Orlistat

Options
Hi has anyone taken Orlistat or anything similar? I have been given a prescription for them but i'm a bit scared to start taking them as I wasn't given much advice just wondered if anyone knows how much saturated fat I can have when taking them? Have heard that if you have too much fat you can have an accident and really don't want that to happen! lol. Over the last few days I have had between 9 and 14 saturated fat is it ok to start taking them at that doesn't anyone know?
Please help! :-)

Replies

• snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I tried Orlistat a couple of years ago and like you I wasn't given any information other than the leaflet inside the pack. The only advice I can give you is 'never trust a fart' LOL
  • summerlopresti
    Options
    Oh yes, You will be full of greasy diarrhea. lol. It does help you loose weight though. I tried it about 5-6 yrs ago but didnt follow through cause I was in school and it was just too high maintenance to have to worry about poopin yourself. lol. Good luck, Id at least give it a try. Just eat whatever you were eating minus the pizza and tacos. And if you do eat that just stay home!
  • sarahlouisah
    Options
    they work but you leak bright orange grease from you bum when you gotta go and you can not wait at all you have to go then. I work in a school and can not use them for this reason but if you wear dark clothes and can get to the loo quick i would recomend them as they really work i lost over a stone in a month on the prescription ones stronger than over the counter version
  • summerlopresti
    Options
    HAHA your so cute. Can u be more specific about a "stone"??? Us Americans need some explaining. What is that in pounds?
  • snockers3112
    snockers3112 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A stone in the UK is equivalent to 14lbs - I find it hard to just talk in pounds and still work it out into stones and pounds in my head. For example, so far I have lost 8lbs in weight which to me is just over half a stone :)
  • mmarkivee
    Options
    I used MyAlli awhile back (Orlistat is the main ingredient). It really did help considering you need to be very careful what you eat in order to avoid the oily stool "accidents." It helps you count calories and fat grams. If you use it correctly, it can really help you lose weight - in essence, it prevents approximately 30% of dietary fat from being absorbed! Also, if you've been careful the past couple days, your body is already adjusted and ready for you to introduce Orlistat. Good luck! :D
  • StephanieConnelly
    Options
    Thanks I decided to try it and started it yesterday i'm getting desperate enough to try anything now! Hopefully it will work I still don't know how much fat I should have while taking it but i'm being really careful don't want to have any accidents lol. :-)
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have taken it in the past, lost a good amount of weight and I'm taking it now, have been for 7 weeks so far. I have lost 29 pounds. When I took it in the past whenever I ate fat an orange greasy waste would come out but now I am finding that is not happening, not sure why but I take them everyday. They really do work and they allow me to eat alot of the foods I want even with a good amount of fat. So far I haven't had any accidents at all but if you think you have to go to bathroom, don't wait, go right away or you could have an accident and that is no fun!. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Denise
  • StephanieConnelly
    Options
    Thanks yeah that helps can't believe you've lost 29lbs in 7 weeks hope it works as well for me! Thanks :-)
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Just started on it as well, is strange, so far it's been 3 days and as of yet I haven't had any side effects other than feeling a little "unstable" the first day. Even went over the recommended 'fat per meal' limit once (was expecting something explosive but nada), so far as I said it's been 3 days but lost 4lbs in those 3 days. That may just be me 'behaving' though so we'll see how it goes.
  • triannataylor
    Options
    I tried Orlistat a couple of years ago and like you I wasn't given any information other than the leaflet inside the pack. The only advice I can give you is 'never trust a fart' LOL
    Exactly what I was going to say!!!
    It really works but if you don't stick with it the side effects are TERRIBLE.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Hi has anyone taken Orlistat or anything similar? I have been given a prescription for them but i'm a bit scared to start taking them as I wasn't given much advice just wondered if anyone knows how much saturated fat I can have when taking them? Have heard that if you have too much fat you can have an accident and really don't want that to happen! lol. Over the last few days I have had between 9 and 14 saturated fat is it ok to start taking them at that doesn't anyone know?
    Please help! :-)

I never want anal leakage. Ever. Not even if I'm thin. lol....I would cleanse yourself out before taking the pills. Seriously. You don't want an accident. Ew.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options

This made me laugh and then snort. :laugh:

Never trust a fart. lolllll
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Well just to update everyone.

Apart from the 'slightly unstable' feeling (that may just be in my head) I've not had any of the side effects advertised and so far in less than a week I've lost 9lbs. Obviously I'm looking after what I'm eating, but not doing as much exercise as I'd like to but definitely moving in the right direction... I do expect things to slow down once everything is adjusted though :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had them years ago aswell, I *kitten* myself so many times on them that I was ruining my clothes. Horrible drug. Great deterrent though.
  • daffysbird
    Options
    I, like a lot of people I believe, was really unsure about taking them. I got a prescription for Orlistat last November but was not brave enough ( I didn't feel I had enough Information because I had only the leaflet in the box and the doctor told me I had to lose 5% in my body weight in the first three months to remain on this) to try them until February of this year. I will admit I was spurned on by the fact that I am getting married in March next year and want to lose some more weight prior to that.

I have a heart condition and find it difficult to lose weight especially considering I have a large number of good days and bad days and on bad days I can't even get out of bed on my own. So exercise is had. I have only taken Orlistat sporadically since I started because I was so afraid of the side effects and the whilst I suffered the same side effects as everyone else initially. I now do not seem to suffer as much, I do not know if this is because I am understanding the my diet better and therefore watching my fat intake or because I drink a lot of squash or water in a day and therefore "flush out my system."

Either way despite my initial reservation, I would recommend it despite all my medical problems I am sure it has helped me lost the 18lb that I have already lost. (I think I have lost more but I gave up the scales for lent and I do not weigh till Saturday!)
    Out of the 8 weeks I have taken Orilstat I have actually probably only taken them for 4 weeks due to ill health.

I think everyone is different! But Good Luck

Sorry my post ended up being longer than I thought it was going to be but I intend to waffle a bit to make sure I get my point across.