Hypothyroidism????

Options
I had my annual physical last week. They did a routine blood draw. My doc called to say I have "low thyroid function." I have to go in on Monday to get all the details and figure out where I'm going from here.

I've been online all day reading, and on the phone talking to family. There is no hypothyroidism that we know of in my family. I'm not overweight. But I am TIRED! WAY tired!! I just figured that was because I don't sleep well, and I chase after 6 kids all day! Part of me is very happy there is a reason I can do nothing more than my P90X workout each day (you should see my house!! -- actually, I'm glad you can't!!) Another part of me is sick that it looks like I'll be on meds forever! I'm only 36!

Anyone out there with this? Are there side effects to the meds? Are there other things that might cause the thyroid numbers to be off? Any natural remedies that really work??

Replies

• fitmom2six
    Options
    I had my annual physical last week. They did a routine blood draw. My doc called to say I have "low thyroid function." I have to go in on Monday to get all the details and figure out where I'm going from here.

I've been online all day reading, and on the phone talking to family. There is no hypothyroidism that we know of in my family. I'm not overweight. But I am TIRED! WAY tired!! I just figured that was because I don't sleep well, and I chase after 6 kids all day! Part of me is very happy there is a reason I can do nothing more than my P90X workout each day (you should see my house!! -- actually, I'm glad you can't!!) Another part of me is sick that it looks like I'll be on meds forever! I'm only 36!

Anyone out there with this? Are there side effects to the meds? Are there other things that might cause the thyroid numbers to be off? Any natural remedies that really work??
  • AdreaDawn
    Options
    levothyroxine or "Synthroid" will probably be prescribed. It will help give you energy and LOSE WEIGHT! It also will make your hair fuller and healthier. One of the side effects of hypothyroidism is a decreased metabolism, and so by taking the meds you increase your metabolism. But BE SURE NOT to take more than prescribed because too much can be bad too. As far as natural remidies go, I have not heard of any. Unfortunatly most people do have to take the medication for the rest of their life. I know it isn't fun, and it can be hard to comply with, but it really is important for your health.
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Side effects of Levothyroxine:

More energy.
    Weight loss.

:laugh:

It's just a tiny little pill you take every morning. You'll get used to taking it. It's no big deal really. And it's super cheap if you don't have insurance and have to pay out of pocket. Long term severe calorie restriction has been linked to the development of hypothyroidism, so it is very common in those who suffer from eating disorders. But it happens in healthy people a lot as well.

If you forget to take it, you'll get really tired again...but thats the only bad thing I can think of.

You'll feel better in like two months or so. Tons of energy to keep up with the kids! :smile: :heart:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am sure you associated your tiredness to the fact that you are a mom to 6:noway: And being a P90Xer myself, I understand the energy you use. However, working out is supposed to give you mor energy. Glad you went to the dr. Yes, meds are for life, I have a friend with the same thing, she was diagnosed when she was 12. Hasn't stopped her, she works out, works, plays, etc. She needs to get regular blood tests, sometimes meds need to be adjusted by otherwise, no problems. HTH and good luck.

PS: Don't worry, it is common
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    Approximately 50% of women over 25 have decreased thyroid function with no knowledge of it. There are numerous causes - something wrong with your pituitary gland, low iodine (gives you the symptoms while the thryoid hormones are within range), and even more severe conditions.

The doctor may prescribe medicine for the t4 hormone or both the t4 and t3 hormones. If it is hard for you to wake up in the mornings, you may find it is better for you to take the t4 pill at night instead of first thing in the morning. My endocrinologist said it didn't matter as long as it was on an empty stomach and you didnt' eat for an hour after taking it.

Don't count on losing weight. It will give you more energy and by doing so, you'll find you have the energy to be more active, thus possibly losing a couple pounds... but you won't see a miraculous drop in weight. Some people have that misconception. I know that's what I thought would happen when I started my thyroid hormone therapy.

It may take a while to get the dosage right. If you are still feeling the slightest bit tired, tell your doctor. The dosage should continue to be tweaked until you feel at 100% again.

Good luck - and while it is a pain in the butt to take a pill for the rest of your life - having the energy to enjoy your children is much more important :-)
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    levothyroxine or "Synthroid" will probably be prescribed. It will help give you energy and LOSE WEIGHT! It also will make your hair fuller and healthier. One of the side effects of hypothyroidism is a decreased metabolism, and so by taking the meds you increase your metabolism. But BE SURE NOT to take more than prescribed because too much can be bad too. As far as natural remidies go, I have not heard of any. Unfortunatly most people do have to take the medication for the rest of their life. I know it isn't fun, and it can be hard to comply with, but it really is important for your health.

Yup, that's what I've been taking for years and years, and I never noticed any side effects. I'm not thrilled to have to take them for the rest of my life, but, it's really no biggy to pop one little pill every morning.
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well, I don't have it now, but I was threatened with the medications from my doc about 5 years ago. My mom has hypothyroidism and my maternal grandmother has had her goiter removed, so I know a little on the topic. Now, when my levels were out of the normal range I found a natural supplement to take. Kelp(seaweed), and it's easily found at health stores or online. I took it for 3 months and had my TSH, t3 and t4 uptake re-tested and I was fine. I do remember smelling kinda funny, though. lol It was worth it though! I was recently at the doc's for my annual check-up and everything is normal still.

Probably why you feel so tired, and it can cause weight gain. Be sure to get your t3 and t4 uptake checked, if it wasn't already, before you start any meds or supplements.Your thyroid does affect your WHOLE body, so it's very important to keep it healthy.

And remember, what works for some, may not work for all. :flowerforyou:

EDIT: I ONLY took it for 3 months, TOTAL....It's not meant for long-term use. But, if my levels are out-of range again, i will try it once more!
  • Nana27
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and take a little pink pill every morning (but since I take a load of other stuff, it hardly gets a blip on my radar, lol). Hypothyroidism can cause a LOT of other problems besides weight gain and tiredness. If it gets bad enough it can cause confusion, stress, etc. Mine was so bad I thought I was losing my mind until they got my meds straightened out. So hang in there and don't overly worry about it, after all it is just a little pill. (lol)

Linda
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed when I was 11-years-old. Ditto everyone who says it's not that big of a deal to take a pill and you will feel sooooooo much better once your thyroid levels are where they should be.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo as well and within a couple of weeks after starting to take Synthroid I started feeling soooo much better. I had been so tired that I didn't think I would be able to work anymore. Just a little pill every morning adn I'm good to go. The only side effect for me was feeling better. That a good one to have
  • SWEETANDSALTY
    Options
    Hi there,
    I've taken these pills for years. I've taken these pills with food in the morning, but now they say you should take the pill on an empty stomach. However, my Doctor said since I've been doing this for so long just to continue as I have been. However, ask your doctor about taking a calcium supplement. It is my understanding that long term use of these pills affect your bones. Other than that don't worry about it too much. Just make sure you are eating health and keep up your calcium intake.
  • ShanIsRad
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 17 (I'm 20 now), and have been taking Synthroid since then. It has helped me a lot, before I went on it, I was at my highest weight ever, which is about 15-20lbs heavier than I am now. After I went on it, I lost that weight by that December (I started taking the pill that September), helped greatly by dancing in a school play and having cheerleading practice and dance classes several times a week. So you do lose some weight, but you have to exercise, of course.

The only thing that I sometimes do is forget to take it, this happens usually on weekends when my parents make breakfast and I have to get up at like 8 to eat, so unless I wake up early and take the pill at 7, which I never do, I end up not taking it that day.

But taking it has become a part of my routine, I take it when I first wake up that way by the time I'm ready for school or work, I can eat when I get there, or before I leave.

Oh, and I take it on an empty stomach. I learned the hard way when I was younger that taking something after/right before you eat that you're supposed to take on an empty stomach is not the best thing for me.
  • fitmom2six
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You have made me feel better! I don't plan/expect to lose a lot of weight -- in reality, I don't have a lot to lose! (But if it wanted to selectively leave my tummy and thighs, that would be fine! :laugh: ) Part of me knows it's no big deal. It's just unexpected. I guess I should be super happy that there is reason I'd like to sleep 18 hours a day!! :laugh:

I'll have to come back and let you all know when I'm feeling great and have more energy than I ever imagined! :wink:

I know working out is supose to give you more energy.... so, if I hadn't been working out regularly, does that mean I would have been a blob on the floor? :ohwell:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You have made me feel better! I don't plan/expect to lose a lot of weight -- in reality, I don't have a lot to lose! (But if it wanted to selectively leave my tummy and thighs, that would be fine! :laugh: ) Part of me knows it's no big deal. It's just unexpected. I guess I should be super happy that there is reason I'd like to sleep 18 hours a day!! :laugh:

I'll have to come back and let you all know when I'm feeling great and have more energy than I ever imagined! :wink:

I know working out is supose to give you more energy.... so, if I hadn't been working out regularly, does that mean I would have been a blob on the floor? :ohwell:

yes. LOL when I forget to take my pill like twice in a week...I can easily just lay in bed all day for days until my levels get back up.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I just made an appt with my doctor after reading all this. For months I have been meaning to, but I hate going to the doc so I have put it off. My father's mom had thyroid problems and from the stuff I have read I seem to have many of the symptoms. I can't get in until October 1st but at least I made the appt!!!
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism and take a little pink pill every morning (but since I take a load of other stuff, it hardly gets a blip on my radar, lol). Hypothyroidism can cause a LOT of other problems besides weight gain and tiredness. If it gets bad enough it can cause confusion, stress, etc. Mine was so bad I thought I was losing my mind until they got my meds straightened out. So hang in there and don't overly worry about it, after all it is just a little pill. (lol)

Linda

I thought I was going crazy too--I heard more voices than normal, in my head. I always say that if I could type as fast as I can think, I would have given Stephen King a run for his money--
  • stacystar
    Options
    I went in for my regular 6 month retest for my levels in july and they were way off--after a little talking with the doc, we discovered that I had been taking my perscription just as perscribed--but somehow that information got lost in tranlastion. I had been on a dose of 0.175 and they upped me to 0.200 anyhow the lost in translation part is that I was taking both (that's right 2 pills .175 & .200) for about a year. Let's just say that the effects of an overdose took a while to show up (started dropping pounds like mad at first--then a total stand still & pounds piled on despite every effort I was making.) I had tons of energy--in fact I could not sleep at all most nights. So please please please Everyone question anyone you talk to about a change in levels (which I did when the new doses were given--the par & the nurse, both said yep this is right) I was heading towards big problems had it not been caught. (I really hope my case is rare and that you don't have anything to worry about)
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I went in for my regular 6 month retest for my levels in july and they were way off--after a little talking with the doc, we discovered that I had been taking my perscription just as perscribed--but somehow that information got lost in tranlastion. I had been on a dose of 0.175 and they upped me to 0.200 anyhow the lost in translation part is that I was taking both (that's right 2 pills .175 & .200) for about a year. Let's just say that the effects of an overdose took a while to show up (started dropping pounds like mad at first--then a total stand still & pounds piled on despite every effort I was making.) I had tons of energy--in fact I could not sleep at all most nights. So please please please Everyone question anyone you talk to about a change in levels (which I did when the new doses were given--the par & the nurse, both said yep this is right) I was heading towards big problems had it not been caught. (I really hope my case is rare and that you don't have anything to worry about)

damn...thats a really high dose, isn't it? I only take 50 mcg...I believe the .175 is 175 mcg, right?
  • stacystar
    Options

damn...thats a really high dose, isn't it? I only take 50 mcg...I believe the .175 is 175 mcg, right?

yep that is correct--I'm back to just taking that now. My levels tend to be all over the place and they are constently messing with my doses. It's rather frustrating. I can never do anything simple--when I was finally labled hypothroid, my numbers were way way high (like in the 300's--not sure which numbers those were because I was too tired to remember at the time--I had blackouts, lost my hearing, thought I was crazy, and a number of other things too)
  • fitmom2six
    Options
    Here's another question for all you pros out there! Sore throat... is it a sign/symptom too? I just put this together today, and will ask the doc on Monday, but see if this makes any sense (or if I'm being a hypochondriac now!!!)

In about May, I got a really bad sore throat. It felt like I had huge sores in my throat. It felt swollen, and felt like sandpaper. When I drank anything, it was like my throat was dry and stuck together. My kids had strep throat at the time, so I figured I had it too, but hate going to the doc, so I didn't.

Fast forward to now... tonight, sitting here telling a friend about my new "hypo" discovery and having a sore throat, it hit me. I have had the same sort of sore throat just about once a month since around May. It's never been quite as bad as the May one, but the same sort of feeling. It's also always more sore on the left than the right. It's also a few days before my female cycle.

So, here's the question.... can the hormones of our cycles mess with the thyroid enough to make it enlarge and hurt? Are these 2 things related? I didn't even think about it until today. "Maybe it's a tumor!" (For those of you movie buffs... name that movie!) :wink: