Too fat for medical insurance!

Options
So my husband just returned from Iraq in July of 09' after being in the military for 7 years. We had medical insurance(through the miliatry) that stopped in Decemebr and he was just able to get a full time job in December as well. His insurance dosen't start for another 4 months so we were looking into some plans that we can buy for the time being(asecially because my hubby is in need of urgent dental care)....I've been calling this moring to get quotes to find what would be best for us and everyhwere I called I found out I can't have insurance because I'm too over weight ....I'd have to loose 27 lbs just to even QUALIFY! Then when i qualify I'd still have to pay an arm and a leg because of my weight! I honestly didn't realize that you weight determins these kinds of things. I did not know that you could get denied medical coverage because of your weight. Also why is it that anorexia is a legit eating disorder but over eating isn't? Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• chrish1981
    Options
    I've heard of life insurance denying people but never medical insurance.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Wow that's ridiculous! Have you tried getting insurance through the state?
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I tried to get life insurance/disabiltiy for my house and they denied me because I take antidepressants, and because I had an abnormal pap 6 mos earlier. I was so mad!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    They know they will spend more money on overweight people as it leads to long-term health issues. Stinks, but it is the truth.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    They probably consider obesity a "pre-existing condition." My guess is that they'd deny you if you had anorexia as well. Eventually, with Obama's health care plan, insurance companies won't be able to penalize anyone this way =)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is something unusual! I'm sorry you are having so much trouble finding insurance. Have you tried a state plan, usually every state has a plan that goes by income level. I really don't know what else to say except good luck! Obviously your working on losing weight or you wouldn't be here and that is a good thing but in the mean time you need insurance! That really sucks! Maybe someone else will have a better answer for you, what state do you live in? Here in Oregon they have the "Health Plan Of Oregon". You can make a decent amount of money each month and still qualify. I wish you the best on your search, keep trying! Take care.

Denise
  • StephMH
    Options
    That is so infuriating. Our medical care system is so screwed up, it's ridiculous. I would be curious to know if anorexia would be grounds for a similar denial. You are making the effort to get healthy and the insurance companies don't give a you-know-what about your actual health, just their bottom line.

I am furious for you.

Some thank you to our soldiers and their families, huh? Many thanks to your husband for serving his country in Iraq, and thanks to you for allowing him to do do.
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    For now our children have medical through the state untill my hubby's plan starts.....but he make too much for us to recive it as well......
  • barberella
    Options
    Exactly! I was waiting for someone to say that!
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    That is so infuriating. Our medical care system is so screwed up, it's ridiculous. I would be curious to know if anorexia would be grounds for a similar denial. You are making the effort to get healthy and the insurance companies don't give a you-know-what about your actual health, just their bottom line.

I am furious for you.

Some thank you to our soldiers and their families, huh? Many thanks to your husband for serving his country in Iraq, and thanks to you for allowing him to do do.

Thank you so much! That means alot!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't realize that you weight determins these kinds of things. I did not know that you could get denied medical coverage because of your weight.

Insurance adjusters/bean counters use weight to determine many factors when quoting or denying policies. Being overweight or obese leads to increased risks in regards to diabetes, heart disease, stroke, some cancers, lung disease just to name a few. Insurance companies look at that and consider you to lead an unhealthy lifestyle, and they then provide coverage at higher costs to mitigate the risk or they out-right deny coverage altogether.

Try different companies. Each one has their own risk calculators and baseline for accept/deny of coverage.
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options

I am furious for you.

She's not being denied by the military. I used to have tricare (military insurance) and it was AMAZING! So I feel your pain, it was horrible to switch. Good luck :( sorry that's happening to you.
  • Sandiweber03
    Options

I am furious for you.

She's not being denied by the military. I used to have tricare (military insurance) and it was AMAZING! So I feel your pain, it was horrible to switch. Good luck :( sorry that's happening to you.

Thanks. I don't think she was talking about the military but just health care in general
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how it can infuriate you that a health insurance company would refuse to ensure someone who is a statistical risk or would charge them a higher premium? That's the way insurance works. There is a pool of money that is created in two ways: 1. from the premiums that the participants pay and 2: from investing those premiums. If claims exceed the pool of money then the company goes bankrupt and everyone loses. For this reason, insurance companies determine who can participate and how much they will charge based on statistical data. If you are overweight/obese there is a strong statistical probability that you will cost the company more than it will be able to collect. So either, you get denied coverage or you pay a higher premium to represent a higher risk. The alternative would be for lower risk participants to pay the higher premiums to fund the higher risk member and in a competitive environment, they would simply go to another company that would charge lower premiums.

If you think about it this is the real risk right now in our country. The governement has decided that everyone has to be insured. Well, were is the money going to come from to pay for all the claims when you consider that more than half the population in the country is overweight/obese and that related diseases continue to increase? There is only one possibility right now and that is through increased taxes. Someone has to pay for health services, they don't come free. Even in countries with socialized medicine, the taxes to support those programs are sometimes up to 70%-80% of people's incomes.

That, in my opinion, is why you see so many people on this site trying to get their health, and consequently their weight, under control. You'd better get healthy, because very few of us can afford getting sick.
  • Sandiweber03
    Options
    I don't understand how it can infuriate you that a health insurance company would refuse to ensure someone who is a statistical risk or would charge them a higher premium? That's the way insurance works. There is a pool of money that is created in two ways: 1. from the premiums that the participants pay and 2: from investing those premiums. If claims exceed the pool of money then the company goes bankrupt and everyone loses. For this reason, insurance companies determine who can participate and how much they will charge based on statistical data. If you are overweight/obese there is a strong statistical probability that you will cost the company more than it will be able to collect. So either, you get denied coverage or you pay a higher premium to represent a higher risk. The alternative would be for lower risk participants to pay the higher premiums to fund the higher risk member and in a competitive environment, they would simply go to another company that would charge lower premiums.

If you think about it this is the real risk right now in our country. The governement has decided that everyone has to be insured. Well, were is the money going to come from to pay for all the claims when you consider that more than half the population in the country is overweight/obese and that related diseases continue to increase? There is only one possibility right now and that is through increased taxes. Someone has to pay for health services, they don't come free. Even in countries with socialized medicine, the taxes to support those programs are sometimes up to 70%-80% of people's incomes.

That, in my opinion, is why you see so many people on this site trying to get their health, and consequently their weight, under control. You'd better get healthy, because very few of us can afford getting sick.

I agree somewhat but at the same time I'm looseing weight AND I'M A TAXPAYER ALSO so to get denied just so I can get an antibiotic if needed is crazie too me. Just because I'm overweight dosen't mean I don't pay my taxes just like everyone else. As long as I'm able to pay for it at the end of the month it shouldn't be a problem.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I kept my COBRA benefits while I got them at the reduced rates, but then the monthly premium went up to $604 a month when my prior employer changed coverage plans. Gee, my income was $1200 a month, my half of the mortgage/bills was $900..... guess what had to give? I tried to get medical coverage and was also denied because of my BMI. I looked into the program offered by the state and that was still $560 a month. Now that my income is unstable (part time work) and nothing else available, I am depending on my boyfriend to cover the mortgage and bills and I contribute what I can when I can. We just hope that I don't get sick.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was turned down for Short Term Disability last year! Because even though I've had perfect attendance for the last 5 years, and have weighed less every year for the last 5 years. They still consider me high risk to lose time at work due to being over weight!
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Oh boy it is so hard to go from Tricare, what is AWESOMe, to regular insurances... it really sucks... it was when I started to regret my husband decision to leave. Oh well...
    Have you try to talk to the dentist place and see what they can do for people without insurances, or have you try the local University? I live in KC area and UMKC offer some dental thru their orthodontics school.
    My husband left Marines 10 years ago my he is now laid off and we dont have insuranc as well...
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I was rejected for health insurance from Blue Cross/Blue Shield once for being overweight. I said that I weighed 210 lbs. At the time I was closer to 220. The agent told me that I had to wait 6 months and lose 10 lbs to be eligible.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for more information. They tried to do something similar to my dad and then he requested a phsyical examination. They did a complete physical and found out he was in better health than, no joke, 85% of their clients. They stereotype too much. Yes, my dad weighs over 300 pounds, but he has no cholesterol/blood pressure issues and his resting heart rate is 62bpm! They gave him such a HUGE discount because he's so healthy!! It might be worth calling and asking... but yea, the cost if you're overweight is rough. Are you able to just get your husband some dental insurance and then wait off on your own until he qualifies?