitter $10 an hour.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think my daughter gets around $10 an hour when she babysits to kids a cross the street. Plus they buy pizza. And she beats the crap out of the boys on their Wii.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    it doesn't matter what time your kids go to bed. That person is repsonsible for them as long as you aren't there, so I wouldn't base my price on that. Besides what if that's the night they don't go to bed early.

Remember this is someone you are leaving with your kids and you get what you pay for. If she's been around children that young 15 months, before than I say she should make at least $7-8 an hour.

Daycare facilities can charge less per hour because they are spreading their cost out across many children. If I had someone watch my 8 year old I would pay them $10 an hour.

Yes that would definitley be the night they would not want to go to bed! lol
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    hmmm this is a good question.My mom used to live with me and my hubby befor we moved so I had built in babysitting lol now we havent been out in ages.I was thinking of having my 15 yr old son babysitt the 3 yr old but I just get to nervous.I dont use daycare because I dont trust people lol
  • whouwannab
    Options
    I think my daughter gets around $10 an hour when she babysits to kids a cross the street. Plus they buy pizza. And she beats the crap out of the boys on their Wii.

That's definitely right up their alley!!. Gotta have pizza and oreos and the Wii!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you can find somebody for $5 an hour, grab that person (make sure they're responsible though!). My 17-year-old daughter usually gets at least $10 an hour for babysitting. She does really well with that gig.
  • whouwannab
    Options
    hmmm this is a good question.My mom used to live with me and my hubby befor we moved so I had built in babysitting lol now we havent been out in ages.I was thinking of having my 15 yr old son babysitt the 3 yr old but I just get to nervous.I dont use daycare because I dont trust people lol

I am a little nervous because 13 sounds young to me, but the good thing is her mom would be home and they just live next door. So she could call her mom if she needed help.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think $10 an hour is a fair rate, like most people here. You're getting a night off and she's learning some valuable experiences while earning her first wage. If you're still feeling unsure, see if you can get her Mum to check in once an hour. Make sure your contact info is on the fridge :) I'm sure she'll be fine.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    For that age of a bbsitter i pay 6 dollars a hr