Is 2 tablespoons of Peanut butter a day OK?

Options
and what can I have with it?

I used to eat a banana with my PB, but they seem to be pretty high in calories.

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    rice cake just for the crunch??? Kind of boring but not bad with the PB.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    LOVE PB!
    I eat it with an apple, or put it on one slice of whole wheat bread with honey, sometimes if I really want a good snack I will put it on a few chocolate graham crackers, but that is only occasionally!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    an apple (my daily snack); celery; whole grain toast; dark chocolate chips. I love peanut butter and have 2 T everyday (plus 1 T almond butter)!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Celery sticks. Fill the groove with peanut butter.
    Also yummy ... celery sticks stuffed with laughing cow.
  • danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wasa 7 Grain crackers...3 crackers for 60 calories...delicious
  • nickiejohnson
    Options
    I eat mine in the morning w/ an Arnold's Select 100% whole wheat roll. Its perfect sandwhich bread, low in calories, good for you, keeps me full till lunch and you can find it anywhere! :)
  • RaeBella13
    Options
    Also yummy ... celery sticks stuffed with laughing cow.

or cream cheese!! YUM!
  • 5mule
    5mule Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eat the natural kind. Jif, Peter Pan, and others have trans fats that help stabilize the peanut butter. The manufacturers aren't required to tell you about the trans fats if there is less than 0.5 grams per serving. But it's in there. And it will cause health problems over time! Natural peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts and salt) is heart-healthy and nutritious. I eat mine with reduced fat triscuits or 100% whole wheat bread or celery sticks or carrot sticks. And bananas are great option too!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I LOVE natural peanut butter on toast so buy the weight watchers whole wheat, or Dempsters has a version that is the same calories, only about 90 for 2 slices!
    My husband eats his PB right off the spoon!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    LOVE W/ BANANAS ON ON WHOLE WHEAT TORTILLA
    CELERY
    APPLES
    AND I DO JUST EAT IT OFF THE SPOON.

JUST AS LONG AS THE CALORIES ARE IN UR DAILY RANGE ..I DONT C WHY NOT
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat it, or almond butter just to mix it up. I put it on toast on the mornings that I know I'll be working out more/harder than usual.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Any other suggestions?

Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread is nice. 50 calories, 1g fat, 4g protein. 1g sugar, 2g fiber - in ONE SLICE. 115mg sodium (I guess this is so-so).
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Any other suggestions?

You think bananas are high in calories?? Most bananas are around 80-130 calories, which is far less than the peanut butter you're putting on it! Don't be afraid of "high calorie" foods that are natural - you just have to watch your portion sizes. 2 Tbsp of peanut butter plus a banana would be around 300 calories. It would make a good breakfast or perhaps a large post/pre workout snack. As long as you plan it into your day, it's not unreasonable at all.

I also eat peanut butter on light rye wasa crackers, bread, in smoothies, with apples, celery, etc.

I agree with the posters who said to buy natural PB - just be careful! Don't just pick up any jar that says natural (the use of the term "natural" is not regulated)... read the label. Ideally you should be buying one that has ONE ingredient: peanuts! There's no reason to buy one with added salt, sugar, oils, etc. It does take a little getting used to, it's not as sweet, but it's healthier for you and still full of peanut-buttery goodness.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Yep. I love it with celery.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You think bananas are high in calories?? Most bananas are around 80-130 calories, which is far less than the peanut butter you're putting on it! Don't be afraid of "high calorie" foods that are natural - you just have to watch your portion sizes. 2 Tbsp of peanut butter plus a banana would be around 300 calories. It would make a good breakfast or perhaps a large post/pre workout snack. As long as you plan it into your day, it's not unreasonable at all.

I also eat peanut butter on light rye wasa crackers, bread, in smoothies, with apples, celery, etc.

I agree with the posters who said to buy natural PB - just be careful! Don't just pick up any jar that says natural (the use of the term "natural" is not regulated)... read the label. Ideally you should be buying one that has ONE ingredient: peanuts! There's no reason to buy one with added salt, sugar, oils, etc. It does take a little getting used to, it's not as sweet, but it's healthier for you and still full of peanut-buttery goodness.
    Agreed..Look at the benefits you are getting from Banana and Natural Peanut Butter. This is one healthy snack..and as someone said if you are within your calories Goals..then why not
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I switched to natural peanut butter a few weeks ago. Let me tell you, it took some adjusting because of the lack of sugar but now I love it. I eat it on a piece of whole grain bread for a snack or add a Tb to my shakeology shake. Sometimes I add a banana too for a delicious meal!! There is nothing wrong with eating peanut butter, just be sure to watch your fat intake!
  • heatherfrancis
    Options
    I put Jif natural PB and splenda in my oatmeal every single day. I absolutley love it and cant go a day with out it, its good for any meal of the day and keeps my feeling full.
  • Iris0022
    Options
    I am not a big fan of raw celery so years ago I started eating baby carrots with peanut butter. The combination of sweet, salty, and crunchy makes for a great snack.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like to put it on a Van's lite waffle for breakfast.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    1 tbsb on a slice of pb&j usually..unless i have toast..then its 2 tbsp