Wheat Intolerance

Options
Hi, does anyone else have a wheat/gluten intolerance? Did it make you put on weight? Have you got any special tips/recipes? Are you also struggling with a what-free lifestyle? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• twest78
    twest78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a mild wheat allergy and gluten intolerance, and I think it has contributed to weight gain to a point. When I cut wheat products out of my diet, I do lose weight a lot faster and feel much better overall. A South Beach type diet is what worked best for me when I was able to stick to it.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hiya had this for a long time!

What is it you're struggling with? Jacket potatoes are always a good meal - rice cakes with topping are cool for lunch, as are various salads, depends what you're into. Just be careful not to mix things which could have wheat and/or gluten with what you're cooking. Also rice noodles are a great alternative to pasta :)
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I am not intoleranent to wheat however, I am thinkin about eatin gluton free. When you eat gluton and wheat it tends to bloat the stomach. It's alot healthier not eatin it. So it could be a good thing for you in the long run. My friend who is on facebook has that stomach disorder, she always posts delicious lookin gluten free foods. She is a beach body coach. If you have a facebook pm me and I will give you her name so you can add her and she can give you delicious recipes.
    I use to be allergic to milk and ice cream for about 2 years when I was at my heaviest and until I lost it all off. Which, I believe also helped in a way to lose my weight. I also had suffered from acid reflux which all hit me around the same time which was bout 3 months before I began my weightloss journey.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have celiac so I've been gluten-free for almost 5 years now. I was already overweight but I didn gain some more when I went gluten-free at first. They (doctors) say it's common because once the irritation is out of your system your body is absorbing all the food your eating and you can gain weight at first. The other thing to watch is that gluten-free flour and pasta can have a higher carb count per serving which can affect your weight too. There are lots of great blogs and books about living and cooking gluten-free but my favorites are "The Gluten-free Bible" and www.glutenfreegirl.com for a book and a website. Also, remember you can't go wrong with fresh veggies, fruit, meat without coatings and cheese, and rice. I personally don't like most rice pasta b/c it just tastes like rice but I do like BiAglut and Schar for pastas....they actually taste like regular pasta. Depending on where you live you hopefully have a good selection either in the grocery store or a health food store. There are some totally gluten-free bakeries around too, I'm in Pittsburgh and we have a decent selection of things. Good Luck, following the wheat-free, gluten-free diet is the best thing for you if you have an intolerance. You will fee so much better!
  • x3mommy
    x3mommy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am not wheat intolerant, but my son was diagnosed with Celiac about 4 years ago now... we have had our main (supper) meal Gluten Free since then. I lost weight initially when I switched over. I love the Gluten Free Diet and have learned to embrace it as a lifestyle for our family out of necessity. I do better when I stick to Gluten Free myself, always feel yucky when I over indulge in white carbs. Feel free to send a message with any specific questions. I would be happy to help you out!
  • SweetOrganics
    SweetOrganics Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Both my daughter & I have gluten intolerance & I've pretty much found substitutions for everything we were already eating, so it hasn't been all that hard for us. The trick is knowing where hidden gluten is in things like soups, chocolate etc. But as long as you do most of your cooking at home, you'll be fine.