flat footed runners...foot pain/new shoes...

Options
So, this is my first time buying running shoes. I bought Nike Air pegasus which is geared toward the flat footed runner. though my foot does feel more supported, i am still getting the same foot pains. Is it because this is my first run in them? Im hoping this pain will eventually subside.

thoughts?

Replies

• Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I just found out I have fallen arches!!!!!!! I would say you need a good arch support to boot , no pun intended.......
    I started feeling relief after about a week but still have some pain.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    need more info, what kind of pain , did you warm properly, when did it start hurting why did you think new shoes where the answer?
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but a walker. Where is the foot pain? If its in your heal, you may have plantar fasciitis. I have it and there are days that just putting my feet on the floor is very painful. Might need to go to a podiatrist
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    the foot pain is located in the central area of my foot (arch)

I bought new shoes because my knees were starting to hurt when running. New shoes fit great, but i did get some slight pain in my right foot while joggin this morning (first time wearing the shoes) but it seemed to be from the support of the arch and my foot not being used to that.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    and i don't get foot pain while walking, its just while running.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    need more info, what kind of pain , did you warm properly, when did it start hurting why did you think new shoes where the answer?
    Got new shoes because my old ones were shot, and my knees were starting to hurt. These Nike's are supposed to be good for people with flat feet. Im hoping its just because of the foot not being used to the support...or I just got a pair or running shoes for nothing!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Relax, Phil. The shoes need a "break-in" and so do your feet. Go easy for the first 10 miles, or so, in them and see if the pain eases up each time you run in them. I run 6+ miles a day but when I break in a new pair of R/S's I get shin splints 2 miles in. I switch to used shoes to finish my run and after about a week or so the new ones are good to go.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Relax, Phil. The shoes need a "break-in" and so do your feet. Go easy for the first 10 miles, or so, in them and see if the pain eases up each time you run in them. I run 6+ miles a day but when I break in a new pair of R/S's I get shin splints 2 miles in. I switch to used shoes to finish my run and after about a week or so the new ones are good to go.
    Thanks dude! thats what i figured. i was good up until about 10 minutes into the workout then the pain started again. I'll see where im at in a week or so.
  • techcommdood
    techcommdood Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Phil, do yourself well to return the sneakers and go here: http://www.fleetfeetbuffalo.com/

I can only speak of my experience with the one in Albany NY, but they will listen, they will test, and they have a no questions asked return policy (within reason - they can't be beaten up) should you still have pain issues.
  • 311Phil
    Options
    Phil, do yourself well to return the sneakers and go here: http://www.fleetfeetbuffalo.com/

I can only speak of my experience with the one in Albany NY, but they will listen, they will test, and they have a no questions asked return policy (within reason - they can't be beaten up) should you still have pain issues.
    Thanks dude. Either way I need to get shoes from Nike (got a gift card for them...bought these shoes with it) But i will definitely stop in there and see what they say. We also have "the good feet store" up here...when i get a chance im defnitely gonna check these places out. Thanks!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The Nike Pegasus is NOT a stability shoe it's a neutral cushioning shoe.

It's unlikely to be suitable for a flat footed overpronator.

Who told you to buy it???
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options

Yea, good point, nines.... I figured he got proper fitting and advice at the store. Prolly better off with something like Lunar or Zoom since you want to use your Nike card.
  • tonibaker
    Options
    I have awful flat feet and delt with foot pain most my life . I have found the only shoe I can wear for running is the Brook's Ariel's. These are called the beast for the men's.
  • 311Phil
    Options

both the Nike Shoe finder and the store advised the shoe. i find this very unfortunate that its not the right kind :(
  • 311Phil
    Options
    So I returned those shoes and ended up getting the Nike Lunar Glide
    The Nike LunarGlide+ 2

Sometimes a sequel is even better than the original. Case in point: the Nike LunarGlide+ 2 Men's Running shoe. It delivers the plush cushioning and Dynamic Support of the original LunarGlide, along with better fit and comfort.

Benefits
    Best for underpronators to moderate overpronators
    Lunarlon cushioning for ultra-lightweight, springy cushioning
    Dynamic support that adapts to your stride throughout your run
    Extended Flywire panels for ultra-light, ultra-strong support

Fit
    The breathable mesh upper is nearly stitch-free for reduced irritation, and an inner-sleeve wraps around the foot for exceptional comfort. The Flywire panel of the original LunarGlide has been extended further back for a more secure fit and better support around the midfoot and heel.

Cushioning
    Soft doesn't have to mean mushy when it comes to cushioning. The Lunarlon cushioning system in this men's running shoe delivers lightweight, springy cushioning for soft yet responsive shock absorption.

Support
    Runners have different strides, and any one runner's stride can change from mile one to mile five. The Dynamic Support platform of the LunarGlide adapts to your stride throughout your run for on-demand support and a dynamic ride, making it ideal for underpronators to moderate overpronators.

Additional Details
    Reflective elements for enhanced visibility in low light
    Environmentally preferred rubber outsole for durability
    Carbon rubber under the heel for abrasion resistance
    Waffle pattern outsole for traction
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The Pegasus in not a shoe for flat footed runners. I have high arches and that is the shoe I run in. Someone gave you some bad advice. Hope you find the right pair of shoes.
  • maller07
    Options
    A few years ago I was having the same problem. I have really flat feet so it's always been a challenge to find comfortable shoes. Someone suggested that I get the Superfeet insoles. They are a little spendy ($40 I think) but totally worth it! Haven't had any foot pain since I started using them! You can find them at any sporting goods store.
  • dalbers
    Options
    Sorry I didnt read all the replies.

My opinion on this is strong because I threw thousands away in therapy and shoes learning this lesson.

You should not solve a problem with shoes unless you first get your technique checked and learn proper running technique. We all assume we know how to run correctly, when in fact, very few of us do.

All shoes can do, in the end, is REDUCE problems. Good technique can eliminate them.

Please see a qualified running coach or atheletic therapist who can assess your technique and work with you to correct it. If they suggest shoes, THEN get shoes.
  • awilburn
    Options
    I know this seems silly, but sometimes losening your laces can help. Maybe you're tieing your shoes too tight. Have you been to a specialized running store? Take your old running shoes with you and explain your pain to them. They should be able to help you find a better match.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Proud flat footer here lol

I honestly have never had foot pains while running. I'd probably just guess it was new shoes. Every shoe I buy takes a few days to break in...even casual ones