nothing for 3 weeks? am i doing this wrong!?

Options

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    there are a few extremely good threads on this forum about so called starvation mode and about eating back your exercise calories. I'd suggest giving those a read too, to have both sides of the arguments, before unquestioningly following the customary "oh it must be starvation mode" advice on this site.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Three weeks - 7 pounds. That is MORE than 2 pounds a week!! Way to go!

The body doesn't necessarily lose weight at a nice, steady rate of oh...say...2 pounds every Wednesday at 9:18 pm :laugh: It may be a week or three before a pound or three drop off.
    Truer words were never spoken. I had finally gotten into a nice rhythym when I had my little hiatus the last couple of weeks.
  • lodro
    Options
    I think a lot of people jump in too fast to the diet part, and too slowly to the exercise part. Figure out your maintenance calories (what it would take to maintain your current weight.) BMR calculators can tell you that. Then try 4 weeks at a 500 calorie deficit. It will be higher than what you are getting now, but still enough to lose 0.5-1 pound a week. Continue the exercise you are doing, just increase by a few minutes every few days, you will see better losses. After 4 weeks evaluate whether you would rather exercise more, or cut more calories, but don't cut more than a 1000 daily from your maintenance number, and never go below the 1200 daily net calories.
    Good luck!

exercise doesn't have that much of an impact on weightloss, i think. the 1200 net Calories/daily likewise isn't true for everyone.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options

exercise doesn't have that much of an impact on weightloss, i think. the 1200 net Calories/daily likewise isn't true for everyone.

While I definitely agree with the second half of your statement, I think the first half is a little...........(trying to think of a nice, polite way to say this)....wrong.

1200 net calories....make sure you get your 1200......just stay close to 1200.....you need to focus on your 1200...ugh. I get so sick of hearing people dish out the 1200 advice. I agree with you that the 1200 is NOT for everyone, even if the Powers-that-Be-at-MFP recommend it.

The "exercise doesnt have that much of an impact on weight loss" part is really not true. Exercise has a HUGE impact on weight loss. Giant. I understand some people have an arsenal of reasons (ahem, excuses) as to why they "cant" exercise, but the fact is you need a healthy balance of good food choices (diet) and exercise to really see results and positive changes. Sure, there are people who lose weight through calorie-dropping alone, but it is incorrect to say that "exercise doesnt have much impact on weight loss".
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    sounds to me like starvation mode - I was the same just coming in under 1200 cals a day - never lost anything for 2 weeks, upped my cals this last week to just over 1200 (dont mind going up to 1300 cals in some days) and ended up losing 2.4lbs!
  • lodro
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health
    From a practical perspective, then, exercise is never going to be an effective way of slimming, unless you have the training schedule – and the willpower – of an Olympic athlete. "It's simple maths," says Professor Paul Gately, of the Carnegie Weight Management institution in Leeds. "If you want to lose a pound of body fat, then that requires you to run from Leeds to Nottingham, but if you want to do it through diet, you just have to skip a meal for seven days." Both Jebb and Gately are keen to stress that there is plenty of evidence that exercise can add value to a diet: "It certainly does maximise the amount you lose as fat rather than tissue," Jebb points out. But Gately sums it up: "Most people, offered the choice, are going to go for the diet, because it's easier to achieve."

There's another, more insidious, problem with pinning all your hopes for a holiday bod on exercise. In what has become a defining experiment at the University of Louisiana, led by Dr Timothy Church, hundreds of overweight women were put on exercise regimes for a six-month period. Some worked out for 72 minutes each week, some for 136 minutes, and some for 194. A fourth group kept to their normal daily routine with no additional exercise.

Against all the laws of natural justice, at the end of the study, there was no significant difference in weight loss between those who had exercised – some of them for several days a week – and those who hadn't. (Church doesn't record whether he told the women who he'd had training for three and half hours a week, or whether he was wearing protective clothing when he did.) Some of the women even gained weight.

Church identified the problem and called it "compensation": those who exercised cancelled out the calories they had burned by eating more, generally as a form of self-reward. The post-workout pastry to celebrate a job well done – or even a few pieces of fruit to satisfy their stimulated appetites – undid their good work. In some cases, they were less physically active in their daily life as well.

His findings are backed up by a paper on childhood obesity published in 2008 by Boston academics Steven Gortmaker and Kendrin Sonneville. In an 18-month study investigating what they call "the energy gap" – the daily imbalance between energy intake and expenditure — the pair showed that when the children in their experiment exercised, they ended up eating more than the calories they had just burned, sometimes 10 or 20 times as many. "Although physical activity is thought of as an energy-deficit activity," they wrote, "our estimates do not support this hypothesis."
  • jackyd08
    jackyd08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I just read your post and agree totally! I have been struggling to lose and been disappointed at losing 1lb a week when i have another 49lbs to lose! I have just upped the exercise to include boxercise and swimming and hope to do at least 400cals from exercise with the aim to end at no more than 1000 cals net. I have an under active thyroid and struggle to lose weight but am working out that i need to up the exercise if i want a steady 2lb a week.
  • jammyone
    Options
    Where is the fat in your diet?
  • AmeMahoney
    Options
    Definitely not enough calories. And you need to take your measurements. That will tell you how you're really doing.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/sep/19/exercise-dieting-public-health
    From a practical perspective, then, exercise is never going to be an effective way of slimming, unless you have the training schedule – and the willpower – of an Olympic athlete. "It's simple maths," says Professor Paul Gately, of the Carnegie Weight Management institution in Leeds. "If you want to lose a pound of body fat, then that requires you to run from Leeds to Nottingham, but if you want to do it through diet, you just have to skip a meal for seven days." Both Jebb and Gately are keen to stress that there is plenty of evidence that exercise can add value to a diet: "It certainly does maximise the amount you lose as fat rather than tissue," Jebb points out. But Gately sums it up: "Most people, offered the choice, are going to go for the diet, because it's easier to achieve."

There's another, more insidious, problem with pinning all your hopes for a holiday bod on exercise. In what has become a defining experiment at the University of Louisiana, led by Dr Timothy Church, hundreds of overweight women were put on exercise regimes for a six-month period. Some worked out for 72 minutes each week, some for 136 minutes, and some for 194. A fourth group kept to their normal daily routine with no additional exercise.

Against all the laws of natural justice, at the end of the study, there was no significant difference in weight loss between those who had exercised – some of them for several days a week – and those who hadn't. (Church doesn't record whether he told the women who he'd had training for three and half hours a week, or whether he was wearing protective clothing when he did.) Some of the women even gained weight.

Church identified the problem and called it "compensation": those who exercised cancelled out the calories they had burned by eating more, generally as a form of self-reward. The post-workout pastry to celebrate a job well done – or even a few pieces of fruit to satisfy their stimulated appetites – undid their good work. In some cases, they were less physically active in their daily life as well.

His findings are backed up by a paper on childhood obesity published in 2008 by Boston academics Steven Gortmaker and Kendrin Sonneville. In an 18-month study investigating what they call "the energy gap" – the daily imbalance between energy intake and expenditure — the pair showed that when the children in their experiment exercised, they ended up eating more than the calories they had just burned, sometimes 10 or 20 times as many. "Although physical activity is thought of as an energy-deficit activity," they wrote, "our estimates do not support this hypothesis."

I think this goes to the question of what is your goal? To lose weight? OK, stop eating. You will lose weight. To lose weight and be healthy and "shapely"? You're going to need some exercise in there. They also went strictly by weight and not by measurements, so it's not necessarily a true study of body fat loss between the two groups. Those exercising, even eating more, might have lost more inches - check out P90X - some major exercising, but no calorie deficit, and people still change body shape. (Granted the no-deficit does not mean McDonald's and donuts...)

Now, if they had both groups at a 500 cal deficit, at similar health(ier) foods, and went by measurements and not just weight, and had one group exercise and one group just strictly diet, I would bet those with exercise (providing eating back their exercise, but maintaining a 500 deficit) would lose (maybe more weight) more inches, not to mention be not be flabby skinny like so many people.

short point - don't just go by the scale readout to measure success in "weight loss" unless your goal is just to see the # go down, and not do anything else for yourself.
  • gdunn55
    Options

That doesn't prove anything hoss. It says in the article that they ate food to compensate the burned calories. Weight loss is simple.. Burn more than you put in.
  • a2canadian
    Options
    you weigh 224 and are surviving on 1200 calories?! eek... that's just brutal. Think about how much you were eating before your lifestyle change and try to cut that ammount by 500 calories a day (this should include a substantial ammount of exercise). There is just no excuse for not exercising enough... trust me... if you want the time in your day, you will find it!
  • gdunn55
    Options
    you weigh 224 and are surviving on 1200 calories?! eek... that's just brutal. Think about how much you were eating before your lifestyle change and try to cut that ammount by 500 calories a day (this should include a substantial ammount of exercise). There is just no excuse for not exercising enough... trust me... if you want the time in your day, you will find it!
    You don't even have to join a gym.. You can't go outside because the weather doesn't cooperate, you can do prisoner squats, push ups, curls.. The sky's the limit.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Wow. That is the first time ive ever read an article opposed to exercise. I completely disagree with it based on my own personal experiences, and I think its pretty silly to post on a FITNESS website....but if it works for someone else, I wish them well.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people jump in too fast to the diet part, and too slowly to the exercise part. Figure out your maintenance calories (what it would take to maintain your current weight.) BMR calculators can tell you that.

Sorry gotta clarify this- BMR does NOT tell you what you burn in a day. No, it tells you what you would burn in a day in a coma, keeping your basic functions going. To get the amount of calories you burn in a typical day, go to the "My Home" tab> Goals On the right hand side it should say "Diet Profile" and there should be a number "Calories Burned...From Daily Activity" THIS is the number from which you should be subtracting 500 calories. NOT your BMR.

I actually use my BMR as my guideline to steer away from triggering starvation response- I make sure my NET is roughly enough to support my basic bodily function and exercise. So my lowest is 1300+exercise and my highest is 1400+exercise.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I just took another look at the BMR on MFP and it only calculates basic life function needs, so don't take 500 calories off that number! Some calculators factor in activity and give a maintenance calorie number, that is the one to take 500 off of. You could use the BMR number on here as your actual daily goal, no math needed.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

Sorry gotta clarify this- BMR does NOT tell you what you burn in a day. No, it tells you what you would burn in a day in a coma, keeping your basic functions going. To get the amount of calories you burn in a typical day, go to the "My Home" tab> Goals On the right hand side it should say "Diet Profile" and there should be a number "Calories Burned...From Daily Activity" THIS is the number from which you should be subtracting 500 calories. NOT your BMR.

^^This^^

Do this to find what MFP calculates your maintenance to be and subtract 500 a day to lose 1 pound a week. BMR is NOT what you base your deficit on.
  • lodro
    Options
    The article I posted is not opposed to exercise. It only points out that exercise is of minimal importance as a weight loss tool.
  • gdunn55
    Options
    The article I posted is not opposed to exercise. It only points out that exercise is of minimal importance as a weight loss tool.
    I'm no doctor, but I strongly believe that exercise is an important tool. You've got to get your blood to flowing somehow. That's just me.
  • MrX8503
    Options
    Your'e eating 1200 a day? Is this what MFP told you to eat when you entered in your height/weight/etc? Follow what MFP suggested and eat that NET calorie amount. If you can't eat that much, plan your foods out and force yourself to eat it. You're doing more harm than good by not eating.

Something to remember is that you can't rush losing weight and if you do, its not healthy or pleasant, and you won't look as good as the next person who lost it slowly. Stick to 1-2lbs a week.

If you lose weight fast, especially with minimal exercise, your body will burn a lot of your muscle off. This leads to an undefined body.

1. Eat your NET Calories. (At your weight I don't think 1200 is the right amount)
    2. Exercise (At least 3 times a week)
    3. Eat your fats, carbs, and proteins.
    4. Take a multivitamin