Why is it so hard to lose weight? -Excellent article

Options
http://www.alternet.org/story/149628/why_is_it_so_hard_to_lose_weight/?page=1

Worth a read. It can be done...but here's why it's so hard.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Our american diet has definitely made it hard for overweight people to succeed----that is why I took charge!!!! Now I am in control!!!
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    bump to remind myself to read this when I get home from work
  • JodyDawkins
    Options
    Why is it so hard to lose weight? Food. Plain and simple. I really believe it all starts with food.
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    thanks for posting this!
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    Bump
  • JeanK56
    Options
    Thanks, emailed to myself so I can sit and read it later.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Bumping for others to read and to reply more when I have more time. I agree with much of what I read from skimming the article... though I unfortunately know people who blame the poor for being poor... and likewise blame the fat for being fat. :(
  • leslieaht
    Options
    Very enlightening - thanks for posting the link.
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info...going to read it for sure.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Informative article for anyone interested in food manufacturing and marketing, nutrition,and what you are really putting in your body.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elizabethl27
    elizabethl27 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    excellent and true!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Our american diet has definitely made it hard for overweight people to succeed----that is why I took charge!!!! Now I am in control!!!

Yes! I took control of me & my children.

I just saw a news telecast on a small country. Its an island in the pacific. They were the fittest country in the world. Now they are officially the unhealthiest. The reason? Western food was introduce. They were a country that survived on the farming of their land and farm animals. Now they eat french fries and can spam. The country's markets no longer carries fresh veggies & fruits. It has all process food. The pictures were astonishing from the past to the present.

I do take my share of the blame for myself. I know what I did to get the way I am, I wasn't always overweight. But I think that there should be regulation place on the food industry for our children's sake. We live in a microwave, fast food...everything is rush rush society. Its not about to slow down so there has to be something done to help control it.
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    this is an awesome read!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    FANTASTIC article!!!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    But...it isn't more expensive to eat healthy - I don't care what anyone says and I use to say this. My grocery store spending hasn't changed. The money spent on fast food and junk food is now going to healthier foods. And fast food isn't all that cheap anymore - unless you get small items in - hmmm, can we say normal portions. (i.e. small fry, 4-piece chicken nugget).

I still think the only person I can blame for packing on 20 pounds in under a year is me. The only person I can blame for the kinds of foods that I have eaten my whole life is me. And the only person who will change that is once again...me.

I do believe all of what the article talks about is true. The government, the FDA, the food companies are all in it together. And a lot of info stays far away from the public's ears and eyes.

But when you have gotten to more than 100 pounds overweight you just can't put all of the blame on the government or McDonalds, or anyone else for that matter.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. This is just my opinion. I have never been way overweight because I never let myself get there. If I saw the scale pushing 140 then I knew I had to make some changes. I'm here because I didn't know how to eat healthy and all the crappy food was taking a toll on my body and I don't want to end up diabetic like my dad and brother.

I do think that nutrition education has to start with the children. As adults we know what all this food does to us. Children don't understand that part. They just know what tastes good to them.

(I'm terrible with words).
  • meadows654
    Options
    BUMP - So I can read this at home... I was firewalled!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing hpSnickers, just because eating healthier is cheaper for you, doesn't mean it is for everyone. Food deserts, lack of proper kitchen appliances, lack of time, etc. can make it very very difficult and expensive to eat well. And the fact that our government subsidizes corn and not carrots (for example) makes fast food and soda very cheap. Combine that with sophisticated marketing tactics from dozens of companies and voila, we have an obesity problem in our country. It's very complex and of course personal responsibility plays a role...but it's much more complex than that.
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    This article takes some of the basics from "King of Corn" and "Super Size Me," as well as some basic public health class issues and rolls it into one Unfortunately, it fails to address the main problem (as they all do): that what we call "food" in the US is not actually fit for consumption. We should NOT be eating the majority of the things that most people put in their mouths (over-chemicalized, processed crap).

Many people blame genetics for their obesity (still), but the fact is that if this stuff was around 65 million years ago, we would have had the same problems. It is not food. I don't care how you package it, what cute little mascots taut it, or what people say it is, it is not food. This was my biggest issue with my public health degree. There is so much debate over regulating and taxing and making policies about certain things (like whether or not to reduce or end corn susidizing) that we lose sight of the real, fundamental issue.

I have a hard time with putting policies on things, but it seems like we have to do something. I wouldn't mind a "fat tax" at restaurants, for example, or an extra tax on sodas (and I drink them). However, I am from the South, was poor all of my life, and had a terrible childhood. I decided to make a change. I decided that I didn't want to continue to live my life that way as the rest of the people I knew continue to live their lives today. I still think there is an issue of personal responsibility that needs to take precedence. If I can lose 100 pounds in the South, in the ghetto, while going to school full-time and working 65 hours a week, well...I don't like people's excuses for "why they can't" do things.

As far as "food deserts" and things being cheaper go, many of these studies are way off-base. Some of them count it as a "food desert" if there's not a grocery store within a mile. Seriously. One mile. Many are 3-5 miles, but there is no consistency in the studies. Some lower the ratings if there is a convenience store closer to your home than a grocery store. Even if the grocery store is only another few blocks away (which is the case at my house). Saying that eating healthy is more expensive is ridiculous, in my opinion. First of all, to eat healthy you can eat rice and beans and some vegetables. The problem is that many people include meat as the main staple in their diet, which is more expensive.

But besides that, I have always looked at it like this: the cost of your food should not be counted on its own. People should calculate Overall Health Costs. (This is what I've always believed.) You MUST calculate the costs of your groceries AS WELL AS any medical and doctors bills. You can also include your gym membership or health equipment if you want. Once you realize that the person spending $150 a week on food is actually spending less once you factor in the costs of the person spending $65 a week for cheap crap who also spends $300 a month on diabetes medication, and add his insurance and medical costs, co-pays and insurance costs, as well as any other doctors bills or tax money payments (Medicare/Medicaid), not to mention all of the money going to medications, you will see that eating healthy is FAR less expensive that eating a crappy diet that looks cheaper up front. Plus, how do you measure the cost of having to sleep with a C-Pap machine? You wouldn't pay an extra $100 a month to give that up? Really? I don't understand how people don't realize that their "Dollar Menu" is going to cost them another $10 in medical costs for that meal. Or more.

And to conclude my little rant: going on and on about "how hard" something is just makes problems worse. That kind of attitude defeats people before they can even begin. Things are only as difficult as you make them. If we don't start looking at the positives in things, we are just making it more difficult for everyone. If you can't say, "I can do this," then why even bother? If you say you can't, you're right. If you say you can, well, you're right then, too. So do us all a favor, and let's start saying we can.
    (Oh, crap, I think I channelled my inner Obama right there!) :blushing: